VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. It was not the OP I was referring to as acting like a 12-year-old.

Now, you mention playing files with an AC3 extension, which works in other players but not in nero.

How about other file types which do not have an ac3 extension but contain ac-3 files, such as a VOB from a DVD? Believe it or Not, this is a completely different kettle of fish.

Did the SPDIF output work correctly for the other programs?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Djard View Post
    K-Lite Mega Codec Pack, v6.3.5
    Mega? Ooh. Beating a dead horse here, but I can't conceive that this is ever a good idea. In defense of AlanHK, the average computer user can perhaps get away with using the minimalist *basic* pack. It's hard to explain its popularity otherwise. However, who here is an "average" user?

If you read the BDRB bug report thread, there are numerous posts in which the reported problem comes down to a codec pack. Therefore, not bug reports at all, which is highly annoying to jdobbs, and no wonder. It's true that BDRB is rather easy to break, but I offer that as an example of what a codec pack can do.

The OP should get rid of it and start over. As Nelson37 has stated, odds are K-Lite is the problem. At any rate, it's unnecessary.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    Originally Posted by Djard View Post
    K-Lite Mega Codec Pack, v6.3.5
    Mega? Ooh. Beating a dead horse here, but I can't conceive that this is ever a good idea.
    It is if you need a particular codec in that version.
    See http://www.codecguide.com/klcp_contents_comparison.htm

Yeah, if you select and activated everything, you'll screw up your system.
    I don't know if it will even allow you to do that, in any case it certainly is not the default.

Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    If you read the BDRB bug report thread, there are numerous posts in which the reported problem comes down to a codec pack. Therefore, not bug reports at all, which is highly annoying to jdobbs, and no wonder. It's true that BDRB is rather easy to break, but I offer that as an example of what a codec pack can do.

The OP should get rid of it and start over. As Nelson37 has stated, odds are K-Lite is the problem. At any rate, it's unnecessary.
    What the hell are they doing, using the comments of that tool as a forum? Who can make sense of that?

Anyway, codec packs seem a simple solution, so people who don't know which codec they need go for it. And some seem to install two or more different codec packs, which of course is nuts. So people with codec problems often have installed a codec pack. But correlation does not imply causation.
    All K-Lite does is save you time. It does some hand holding, solves some conflicts, but you still have to pay attention to what you select, same as if you installed codecs separately.

Blame Microsoft. They should have made a system that allowed codecs to be easily certified and use a common installer. They prefer to try to make everyone use their own player and codecs, leaving other developers to work out their own hacks, with sometimes very nasty side effects.

As for Nelson37, he's just talking trash. Sneering at me and talking about "viruses, spyware, and corrupted files". Whatever, if he specified which viruses and which files are corrupted and he might have a point. Not some flame from a forum post in 2004 copied and pasted 20 times.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Looks like Nero 7 still needs a plug-in or two to handle some pretty common media formats, here's a list of the plug-ins available for Nero 7 from the nero site. I'm fairly certain that the OP needs to install/re-install the relevant plug-in to get Showtime playing his media correctly. I seem to remember that when I bought my first DVD recorder, which recorded audio as AC3 2.0, I had to purchase a plug-in from Ahead to get Nero 6 to work properly with the resulting disks. Each time I re-installed Nero I had to re-install that plug-in as well.

AlanHK, even you seem to be agreeing that in the hands of the novice, codec packs are dangerous things. If you don't know what you're doing then you probably shouldn't be playing with codec packs, and if you do know what you're doing then why would you bother using a codec pack? Just go to the relevant site and download the latest, clean version from the author. Why on Earth would you take the risk of messing up your system with who-knows-what originally downloaded from who-knows-where by who-knows-who? Surely even you would agree that someone who still seems to be confused about the difference between using a codec in a media player and file associations shouldn't be within a million miles of any codec pack.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I do not bother to record precisely which files are corrupted or infected from a pile of crap I downloaded just to test on a system which was to be formatted anyway. It takes a fairly extreme form of boob to suggest that such information be maintained.

There were both infections AND corrupted files in the K-lite pack I tested. To the best of my knowledge, Alan was nowhere nearby when these tests were made. Multiple others have reported similar issues.

As for the rest of his babble, Alan is almost certainly the ONLY person I have ever seen defend codec packs in general, and K-kite in particular. That tells me, and everybody else, all they need to know.

If you are careful, AND lucky, you can probably avoid serious system problems with a codec pack. You are still better off going straight to the source and obtaining only those you need.

