VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. When installing the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack, v6.3.5, I notice that I am given the option of associating the codecs with Media Player Classic, KMPlayer and WMP. But I am not given the option of including Nero v7.10 that is also installed on my PC. All the DVD discs I play on my PC play fine, both video and audio. But Nero only plays the video, not the audio.

I find Nero ShowTime's fast forward feature superior to the dozen or so video players that I have tried, which I use when previewing a new video compilation on my HDD, before burning to disc. Is there some way to configure the audio codecs in the K-Lite pack to be used by Nero ShowTime also?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Djard View Post
    Is there some way to configure the audio codecs in the K-Lite pack to be used by Nero ShowTime also?

The codecs are made available to any Windows program.
    Whether Nero uses them is a setting in Nero.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The association isn't for codecs it's for media files and DVD playback. Ie, which player you want to automatically play your media. Codecs are installed in the system -- any player can use them.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To continue from AlanHK and jagabo, two suggestions:

1) Many programs (I'm not familiar with ShowTime specifically) have in their Preferences an option to set file associations.

2) If ShowTime doesn't (and if you're using Windows), simply bring up Explorer, right-click on one of the media files in question, select Open With > Choose Program from the menu, highlight Nero Showtime, and check "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file." That should do it.

Best,

Calidore
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't install codec packs.
    This has been discussed many times lately.

Also notice what jagabo said. That's correct.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post

Just because you "discuss" something many, many times, butting in to every thread you find to repeat your opinion, doesn't actually prove anything, other than you are obsessive.

The idea is to help people solve problems, not provide a soapbox for you.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post

Just because you "discuss" something many, many times, butting in to every thread you find to repeat your opinion, doesn't actually prove anything, other than you are obsessive.

LOL!!!

The last 2 "codec" pack threads that have been posted, it's kind of ironic that the only person i was waiting for to post a reply was you......
    And of course in favor of them.....

You seem to be on your own soapbox in favor of them.....

No matter how many times YOU post in favor of them, and just because you post many many times in favor of them, does not mean they are a good thing....

Talk about the kettle calling the pot black.....

I have been a member here since almost the very start of this website, i have been insanely into video since the days when the only option was VHS to VHS & then later it took a day or two to encode a VCD, 700mb's, from a dvd, 12+ years, out of all those years i installed a codec pack maybe 3 times and it ended up being a clusterfuck each time!!!

The simple plain truth is, 99% of the people out there DL a codec pack and just install everything in it!!!!!!!
    Which is BAD!!!!!!!!!
    Because most people have no clue and just think installing everything in it is good!!!!!!!!

Just because you and i and most people around here know that is NOT a good idea, does not mean that the other 98% of the people out there understand this......

For the majority of people out there, codec packs are BAD!!!!!!!!!!!

People just need to read, learn and understand what they actually only need a few codecs and do not need to install the 100's of codecs available in a codec pack
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by noahtuck View Post
    Originally Posted by alanhk View Post
    don't install codec packs.

just because you "discuss" something many, many times, butting in to every thread you find to repeat your opinion, doesn't actually prove anything, other than you are obsessive.

lol!!!

The last 2 "codec" pack threads that have been posted, it's kind of ironic that the only person i was waiting for to post a reply was you......
    And of course in favor of them.....

You seem to be on your own soapbox in favor of them.....

no matter how many times you post in favor of them, and just because you post many many times in favor of them, does not mean they are a good thing....

Talk about the kettle calling the pot black.....

I have been a member here since almost the very start of this website, i have been insanely into video since the days when the only option was vhs to vhs & then later it took a day or two to encode a vcd, 700mb's, from a dvd, 12+ years, out of all those years i installed a codec pack maybe 3 times and it ended up being a clusterfuck each time!!!

The simple plain truth is, 99% of the people out there dl a codec pack and just install everything in it!!!!!!!
    Which is bad!!!!!!!!!
    Because most people have no clue and just think installing everything in it is good!!!!!!!!

Just because you and i and most people around here know that is not a good idea, does not mean that the other 98% of the people out there understand this......

For the majority of people out there, codec packs are bad!!!!!!!!!!!

