VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. Watching a Toshiba RD-XS35 on eBay, which according to the Digital FAQ is one of the best DVD Recorders ever made. The built-in DVR is a nice feature too, especially because my cable package does not warrant one, and I'm too cheap and lazy to get TiVo.

When the time left on the listing hits all-naughts, and if I'm the winning bidder, how much would be a "safe" amount to have to pay? I bought a new DVD Recorder two years ago and it was $300. Keep in mind too that the seller is asking for $20 for shipping.

Another queston I have is does the DVDR have a three-hour recording mode?

Search Comp PM
    These sold for $225 + shipping last year. So in the $200-300 range, I'd imagine.
    Good for VHS conversions and TV recordings.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS

3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't believe everything you read..... the Toshiba DVD recorder models like the RD-SX32 and SX35 were very good recorders for the era they came out in, around 2003-2004, but by today's standards they are lacking. For one thing, the DVD drives were prone to early failure and very difficult to replace. Secondly, the DVD drive will only record to DVD-R/RW and DVD-RAM. Disc editing features are extensive, one has to really absorb the manual to understand what can be done with recorded video. The tuner is analog, ok for recording straight from your cable box video out or your analog cable line if you have one. You are able to set manual recording modes for 2hr, 4hr and 6hr recording,
    but anything other than XP 1hr or SP 2hr mode is useless, picture-wise.

You'd be better off trying to get newer model Philips or Magnavox DVD recorders with hard drives...... such as the Philips DVDR 3575/76
    which once in a while pops up on EBay for around $300 or so..... and, the last I remember, WalMart was still selling Magnavox hdd recorders. At least these units have digital tuners, record to both +RW and -RW, have simple editing features, and are much less complicated to use than those old Toshibas. I know, I have one of those RD-SX32's and a Philips 3575...... I hardly ever use the Toshiba any more, especially to record TV shows on the hard drive, editing is a real pain, so is naming programs after recording.

Do some more research before committing yourself to buying a seven-year old dvd recorder.........

4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not a Toshiba expert(although I do have a XS-35 that I haven't even used) I got it for $120 on Craigslist and it looks like new. I don't believe the XS35 has a 3hr speed per say, but it does have MN speeds(like Pioneers) where you can have any speed between something like 1hr-8hrs/DVD.
    I too have read the lore about this model(actually the whole XS series) recorders, which is why I bought it. Now I just need the time to start playing with it......From what I understand the Picture Quality is supposed to be second to none and it has features galore, almost like a PC. It's Achilles heel would be it's fragile burner. Mine works(or at least it did with the short demo the seller showed me) but it's something to keep in mind.
    Note this model uses analog TVGOS which isn't OTA although it may be on a few cable systems. My local Comcast recently stopped sending TVGOS so I must manually program my Panasonics w/TVGOS, the Tosh should be similar.
    If you're lucky Simbal?? may see your post. I haven't seen him for a while but he was a big Toshiba fan and would know much more than me.

edit: I kind of agree with Joecass, unless you're a longtime Toshiba owner and really know it well, it might be a bit old and complicated for a first time user. The Magnavox he spoke of earlier is quite good although personally I wouldn't use it for over 2hrs/DVD since it drops to 1/2 D1 resolution(I'm not positive what the XS does but I though it kept full D1 for longer than SP, although I pass to Joe since I really haven't used it). Getting 3hrs of full D1 on one SL DVD is why I really like my Panasonic recorders. You can get up to 4hrs but anything over 3hrs(and lately I like to use 2hrs 42 minutes) macroblocking in areas of fast movement(or even with a noisy analog signal) becomes a real issue. So if you must have 3hrs and want it to be full D1 I'd suggest a Panasonic or maybe a Pioneer(although Pios are no longer made and the company is basically out of business). You can get a new International Panasonic from grey market dealers but note they don't have a US tuner and do use the International IRE for line inputs which means you must darken the input to produce DVDs with the proper spec black level. This isn't a problem if recording from most DVD players that have a DARKER setting(many do) but most other line output devices(like STBs or DVRs don't). For this reason you might want to look for a US Panasonic which '06 was the last year of production. The EH-55 is a nice model(I have 2) but they tend to get bid up pretty high.
    DVDRs with a HDD are basically dead in the US, other than the Maggy/Philips that was mentioned.
    If interested in Panasonics check out this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1134909
    Last edited by jjeff; 3rd Sep 2010 at 20:06.

