VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but I've tried looking through everything on the website, homepage.mac.com/major4/, but it isn't clear to me whether ffmpegX includes ffmpeg, or only provides a GUI on top of an existing installation of ffmpeg.

The reason I ask, is that I already installed the MacPorts ffmpeg, and I'm concerned that installing ffmpegX might inadvertently overwrite files or otherwise cause problems. Does anyone know of an Aqua or X GUI for ffmpeg?

I'm running 10.4.11 on a 1GHz TiG4.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good question.
    1/ ffmpegX does include ffmpeg.
    2/ The ffmpeg version from ffmpegX does NOT interfere with other existing installations of ffmpeg; it isn't even aware of other copies of ffmpeg. The ffmpeg binary is located inside the ffmpegX application package, and is always called on using a path to that binary. It always uses its own binary.
    3/ ffmpegX only puts extra files in
    /Library/Application Support/ffmpegX/
    ~.spumux/ (subtitle fonts)
    ~Library/Preferences/ (the prefs file com.mac.homepage.major4.ffmpegX.plist)

I believe all your other software is save from accidental overwriting or other interference.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for your reply.

Yes, that makes sense, but I wanted to be sure.

Do you happen know if there is a forum for ffmpeg (as opposed to ffmpegX)??
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    One place to look: http://www.ffmpeg.org/ Their FAQ has a lot of info also.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok. slightly different Q.

if I want to use the newer ffmpeg from macports, can I safely copy it into the path ffmpegX uses, or symlink over to it?

-G
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by geeohgeegeeoh View Post
    if I want to use the newer ffmpeg from macports, can I safely copy it into the path ffmpegX uses, or symlink over to it?
    There are significant changes to ffmpeg in newer versions, that are likely to break compatibility with the ffmpegX 0.0.9y GUI, including changes in how it handles units (bits vs. kilobits). So I would advise to not do so.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I personally use the command-line ffmpeg provided by Remux as it is regularly updated.

I tried to replace the one use by ffmpegX by that one, but it didn't work. Like Case said, the 2 are too different.

To use ffmpeg from Remux, I simply did:

ln -s "/Applications/remux.app/Contents/Resources/ffmpeg" /usr/local/bin/ffmpeg-x

I can then run ffmpeg from the command line simply by typing: ffmpeg-x options

I called it ffmpeg-x to avoid possible conflicts with other ffmpeg used in various video tools.
    Quote Quote