VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, all
    Anybody can share which DVD will work instead of original DDW-813S (by LiteON), which is I believe is 16x speed. I shopped around and could not find any slower then 22X, and tried LiteON IHAP222-06BK %, which doesn't work, no play (dark screen) no record (non comparible disk).
    I also installed most recent firmware then and tried again with same bad results.
    No need to tell that LiteON support is died, could not reach them, no email returned, they have some fancy option for 1-800 support for $1.49/min.

Can anybody help/share which drive I can try on ?

Will appreciate you advice!

Thanks
    V
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's a list of drives that work at http://club.myce.com/f89/replacement-drives-liteon-5xxx-recorders-207698/, but unfortunately these are discontinued models and difficult to find. You might try eBay where some appear from time to time. Note I read another thread where the Benq DW-1620 wouldn't fit into the 5045 because it was too long, and you need to find one of the LiteOns or Sonys which are shorter than others to be sure it'll fit.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tx, Bevills

Yes I'm trying to find some on ebay, and swapping any I can put my hand on to try it, I have ide - sata adapter so trying all.

Tx
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Any Liteon IDE drive will work (more or less). The Fast Forward is hit or miss, but I have used 1633S, the 2000 series drives - If you cannot find an IDE it will tougher since you must get an IDE to SATA concverter and a SATA drive. I did this once and it did work but I had block playback. Did not retest or figure it out. Never had the time to play with it. I have a working drive in my 5045 and my A760 units. When I get time I will retest SATA technology....Look for any Liteon or Sony EIDE/IDE drive type....

from my notes extracted somewhere on the net:

Orig DVDs :
    LMU-713H = MT1888E (a760gx)
    DW-813S = MT1828E (5045)
    I used:
    DH-20A4P-DO in a760gx
    SHM-165H6S in 5045
    Other drive using these chipsets:
    - Mediatek (MT1828E) - LiteOn SOHW-1633S/1673S/1693S, Samsung TS-H552U,
    - Mediatek (MT1888E) - Samsung SH-W162,
    LiteOn SHM-165P6S

DVD drives that work as replacements in LiteOn and iLO.
    http://www.techolio.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3044&sid=31ed44768f3d7381869ee b6a4078e9b2
    There have been a lot of questions lately about what DVD drives will work as drive replacements in the LiteOn and iLO DVD recorders, so I thought I would make this Sticky thread to answer that question.

The best drives are the older LiteOn models whose designations start with 4, 8, 12 or 16. For example: LDW-411S, LDW-451S, LDW-811S, LDW-851S, SOHW-1213S, SOHW-1633S, SOHW-1693S. These drives have proven to be 100% compatible (all drive functions work properly) as replacements.

I, personally, found that a BenQ 1620 DVD drive worked 100% in both my LiteOn 5001 and my LiteOn 5045 recorders.

All the above drives are discontinued models so you might have to look hard to find one, or even have to buy a used drive from a site like Ebay.

The newer drives from LiteOn, the 160 and 165 series, seem to work as recorders, but when used to play a DVD the machine will freeze up when the Fast-Forward button is pushed. The recorder must be unplugged before it can be used again. No damage is done to either machine or DVD, but this is a pain.

It has been reported that a Sony DRU-830A DVD drive has worked as a replacement drive in a LiteOn 5045 DVD recorder. Neither myself, nor any other user I personally know has verified this.

Something else of note, if the replacement DVD drive is an OEM model (sometimes called "bare bones") and not purchased in a retail box, the drive will HAVE to be placed in your PC and have a commercial DVD played in it one time using a software DVD player (such as PowerDVD); otherwise the drives Region Code will not be set and it will not play commercial DVD's when put in the LiteOn or iLO recorder. The various software programs to be found on the internet that are *supposed* to set the Region Code don't seem to work.

Changing a recorders firmware after replacing the DVD drive will still work, the only thing is you may get an error message telling you that the update failed. Don't worry, the only part of the firmware update that failed was the part that was to update the DVD drives firmware, the system part of the update will work fine.

In order to update the replacement drives firmware, the drive must be installed in a PC and then update the drive as if it was being used in the PC. It's kind of a pain, but it doesn't have to be done often (if at all).