5. Wow, some intriguing and differing opinions here!

joecass: I thought this machine came out in 2005, not 2003, but that's neither here nor there. And trust me, I've done plenty of research. And while this model may not be the absolute best DVDR ever made, it's the best fit for me right now.

jjeff: I'm not a first-time DVDR user (I have a Panasonic, but it's probably a crappy one because it's from 2008), and I never record longer than LP, but in a perfect world I'd like to never go longer than SP. Whether or not DVDR/DVR combos are dead or not really isn't a concern with me.

Lordsmurf: All I plan on doing is recording from TV and doing a few VHS conversions here and there for family members, and this sounds like the near-perfect DVDR to do so with.

I'll keep watching the item and see how high the price goes.
    Last edited by cbehr91; 3rd Sep 2010 at 20:21.

6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes the '07 through current years US EZ Panasonics are really buggy, nothing like the pre '07 and International EH series Panasonics. If your heart is really set on the XS35 then I'd check out your local Craigslist.org. It's where I got my XS35 and I still see them occasionally in my area. With CL you don't have to hassle with shipping and I just feel better buying locally. I think the XS35 is a '06 year model, same as the Panasonic EH-55 and most consider '06 to be the pinnacle year of DVDRs. Before that the format was maturing and after it cheeped out and went to the Walmart mentality of cheaper is better.
    Good luck!
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=18578347#post18578347 More XS35 threads.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by joecass View Post
    Don't believe everything you read..... the Toshiba DVD recorder models like the RD-SX32 and SX35 were very good recorders for the era they came out in, around 2003-2004, but by today's standards they are lacking. For one thing, the DVD drives were prone to early failure and very difficult to replace. Secondly, the DVD drive will only record to DVD-R/RW and DVD-RAM. Disc editing features are extensive, one has to really absorb the manual to understand what can be done with recorded video. The tuner is analog, ok for recording straight from your cable box video out or your analog cable line if you have one. You are able to set manual recording modes for 2hr, 4hr and 6hr recording, but anything other than XP 1hr or SP 2hr mode is useless, picture-wise. You'd be better off trying to get newer model Philips or Magnavox DVD recorders with hard drives...... such as the Philips DVDR 3575/76 which once in a while pops up on EBay for around $300 or so..... and, the last I remember, WalMart was still selling Magnavox hdd recorders. At least these units have digital tuners, record to both +RW and -RW, have simple editing features, and are much less complicated to use than those old Toshibas. I know, I have one of those RD-SX32's and a Philips 3575...... I hardly ever use the Toshiba any more, especially to record TV shows on the hard drive, editing is a real pain, so is naming programs after recording. Do some more research before committing yourself to buying a seven-year old dvd recorder.........
    Much of what you said is invalid for the best quality transfer of VHS.

With their end-of-life models, Philips and Magnavox decks had nice machines for recording from cable/antenna/satellite, but were awful for VHS work. It would transfer all of the noise to the new DVD. Many times, the noise would inhibit good MPEG encoding, so you'd have a blocky DVD of noisy VHS quality video. That's no good.

Age has nothing to do with this. It's well known that the best machines were created from about 2004 to 2006, when it comes to DVD recorders. Computer capture cards follow a similar trend, with the best ones having been released from about 2002 to 2006. Most "newer" gear is stripped-down dummy-friendly crap that lacks filters, with few exceptions. Consumer were largely too stupid to understand the features that were present in the older-but-better gear, so it sadly died away, replaced by cheap idiot-proofed junk. You also miss the dates, as the Toshiba XS35 is not 7 years old -- more like 4-5 years old.

