VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Alright, after all that practice on my tapes, I will work on digitalising my parents' wedding video starting this Monday. Kinda sounds like a final test eh?

The wedding video is recorded into two tapes in 1986. Both of them are a little moldy, with one of them having unusual black mold on it.

Any thing to look out for/do so that I can get the best quality out of it? (Other than cleaning the VCR after each tape)

PS: My parents do not want me to spend any money to get TBCs and SVHS decks etc, so getting new equipment is out.

PPS: This is sounding like a shonen (young men's) manga (Japanese comics) plot...

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Well, it comes to mind that perhaps mentioning the model of your VCR and what you are using as a capture device or capture card would be good as some here may have specific advice for specific models. Note that weekends are kind of a down time for a lot of our members, so you may need to bump your post on Monday if nobody has replied other than me.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    darkarn, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,
    Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mold? Pay somebody to transfer it.
    All you will end up doing is ruining the tape - AND - ruining the VCR in the process.

Even I won't work with molded tapes. Too much hassle, equipment too valuable.

Not having a good VCR or TBC will give you a not-good DVD.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Well, it comes to mind that perhaps mentioning the model of your VCR and what you are using as a capture device or capture card would be good as some here may have specific advice for specific models. Note that weekends are kind of a down time for a lot of our members, so you may need to bump your post on Monday if nobody has replied other than me.
    Oh yes, forgot about that...

Capture card: Hauppauge PVR 150
    VCR: Toshiba V-E31A
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    darkarn, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,
    Moderator redwudz
    Sorry, was feeling a little dramatic yesterday...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Mold? Pay somebody to transfer it.
    All you will end up doing is ruining the tape - AND - ruining the VCR in the process.

Even I won't work with molded tapes. Too much hassle, equipment too valuable.

Not having a good VCR or TBC will give you a not-good DVD.
    Yep, had to go with that; the tapes look in a pretty bad way compared to what I have worked with so far...

What a pity that my "skills" and equiptment can't do anything to save them eh...
    Quote Quote