People just need to read, learn and understand what they actually only need a few codecs and do not need to install the 100's of codecs available in a codec pack
    brilliantly said.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    videohelp.com
    video help
    help
    help also means avoiding problems
    avoiding problems = not installing codec packs (or uninstalling codec packs if mistake was already made)

This has been a public service announcement.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Huey, Dewey, and Louie.
    Or is it Moe. Larry and Curly?
    Turn up to congratulate each other on destroying yet another thread.

The problem of the OP is with Nero.
    But you turn up to put a fiery cross in every thread that even mentions "K-Lite", because you know it is the source of all evil. No need to anlayse or think, just blurt out the same lectures over and over.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I wanna be Curly, I wanna be Curly!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I always liked how Mel Gibson said "Moe" in one of the Lethal Weapon movies, so I'll take Moe, please!
    Noah gets to be Larry.

you turn up to put a fiery cross in every thread that even mentions "K-Lite", because you know it is the source of all evil. No need to anlayse or think, just blurt out the same lectures over and over.
    Yes, exactly. Until more people pull their head out of their lazy @$$ ("I don't want to install codecs one at a time, it's too hard, wah!") and stop installing stuff without thinking, some of us have to help be the pulse of common sense and scream DON'T INSTALL THAT YOU DUMMY! YOU'LL MESS UP THE COMPUTER! Install one codec at a time, or use a player that doesn't even need separate codecs (VLC or GOM, for instance).

Yep.

Notice how maybe 1 in every 100 posts (or posters), regarding the topic of k-lite, ever say "oh yes, that's a great program". There's a reason for that, you know. The other 99 have the problems.

For years and years, codec packs were hibernating. Only in the past 3-4 months have they re-appeared, like a cancer that came out of remission. Somewhere on this crazy internet, somebody (probably a warez scene, no doubt) is again proliferating the inept idea that codec packs are what you must install to watch "all kinds of videos".

K-lite: Just say no.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 2nd Sep 2010 at 02:58.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Notice how maybe 1 in every 100 posts (or posters), regarding the topic of k-lite, ever say "oh yes, that's a great program". There's a reason for that, you know. The other 99 have the problems.
    1) People don't post when they don't have problems.
    2) You make 95 of the 99 posts complaining about it. (Yeah, I made that up, same as you made up your statistics.)
    Last edited by AlanHK; 2nd Sep 2010 at 04:00.
    Quote Quote  
  14. OK, Alan, I get it, you like the K-lite codec pack.

You are just about the ONLY one I have EVER seen as a regular poster here. That goes back a long, long time.

As a PC Technician, I would NEVER, under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, recommend this software to a customer. This is based on the large numbers of reported problems, and personal experience testing what it does. Totally Unacceptable.

Since Alan is just about the only one who wants to help people use this software instead of remove it, I propose that ALL FUTURE QUESTIONS on the K-lite pack be directed to AlanHK. He could even have his own forum, and I would suggest using his personal e-mail account for a contact source.

Or we could just reply to all K-lite questions with a "PM this guy" link.

Just think of it, Alan, you could be THE SOURCE for enlightenment for this software. Users with questions from ALL OVER THE WORLD could be contacting YOU, and YOU ALONE, for accurate information about how to deal with its installation and other issues.

A few years ago there was some nutcase that kept coming on and bashing Vdub, he was either a real whackjob or the developer dumped his sister or something. This thing Alan has with K-lite is almost as bad.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Why would anyone NEED K-lite anyway?? I don't see the point of it. Wouldn't it just over-write everything in your registry and cause mayhem? Usually when you install some video or audio-related software it comes with it's own codecs built-in, OR, it will advise you what you need (eg LAME mp3 or whatever). Why install unnecessary garbage?

(EDIT: I've seen recent comments here (incl by a moderator I think?) recommending Format Factory as an all-in-one converter - which install K-Lite codec pack!!!?? WTF??)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    May I butt in? Or it is forbitten for the same reason you manage to force me out of the forum?

I'll do it, netherless....

latest ffdshow + vlc, rarelly mpc and you have all you need... Period!

Codec packs: Nightmare, destruction, evil!!!! It rapes your PC and send it to hell.