I don't suggest anybody use editing features on any DVD recorder. They are all crap. Use the computer for editing.

DVD-R and DVD-RW is fine.

I have quite a few discs that are brilliant quality up to 4 hours in length off the Toshiba decks. The 3-hour speeds are gorgeous, using Half D1, good bitrates, and clean encoding with filter engaged.

Lordsmurf: All I plan on doing is recording from TV and doing a few VHS conversions here and there for family members, and this sounds like the near-perfect DVDR to do so with.
    And this is a great deck for VHS conversions. It will record TV just fine, too. I actually use a Philips 3575 for my TV recording, but not everybody can have multiple DVD recorders. If I had to suggest just one of the two units, I'd opt for the Toshiba.

This advice is based purely on what you've stated you want to do, and the unusual availability of a hard-to-find machine. Don't be talked out of this great deck.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 4th Sep 2010 at 04:41.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS

8. I picked up an XS-35 from a local ad site like craigslist for $40 that only needed the DVD drive spindle cleaned. I just bought one on ebay that was giving an error message about data corrupted for a little less than $70, all it needed was a HDD format. There's deals to be had, you just need to keep a close eye on listings.

The XS-35 was a 2006 model, not 2003-2004, and is an AMAZING machine. No Funai junk comes anywhere near it.

The downside of the XS-35 for me is the TVGOS. All timer recording is tied to the guide. It may be great if you have cable, if you don't, it sucks. They should have the option to disable the guide and do everything through easy navi like the recorders without the guide.

The HDDs can be easily replaced on the XS-35 also. I tried an old WD 160GB drive I have laying around in mine, they come with a Maxtor, the WD worked fine.
    Last edited by samijubal; 27th Nov 2010 at 02:32.

9. I have this gorgeous machine and love it! It is so easy to use and the picture is crisp. The editing features are pretty good, but, as someone here said, if you want precise edits, use the PC. However, I do wish it had 1080p up-conversion. Also, the TV Guide feature went by the wayside when I switched providers. Oh, well, today, I can get my listings online.

10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by samijubal View Post
    The downside of the XS-35 for me is the TVGOS. All timer recording is tied to the guide. It may be great if you have cable, if you don't, it sucks. They should have the option to disable the guide and do everything through easy navi like the recorders without the guide.
    Read the manual again. You can program a recording for any day and time you want manually, up to 8 hours of recording can be set and about 8 program presets. The machine date and time can be re-set manually, too. I never used the Guide, period.

I don't know if anyone answered, but the 3-hour pre-set recording mode is mode "M". In the system setup menu you can set any recording length you want by changing the bitrate in 2KB increments. Anything below 4000 records at half-D1. 3 hours (3000) is about as low as I'd go with this machine to get decent quality. I usually have it set for 151-minute recording or XP.

After about 5 years I had the optical drive replaced by Toshiba. So far I've made about 3,000 DVD discs with my XS34, almost all of which I still have in DVD albums and a couple hundred movies on hard dives. I've also recorded high-bitrate 2-hour or longer broadcasts in XP 1-hour mode, cut the recording into sections on the HDD, burned the sections to DVD-RW, copied them to the PC and authored them for dual-layer DVD. Very versatile machine. Be advised, though, that it cuts edits only on i-frames -- so copy to a PC if you want to get fancy.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 4th Nov 2015 at 18:31.
    - My sister Ann's brother

11. Read the manual again. You can program a recording for any day and time you want manually, up to 8 hours of recording can be set and about 8 program presets. The machine date and time can be re-set manually, too. I never used the Guide, period.

I don't know if anyone answered, but the 3-hour pre-set recording mode is mode "M". In the system setup menu you can set any recording length you want by changing the bitrate in 2KB increments. Anything below 4000 records at half-D1. 3 hours (3000) is about as low as I'd go with this machine to get decent quality. I usually have it set for 151-minute recording or XP.