Now, for the OP, if you are using an amp and want 5.1 then the SPDIF is just about the only way to go. Otherwise, you only get simulated surround.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TimA-C View Post
    AlanHK, even you seem to be agreeing that in the hands of the novice, codec packs are dangerous things. If you don't know what you're doing then you probably shouldn't be playing with codec packs, and if you do know what you're doing then why would you bother using a codec pack? Just go to the relevant site and download the latest, clean version from the author.
    Yes, I said codec packs aren't idiot proof.
    However, neither are individual codec installers.
    A good pack, like K-Lite or CCCP simply integrates the installers of each codec, and tries to resolve or prevent conflicts.
    If you have any reason to doubt the codecs in K-Lite are "clean", please report it.

Why on Earth would you take the risk of messing up your system with who-knows-what originally downloaded from who-knows-where by who-knows-who?
    Risk? Of what?
    I keep asking for specific issues, I just get vague fearmongering. I don't know who or where ffdshow is made by, either.
    Maybe everyone should go to Sourceforge, download and audit all the code, and compile it themselves just to be sure.

There are such things as virus checkers. There is enough hatred of K-Lite (see this thread) that any spyware or viruses would be found and reported immediately. Same for the "warez" and "who-knows-what..." stuff.

Surely even you would agree that someone who still seems to be confused about the difference between using a codec in a media player and file associations shouldn't be within a million miles of any codec pack.
    Possibly, but they would be at least as confused by trying to install individual codecs, with the added burden of working out which ones they needed, finding and then installing them while keeping them all working. That after all is the whole reason codec packs are popular, because they simplify the process, and give you ways to manage all your codecs at once. I had a serious codec problem a while ago, caused by video converter that someone installed and deleted (not uninstalled), leaving my codecs in a disarray. After a few days uninstalling and reinstalling all my individual codecs it was still screwed up in mysterious ways, so I was about to reinstall Windows to get rid of the crap, and thought I had nothing to lose by trying a codec pack, which I had avoided for years due to the popular wisdom here that only a fool does that. But I gave it a try, K-Lite's installer detected and uninstalled the duplicate and rogue codecs and gave me a clean working system.

I know this will be seen as an example of either my idiocy and/or dumb luck, but that was good enough for me to look at the subject and find that there was actually never any details of the problems K-Lite is supposed to cause. Just "This guy had f-ed up codecs and he had K-Lite, so K-Lite must have caused it".
    Any real issues were many years, a hundred revisions ago. As I said at the top, it's not idiot proof. No application that goes into the guts of Windows is. But it has more safeguards than any other way I know to do the job.

And I really don't like preaching this stuff, I don't get paid for it and I'm sick of having mud slung at me. I'll try to back off from this, but I do get tired of these bozos:
    Originally Posted by Nelson37 View Post
    I do not bother to record precisely ....
    ... who treat with contempt the idea of backing up their opinions with any facts, and just denigrate anyone who disagrees.
    I really don't think any of them has actually installed and used K-Lite, not in the last decade anyway, yet they are so sure they know all about it, while people who do use it and had no problems are dismissed as morons.
    I'm going on my own personal experiences, not second-, third-, tenth-hand gossip.
    Last edited by AlanHK; 5th Sep 2010 at 21:25.
    Quote Quote  
  7. After a brief cost-benefit anaysis, I decided to resolve the problem by abandoning Nero Showtime on my notebook.

I uninstalled K-Lite, using a fabulous tool that safely lets you purge every related registry key (in less than a minute) then installed the AC3 filter. Nero Showtime must have become constipated because it still fails to play audio when playing a movie. MPC and KMPlayer play AC3 files just fine on all my systems. Reinstalling Nero ShowTime "successfully" made no difference. It won't even play video with MP3 audio. I suspect the problem is a compatibility issue with Vista, since even Sndvol32.exe fails.

I have used K-Lite for years, and none of the updated versions caused me any problems. I always select only the codecs I use (no--I don't check every codec). And I have K-Lite installed on two other systems, where Nero ShowTime works fine. Blimey!

Video editors--methinks--are the sharpest of geeks; since manipulating AV streams is so complex: it must be because about 90% of DVDRips are buggered to some degree, especially the disrespect for K-frames.

We all know that files are associated with apps, not apps to codecs; but K-lite uses the nomenclature, and in a very real sense the terminoligy is correct in this instance. All one needs to do is install K-Lite, select only one codec; and then, when prompted to "associate" the codec with recognized players during installation, exclude, say, WMP. The result? WMP will NOT play video that requires that codec, given that the codec is not one already standard in WMP of course.

By the way, if anyone wants a copy of the excellent registry editor I use just e-mail me and I'll be happy to share it. If I'm allowed to post the URL to my downloads page here, it would be more convenient for me.

Thanks to all for the lively discussion. After I update to Win7 and Nero 10, hopefully the problem I have...er, had, will be resolved. If not, I can live with MPC.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Djard View Post
    After I update to Win7 and Nero 10, hopefully the problem I have...er, had, will be resolved.
    Your problems will likely be much worse.
    Quote Quote