LiteOn 5001 1143 FW
    LiteOn 5045 197B FW
    Unabashedly blatant plug for another great tech forum!
    Come on over! http://www.normsforum.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Any drive like this should work:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106281
    You will have to either remove the bezel on the tray or use an xacto knife to reshape it
    to fit the drive tray. I used a knife to refit mine. It takes a little time but it looks
    much nicer.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, guys, rushing to ebay and newegg, will try from newegg first. Ebay only from UK available for now.

Thanks again for huge help.

Vamos
    V
    Last edited by dainova; 30th Aug 2010 at 22:13.
    Quote Quote  
  7. dainova
    Why would you replace a DDW drive with another DDW. Unless you found a New , never used one, it’s a waste of time.
    I still have about 25 0r 30 of these DDW drives and while some work ok . I feel they are unreliable And should throw them away.
    A number of claims have been made BUT when questioned, there is always an excuse or buts etc, etc, etc.
    I still have 12 NEW liteon drives 1633, 1673, 1693 None are For Sale
    Go to tthis site
    http://codeguys.rpc1.org,
    Select liteon firmware and than look at at desktop drives The units to the 1635 WILL work on all functions ]MOTE that a number of Sony drives wre clones of liteon drives Some other drive wre reported to work .
    The quote about the BenQ drive was taken From another site
    Check this site. Also for compatibility.
    http://www.normediasolutions.com/portfolio/
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by bithead9 View Post
    Any drive like this should work:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106281
    You will have to either remove the bezel on the tray or use an xacto knife to reshape it
    to fit the drive tray. I used a knife to refit mine. It takes a little time but it looks
    much nicer.
    When I ordered from your link, I received a LiteOn iHAP-122. Not sure if that's an older model (mfg in July 2010) than the iHAP-222 mentioned in the OP, but the result was the same. It plays fine attached to my laptop, after setting the jumper properly.

So while the 5045 recognizes it as a DVD drive with a DVD inside, it won't play a commercial or recorded disc, and it won't record or even pull up the "Top Menu".

Is there any reason to think updating the machine's firmware will help? If so, I may be able to cobble the old drive together long enough for it to read - but I thought I had updated the firmware 2 or 3 years ago.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I've replaced several drives on several Liteon 5006b DVD recorders, mainly with Liteon drives but I did get a Samsung DVD drive working well in one of the recorders, and yes, FF and REW worked fine. Unfortunately I can't remember which drive it was but it's probably been discontinued for some time anyway.

Don't forget to plug whichever drive you end up using into a PC first to set the region and make any changes to recording/playback speeds in the drive's firmware before fitting it into the recorder. Keep us posted as to which drive you use and how it goes.
    Quote Quote  
  10. LiteOff
    Is there any reason to think updating the machine's firmware will help? If so, I may be able to cobble the old drive together long enough for it to read - but I thought I had updated the firmware 2 or 3 years ago.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

NO
    Firmware from the Orig To the latest works Ok on 4x to 16x disks and I see no reason it would not on others .
    The spead of a burner Makes NO difference in the operation of the unit.
    \Claime have been made , such as [ Any liteon drive will work ((( More or Less ))) ] . While I have No experience with the drive you used You seem to have found the Less
    I don’t know what you use the 5045 for but it is one of a kind and no longer made /
    Liteon will have nothing to do with your 5045.

A liteon clone The ilo [04 ]series Had a green tint issue an was corrected with firmware 1195.
    Some older drives will work ok on ALL functions some are limited as t liteon 160p with fast forward only .
    Some mfg.,. Sony had there disk drives made by liteon and some Sony drives will work
    At present there is a Sony drive ON eBay that is reported to be ok in a 5045. I have had no experience with it But by checking the code guys list it would seem to be
    Liteonis a ilo 04 series --ilo inf is reivent
    I have 3 5045 and 3 ilo RHD04
    Check these sites
    http://codeguys.rpc1.org,
    http://www.ss3f.com/ilo
    http://www.normediasolutions.com/portfolio/
    Quote Quote  
  11. To correct
    I have a vision problem and sometimes hit a wrong key or leave something out. I meant to say that the 160p works fine except it will not fast forward.
    In another post, When the replaced drive would not play a commercial disk, this could hav been a region set issue that would have to be set on a PC.
    But the post said it woul not d play a burned or disk bring up the menu, witch h is most likely a drive issue
    The report on a Samsung drive working fits with some others that had luck with older Samsung units’
    As I said many manufactures had liteon made drives in there units but this would see m with older nunits.
    In my opinion liteon has made an attempt to make all there current drives non compatible with the liteon 5045 , 5005 , etc - or its clons.
    I have replaced over 40 DVD drives in the liteon/ilo units all with liteon drives 832 - 1633s - 1673 s - 1693s and some i635.
    These were not machines purchased and for sale , but friends.
    I still have 4 each 1633s, 1673s, 1693s new in the box and are not for sale
    A proper DVD drive can be a problem , not the HDD
    I have not seen new but used drives come up at times and try to pass along the info .
    Good used drives can be fine. Why the orig DDW drives Failed. I tried to repair some but gave up as they were unreliable But why ? The PC drives used a replacements were quite the same as them. I still have about 30 DDW drives and should throw them away. They are unreliable