After about 5 years I had the optical drive replaced by Toshiba. So far I've made about 3,000 DVD discs with my XS34, almost all of which I still have in DVD albums and a couple hundred movies on hard dives. I've also recorded high-bitrate 2-hour or longer broadcasts in XP 1-hour mode, cut the recording into sections on the HDD, burned the sections to DVD-RW, copied them to the PC and authored them for dual-layer DVD. Very versatile machine. Be advised, though, that it cuts edits only on i-frames -- so copy to a PC if you want to get fancy.
    Yeah, I have been able to use the timer even after the TV Guide stopped working. 3000! That means I have a lot of life left on mine - I have burned about 50 since 2006.

12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @LMotlow It doesn't make much sense to correct a post that is 5 years old, regarding a machine that has been out of production for 10 years. This thread originally ended in 2010, before musicollector grave-robbed it, for no good reason.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 4th Nov 2015 at 21:21.

13. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    ^^It doesn't make much sense to correct a post that is 5 years old, regarding a machine that has been out of production for 10 years. This thread originally ended in 2010, before musicollector grave-robbed it, for no good reason.
    So you say. What the hell do you know? You know who is still active on the forums, do you? Adding to a post can help someone else in the future, just like it did me. Opinions are like a$$holes. Everyone has one. So, keep yours.

14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by musicollector View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    ^^It doesn't make much sense to correct a post that is 5 years old, regarding a machine that has been out of production for 10 years. This thread originally ended in 2010, before musicollector grave-robbed it, for no good reason.
    So you say. What the hell do you know? You know who is still active on the forums, do you? Adding to a post can help someone else in the future, just like it did me. Opinions are like a$$holes. Everyone has one. So, keep yours.
    You must be mentally impaired. After 10 years the majority of these machines are now recycled or occupying a landfill and damned few people who have never owned one before would pay the kind of money asked for a vintage Toshiba DVD recorder.

Almost every thread ever posted at VideoHelp becomes outdated. Updating them all would be silly. Presumably if someone has a question, they will have enough brains to ask it.

..but you didn't dig this thread up to ask a question. You were posting out of sheer nostalgia when you grave robbed. Even the moderators here would prefer that people don't dig up a dead thread for no reason other than to reminisce about the good old days.
    I have this gorgeous machine and love it! It is so easy to use and the picture is crisp. The editing features are pretty good, but, as someone here said, if you want precise edits, use the PC. However, I do wish it had 1080p up-conversion. Also, the TV Guide feature went by the wayside when I switched providers. Oh, well, today, I can get my listings online.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 4th Nov 2015 at 21:48.

15. Well, don't f**ing give me your advice. I will bloody well post what I want. If you don't like it, move on. You are not my father or the guardian of the Internet. The only mentally impaired POS is you. I have been on the Net since 1988. So don't give me your shit. I will not take it. You mistook me for someone who gives a f** what you have to say, moron. F** off.

16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, don't f**ing give me your advice. I will bloody well post what I want. If you don't like it, move on. You are not my father or the guardian of the Internet. The only mentally impaired POS is you. I have been on the Net since 1988. So don't give me your shit. I will not take it. You mistook me for someone who gives a f** what you have to say, moron. F** off.
    Someone who has been on the Internet since 1988 should know that grave-robbing is something to be avoided.

17. Been there done that. I know all that crap. Don't need Internet 101 from you. FYI, I rob what I want, when I want. Rules are there for me to ignore them. But it delights me that you are annoyed. Mission accomplished!