THERE IS NO REASON TO USE CODECS FOR JUST A COUPLE OF WIERDO FILES. If you are a masochist or on BDSM, then there are other ways to feed your wild insticts! Let your PC out!

Nuff said.
    La Linea by Osvaldo Cavandoli
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nelson37 View Post
    OK, Alan, I get it, you like the K-lite codec pack.

You are just about the ONLY one I have EVER seen as a regular poster here. That goes back a long, long time.

As a PC Technician, I would NEVER, under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, recommend this software to a customer. This is based on the large numbers of reported problems, and personal experience testing what it does. Totally Unacceptable.

Since Alan is just about the only one who wants to help people use this software instead of remove it, I propose that ALL FUTURE QUESTIONS on the K-lite pack be directed to AlanHK. He could even have his own forum, and I would suggest using his personal e-mail account for a contact source.

Or we could just reply to all K-lite questions with a "PM this guy" link.

Just think of it, Alan, you could be THE SOURCE for enlightenment for this software. Users with questions from ALL OVER THE WORLD could be contacting YOU, and YOU ALONE, for accurate information about how to deal with its installation and other issues.

A few years ago there was some nutcase that kept coming on and bashing Vdub, he was either a real whackjob or the developer dumped his sister or something. This thing Alan has with K-lite is almost as bad.
    Why don't any of you *****s ever actually discuss the technical issues?

All I get is personal attacks.

The question asked was why Nero ShowTime wasn't playing audio.
    Are you addressing that question?

If not, you are hijacking the thread.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Personal attacks....Oh my. He's resorting to that old tactic now.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Q: All the DVD discs I play on my PC play fine, both video and audio. But Nero only plays the video, not the audio

A: Explain in more detail ?

Is nero playing dvd without audio ?

If so you should use mediainfo or gspot to determine video and audio streams within the file being played

On a few past forum posts it's normal not to have an ac3 decoder installed > ac3filter

====

Most users don't have the experience of backing up the systems original codec preferences prior to installing codecs not native to the system ... filmerit helps
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    While I'm in total agreement with the codec-packs-are-evil crowd, I'm also in total agreement with AlanHK that that crowd has no place in this thread, which had nothing to do with K-Lite issues. "Lose the pack" is perfectly good advice if the pack is the problem, but in this case, it has nothing to do with anything. You don't help your cause this way.

I would also suggest, based on the fervor with which AlanHK and lordsmurf chase each other around, that they get a room and get it over with.

Best,

Calidore
    Quote Quote  
  21. Whew! What an interesting group of responses to my request for support regarding Nero 7's ShowTime on Vista OS. Despite some of the hard language, I believe ya'll mean well. Being passionate about your belief I think is admirable: it beats being phlegmatic.

Whenever I post a question at a forum, I find it impossible to anticipate what part of my question might be misunderstood. When I update K-Lite on my system, I select only those codecs that I use, like huffyuv, etc. Unlike other "packs" I have tried, like Windows Essentials," K-Lite is actually a nice piece of engineering: it never installs anything that will cause a conflict. I do a lot of video editing with apps like Virtualdub, demuxers, etc., and K-Lite has allowed me to correct many poorly encoded movies. Why hunt for the individual codecs you need when they are offered in one download with a handy menu?

Nero Showtime plays any of my DVD movies but without audio. Since I prefer MPC and only use ShowTime's escellent fast fwd/reverse feature to see if the DAR is correct, no pixilization, etc., I don't know when the audio ceased to work.

If Nero 7 Showtime has an option to manually assign codecs, it's definitely not in the Preferences. I have Vista configured to automatically associate IFO and BUP files with MPC. I respectfully disagree with our friend who asserts that as long as the codec is installed, any media player will use that codec; since I recall WMP failing to play a multimedia file until I reinstalled the codec and checked the box in K-Lite to associate that codec with WMP. Forgive me, but this description is the best I can do.