bithead9 reported in another thread post that he had software or a way to make any drive work on all functions in the liteon’s.

PS Edit
    THE 160p will not FF a commercial disk but will a Burned disk
    Last edited by LCSHG; 2nd Oct 2010 at 19:15.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've had success using the newer (20x) Optiarc (Sony) drives as well. Specifically the ones that are LiteOn clones and FF worked just fine.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    LCSHG, FYI there was a post on CDFreaks site where a user cross flashed a 160P to 165P to Sony DW-G120A which works on FF, and I have cross flashed a 165P I bought to Sony DW-G120A which does FF. The 20A3P aka NEC 7190 and earlier LiteOns may also be cross flashed to the corresponding Sony rebadge to gain FF.
    Quote Quote  
  14. bevills1
    Thanks for the FYI info. I do know of the cross flash issue but have not had to use it . As I poster before I have a number of New in the box liteon PC drives . Why did the original DDW drives fail?. They were much the same as the PC units. I also have a ilo R04 with a 160p ]replaced about 3 years ago that works fine except FF, Both the DDW and 160p have a belt drive the I had tried to correct the problems but gave up . FF is not necessary for my use. CD Freaks is a good site but those given have been of great help

The info by ybara
    To the 20x Sony drives that are clones of the liteon n drives is noted I have not known anyone having success on all functions with liteon drives past the 1635 series
    AS I stated many other drives were made by liteom and were clones while the liteon unit would not work on all functions, the clones would.

EDIT
    The use of a SATA HDD was and Is Not a Problem. While I have not tried it I doub't a SATS DVD drive would be recognized by the system
    Last edited by LCSHG; 20th Nov 2010 at 19:17.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    been a while since i was here but i thought i would follow up to posts i made years ago to a simpler fix
    for the bad drives that have worked for me.
    it requires removal of the laser assembly from a liteon/sony computer drive. one that is similar to the stock laser and transplanting to the original drive.
    this requires mechanical skill in releasing the ribbon cables (3 i believe) holding the sled w/laser assy.
    the result is a refurbed oem assy instead oif cutting, fitting and losing vcd recordig ff/rew etc.
    if you are really good and the donor drive is a beltless unit those gears etc can also be transplanted eliminating
    future belt probs.
    my 2 lvw-5104 and a lvw-5006 have worked flawlessly since the surgery.
    my hd-a760 is next when my arthritis permits.(i'm a 70 y/o retired tech)
    barry
    Quote Quote  
  16. Interesting! I'd never considered transplanting the laser assembly from one drive to another, I've only ever cleaned and re-lubricated existing drives or replaced them in my two 5006s and various ones owned by friends and relatives.

Sadly my 5006s have become virtually obsolete now, but for a couple of years they were were my favourite, and probably most used gadgets in the house. I'll certainly bear your advice and experience in mind if I'm ever looking to replace a failing optical drive and can't find a direct replacement.

Keep up the good work, Barry, and I hope your arthritis doesn't give you too much gyp!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you go the route of swapping the laser assy. be sure it is an EXACT match, ribbon cable, etc. Otherwise you can fry the new laser assy. - I did that once.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BTW- regarding the iHAP-222 and other liteon drives (or sony) - a very common problem is the FF not working. That has been posted on MANY sites. I got used to not using my liteon for FF and only to record and play back in another DVD player. It saves the drive a little wear and tear too! I recommend a replacement that records OK and then play back in another DVD unit.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    even w/my computer and sony dvd jukebox i need the donor drives. they are older models i purchased on ebay for cheap.
    the lasers are identical, cables and all to the oem drives in my machines.
    i have even purchased defunct liteon recorders for spare parts now that they are no longer available.
    barry
    Quote Quote