18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Been there done that. I know all that crap. Don't need Internet 101 from you. FYI, I rob what I want, when I want. Rules are there for me to ignore them. But it delights me that you are annoyed. Mission accomplished!
    9 times out of 10 grave robbers are trolling. I wondered how long it would take me to get you to reveal that you are a troll. LOL

19. Member
    Search PM
    @LMotlow It doesn't make much sense to correct a post that is 5 years old, regarding a machine that has been out of production for 10 years. This thread originally ended in 2010, before musicollector grave-robbed it, for no good reason.
    The good reason is current information that the product is still good stuff, is still sold, and is still purchased and used by lots of people. Not everyone hates DVD (is that why it still outsells BluRay and streaming?).

Anyway, folks, I think you'll find some recent posts in several forums from people who are interested in these and similar machines. I believe there are still discussions about JVC 9800 VCR's for restoration, which disappeared years before the RD-XS34/35 showed up, and Toshiba and 2000-era Panasonic DVDR's for tbc pass-thru. Sorry to hear you're not interested, but I've noticed you're not interested in a vast number of things and you get really upset when you don't understand why others don't share your disinterest. But that's your business.

20. "Grave-robber" - very steep vocabulary for a fool of the first degree. What the F*** makes you think I am a troll? How the hell do you define a troll? How is it that YOU are not the troll? I have just as much as right as you to surf wherever I want. I came here looking for some information about my machine - which I like. Because I was Googling my machine and found something and I posted something. I did not expect an imbecile such as you to engage me in this time-wasting debate. Who died and made you the self-professed custodian of the Internet? I am no longer interested in carrying on a dialog with someone below my level of intelligence. So, from now on, you can post to the walls, because I will not be responding to your incoherent blathering! STFU. I did not come here looking for a fight. You started it and I will end it here. F*** off and die, a$$hole!

21. Some pseudo-intellectual dribble unceremoniously, and mercifully,snipped
    The good reason is current information that the product is still good stuff, is still sold, and is still purchased and used by lots of people. Not everyone hates DVD (is that why it still outsells BluRay and streaming?).

Anyway, folks, I think you'll find some recent posts in several forums from people who are interested in these and similar machines. I believe there are still discussions about JVC 9800 VCR's for restoration, which disappeared years before the RD-XS34/35 showed up, and Toshiba and 2000-era Panasonic DVDR's for tbc pass-thru. Sorry to hear you're not interested, but I've noticed you're not interested in a vast number of things and you get really upset when you don't understand why others don't share your disinterest. But that's your business.
    Thank you, LMotlow. I appreciate some intelligent words, at last. Yes, indeed, there are many who own this machine and every bit of information helps someone out there, somewhere, some time. Yeah, the machine is no longer sold new but there are plenty out there being sold used.

22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post

I am still using a DVD recorder (see my computer details) buying/watching DVDs, and authoring DVDs. I have answered numerous questions about authoring DVDs. We have even been in the same DVD-related thread, so if you don't think I have any interest in these things you have not been paying attention.

[Edit]However. if you have suddenly decided to take on the task of updating/correcting every old thread you find that you think needs your help, you can expect to hear from a moderator about that, not just other members.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 4th Nov 2015 at 23:07. Reason: crappy bluetooth keyboard

23. Member
    Search PM
    I'm certain you still use a dvd recorder. You just don't seem to be very pleased with people who don't use the one you own.

[Edit]However. if you have suddenly decided to take on the task of updating/correcting every old thread you find that you think needs your help, you can expect to hear from a moderator about that, not just other members.
    No, I wouldn't dare try to correct anything with you around, not after responding to a thread that was already revived earlier. You're so much better at correcting others than just about anyone here. We'll leave that up to you. I know from 7 vears browsing this forum that you can be depended on for it.

24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    I'm certain you still use a dvd recorder. You just don't seem to be very pleased with people who don't use the one you own.
    Again, you are not making any sense. I often recommend Magnavox/Funai HDD DVD recorders because they are still being made and have an ATSC tuner that works pretty well. I'm sure not going to recommend buying older model DVD recorders (particularly expensive ones) to DVD recorder newbies, especially people who want to record OTA TV.