I'm going to reinstall Nero ShowTime. If that fails, I guess I'll just have to do without its superior framerate controller. If anyone can enlighten me if SPDIF properties might need attention, or some other configuration is problematic, I'll be very grateful.
    Quote Quote  
  22. There is not enough information given to actually determine if K-Lite is part of the problem, or not. We have not been told if Nero worked before installing K-Lite, or what type of sound card is being used, or what type of audio connection is in use. My suspicion would be a problem related to SPDIF usage, but more info would be needed.

The number and variety of problems reported with K-Lite certainly covers this type of issue. The viruses, spyware, and corrupted files often installed with it certainly cover this type of issue. No absolute proof that K-Lite is the problem, but just as certainly reasonable odds that it is.

Proper diagnostic procedure is to remove the obvious possible causes first.

To give a slightly more technically useful answer than "it's a setting in Nero", I would advise the OP to check the surround sound, SPDIF, and output settings and describe the sound card and it's connection to the speaker set or amp.

If you're gonna stomp your feet like a 12-year old, then provide something useful yourself besides just ranting and trying to convince many who know better that crap is not really crap.

Assuming the OP was able to play DVD before the K-Lite install, then he did not need anything it contains, anyway. That the OP somehow, someway was told that it was needed is part of the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Ah, we cross-posted. You are apparently using a SPDIF connection, then? To an amp, or a set of speakers?

I don't use Nero, but most progs have a setting for SPDIF "pass-thru". or you may need to use AC3Filter. If you are in fact using a SPDIF and Nero is set to output Stereo, there will be no sound.

Did the audio in Nero Ever work, at any time?

Now, to say that K-Lite never installs anything that causes a conflict is just flat untrue. You personally may have had that experience, but large numbers of other users have experienced just the opposite.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, Djard, I need to apologize for my totally inapplicable advice earlier. Somehow after reading jagabo's post, I misremembered your problem as an inability to launch audio files with ShowTime, when you pretty clearly said it wasn't playing the audio part of video files.

So, never mind.

If the audio was working before but isn't now, then the best way to go is probably the uninstall/reinstall everything game.

Best,

Calidore
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If Nero 7 Showtime has an option to manually assign codecs, it's definitely not in the Preferences. I have Vista configured to automatically associate IFO and BUP files with MPC. I respectfully disagree with our friend who asserts that as long as the codec is installed, any media player will use that codec; since I recall WMP failing to play a multimedia file until I reinstalled the codec and checked the box in K-Lite to associate that codec with WMP. Forgive me, but this description is the best I can do.
    No, I said that any media player "can" use an installed codec, not "will". Codecs are installed into Windows, and then whether any particular program actually does use the codec is a matter for that program, whether this is exposed in its preferences or not. It may expect one particular codec and ignore others.

You do not associate a codec with a program. A file type (eg, *.mp3) may be assocated with a player, so that will automatically play when you click that kind of file. But that doesn't say anything about whether it can successfully play the file. However, since K-Lite installs MPC it also sets that up to choose which available codec or internal decoders it will use. These choices can be changed later using MPC's own setup. But other programs, like Nero, will not be affected.

Anyway, if it's DVD audio that's the problem that's very likely AC3.
    To see what codec, if any, is handling AC3, use GraphStudio (K-lite may have installed it under "Tools", or get it separately).
    Do "File/Render media file" and choose an AC3 file. It should show you what codecs Windows uses to play it.
    I have ffdshow.

You can also select a VOB file and see the demultiplexer and video codec used.

ffdshow audio has a lot of options, including a mixer. If you're using that (probably, as its the default in K-Lite) that has to be set up to match your system (especially the number of channels).

Since I don't use Nero, I can't say if it has a problem with ffdfshow, but maybe it does and you can use K-Lite's Tweak tool to activate another AC3 decoder, like AC3filter.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Note that windows has two Video systems, VFW and Directshow, and two audio systems ACM and DirectShow. Codecs for one system don't work with programs that use the other. If you are using 64 bit Windows this is further complicated by the fact that there are separate systems for 32 bit programs and 64 bit programs. 32 bit codecs are only available 32 bit programs, 64 bit codecs are only available to 64 bit programs. So 64 bit Windows has four separate video systems and four separate audio systems. On top of that, many players come with their own private (not available to other programs) codecs. Some will use only their private codecs (VLC), some will optionally use system installed codecs (MPCHC). Oh, and if you use XP Mode in Windows 7 you have two more video and audio systems only available to programs running in XP mode!
    Last edited by jagabo; 2nd Sep 2010 at 21:37.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Where is Gurm when ya need him......

