VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    $25 for crap still results in crap discs in the end. I suppose it's worth repeating but...
    the ONLY consistently reliable DVDs available in the USA and Canada are made by Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim (with the possible exception of their cheap DataLife series, which is different from the excellent DataLifePlus series). The only exception I know of is that sometimes Sony discs sold in North America are actually made by either Taiyo Yuden or MCC (I don't remember which), but you have to know how to identify them to get the good ones and many Sony discs are made by low quality manufacturers. Philips always uses the low quality manufacturers for DVDs sold in North America.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have burned 900 Philiphs DVDRs & CDRs only 5 to 7 got messed up I really like Philips
    Quote Quote  
  3. The main issue may not be initial burn reliability, but if they will play in 2-3 years time.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  4. I've seen a lot of it come down to the DVD drive actually. Granted, depending on what you're using your discs for they are more likely to die from being scratched than because the media itself is crappy.

Taiyo Yuden is certainly the best, but in practice they haven't outlasted any of my other "crappy" discs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alexstarfire View Post

Taiyo Yuden is certainly the best, but in practice they haven't outlasted any of my other "crappy" discs.
    It's not hard to find many posts to the contrary here. And we get plenty of "Why do my burns fail?" or "Why won't my burns play?" posts when burning to crap media.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Taiyo Yuden sucks Sony Verbatim Imation are the best Philips are still really good if you want a good deal
    Quote Quote  
  7. I've seen plenty as well and it usually comes to one of three things: crappy burner, crappy media, or a bad batch of media. Bad batch of media is more likely than crappy media. Though, crappy media seems to have a higher chance of bad batches.
    Quote Quote