LOL!!!

Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    brilliantly said.
    The scary thing is, i was so drunk when i wrote that, (had a pint minimum of straight whiskey in me) and i can see my mistakes, but the scary thing is even with all the F'up's i still wrote better drunk than most people do sober!!!
    LOL!!!

Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I wanna be Curly, I wanna be Curly!!!!!
    Why is it even though curly was and is my favorite stooge,

I always liked how Mel Gibson said "Moe" in one of the Lethal Weapon movies, so I'll take Moe, please!
    Noah gets to be Larry.
    F that!!!

I am so Moe!!!!!!!
    LOL!!!!
    Ya knuckle heads!!!!!!
    BOINK!!!!!!

LOL!!!!

I would say AlanHK is Shemp but Shemp is too funny so Curly Joe goes to AlanHK....
    LOL!!!

Regardless of what stooge you love, Moe Howard, Curly Howard and Larry Fine will alway's be the stooges!!!
    OT!!!
    LOL!!!

Name:  300px-Stoogelogo.png
Views: 1204
Size:  48.3 KB
    Last edited by Noahtuck; 3rd Sep 2010 at 23:38.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Nelson37, I didn't realize I was "stomping my feet like a 12-year old...and just ranting...". I'm curious as to what part of my posting constitutes such a conniption.

On my HP DV5-1015NR notebook with x64 Vista OS, Device Mgr gives me nothing more than "High Definition Audio Device," and "IDT High Definition Audio CODEC," both "...working properly." I have AC3Filter installed and working, evidenced I suppose by the fact that I can independently play files with the .ac3 extension.

AlanHK, In the "File Associations" window of the K-Lite installation, one is prompted to "Select the player(s) for which you would like to create file associations." I notice that any installed video player not checked in the list will not use the codecs selected earlier in the installation. Perhaps this matter is peculiar to K-Lite. Nero ShowTime does not appear in the list.

I abandoned SPDIF. Using the Codec Tweak Tool, I selected "2.1 (stereo + subwoofer), since I sometimes use an external amp. In the AC3Filter GUI, I also selected 2/1 surround. No go. I then selected plain stereo. Still no go. After reinstalling K-Lite and then reinstalling ShowTime--which used to work fine--and still can't get Showtime to include audio, I'm ready to throw in the towel. WMP, MPC and KMPlayer work fine. Unless someone can help me, I'll just have to uninstall ShowTime and be satisfied with the freeware.
    Quote Quote  
  29. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    It seems you haveN'T taken the time to see what Graphstudio says about Nero ShowTime.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AlanHK, In the "File Associations" window of the K-Lite installation, one is prompted to "Select the player(s) for which you would like to create file associations." I notice that any installed video player not checked in the list will not use the codecs selected earlier in the installation. Perhaps this matter is peculiar to K-Lite. Nero ShowTime does not appear in the list.
    I've tried to explain that a file type and related association(s) is not a codec.

eg, mp3 is a filetype, and you need an MP3 codec to play it.

Maybe you have associated .mp3 files with WinAmp. Or maybe you edit MP3 files a lot and so associate it with MP3DirectCut.
    Regardless, just about any media player you have will be able to open it if you select it from the application's file menu. The "association" only determines the program that Explorer starts when you click on that kind of file. It doesn't mean the program will necessarily work, and others prevented from working.

Any codec that is installed is available to any Windows program. That's the whole point, they are part of the system, not limited to specific named software. But some players, like notably VLC, have mostly internal codecs that other programs can't use, and they won't use system ones. In that case, it doesn't matter what other codecs you install, via K-Lite or otherwise, that program will still use only its own codecs.

Windows Media Player will use (only?) system codecs. MPC has a lot of internal codecs which it can use, if configured to, as well as system codecs.
    I'd guess that either Nero has screwed up its own codecs, which a re-install should fix, or it is looking for a Windows codec that has been deactivated and doesn't have the flexibility to use another.
    Quote Quote