VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread

1. There is some deafult setting i allow during the installation this codec pack that makes IMG-burn and alot of other free burners to record a music cd with extremely bad sound quality, as soon as i uninstall K-lite everything turns back to normal and i can reburn my project with normal sound quality again

i have checked with "codec sniper" and there are no codes or filters broken according to it, so i either can get some advices what i shall uncheck for this codec pack, or im gonna have to stop using it

Iv heard suggestions that IMG burners must use a "direct show filter" for its audio burn project, that depends on what codes you have installed globally for the computer, IMG burner use "cue" files to burn audio cd's..whatever a cue file are supposed to do different? but its a fact anyhow

some suggestions please
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    best would be not to install any codec pack at all. just install the individual codecs you need. as for audio codecs it would be whatever you are converting from and a real cd is a type of wav file.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Blå_Mocka View Post
    as soon as i uninstall K-lite everything turns back to normal
    There is your answer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Iv heard suggestions that IMG burners must use a "direct show filter" for its audio burn project, that depends on what codes you have installed globally for the computer, IMG burner use "cue" files to burn audio cd's..whatever a cue file are supposed to do different? but its a fact anyhow
    The ImgBurn forum would be a better place to ask. This forum has a lot of superstition about K-Lite and you won't get any advice from these guys (who've never used it) except "Delete it! Now!! Or Else!!!"

Anyway, at http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=5555

Originally Posted by LIGHTNING UK!
    ImgBurn relies on DirectShow / ACM for decoding your audio files.

As such, you'll need to have the appropriate filters installed for the types of files you'll be burning.

Support for MP3, PCM, WAV and WMA should be built into Windows - at least it is on XP / Vista.
    Using K-Lite's "Codec Tweak Tool" select "Manage installed Direct Show Filters" and look at the MP3 decoders.
    K-Lite probably set ffdshow as the MP3 decoder, you can deactivate that and try the "Windows" ones listed further down, I have "MP3 decoder (Fraunhofer)" which may be what ImgBurn prefers.
    If not, again, ask at ImgBurn forums. I use ImgBurn frequently for DVDs, but very rarely make audio CDs these days.

I'm surprised though that any codec has a problem decoding MP3. If it is ffdshow, you should see its icon appear on the taskbar when decoding audio. Click on it and have a look at its config, maybe you simply have some mixing or other filters active that is the real issue.
    Last edited by AlanHK; 25th Aug 2010 at 08:29.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post

The ImgBurn forum would be a better place to ask. This forum has a lot of superstition about K-Lite and you won't get any advice from these guys (who've never used it) except "Delete it! Now!! Or Else!!!"

And this forum also have alot of superstition about K-Lite and you wont get any advice from this guys
    http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=15405&st=0

Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    Anyway, at http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=5555

Originally Posted by LIGHTNING UK!
    ImgBurn relies on DirectShow / ACM for decoding your audio files.

As such, you'll need to have the appropriate filters installed for the types of files you'll be burning.

Support for MP3, PCM, WAV and WMA should be built into Windows - at least it is on XP / Vista.
    Using K-Lite's "Codec Tweak Tool" select "Manage installed Direct Show Filters" and look at the MP3 decoders.
    K-Lite probably set ffdshow as the MP3 decoder, you can deactivate that and try the "Windows" ones listed further down, I have "MP3 decoder (Fraunhofer)" which may be what ImgBurn prefers.
    If not, again, ask at ImgBurn forums. I use ImgBurn frequently for DVDs, but very rarely make audio CDs these days.

I'm surprised though that any codec has a problem decoding MP3. If it is ffdshow, you should see its icon appear on the taskbar when decoding audio. Click on it and have a look at its config, maybe you simply have some mixing or other filters active that is the real issue.
    this was one interesting quote i got though in that IMGburn thread
    D 19:19:50 Filters: Source -> MPEG-I Stream Splitter -> ffdshow Audio Decoder -> MONOGRAM AMR Encoder -> MONOGRAM AMR Decoder -> ACM Wrapper -> Sample Grabber -> Null Renderer
    I wonder if that can be tracked down via the codec tweaker tool also if your way doesn't work?..im gonna perform a
    re-test burn this evening with your (Fraunhofer) setting active, stay tuned! will take the opportunity to keep an eye out for the ffdshow icon also
    I can inform that no audio filter where highlighted inside Direct Show Filters as far as i could see, now there should be one though
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    best would be not to install any codec pack at all. just install the individual codecs you need. as for audio codecs it would be whatever you are converting from and a real cd is a type of wav file.
    what actions are you suggesting when you say "it would be" i have a special situation amnesia

concerning install individual codec that is wery hard to handle if you don't have enough knowledge about setting codec without the guidance that codec pack offers, and to understand what each codec do and how thei can double cross each other across alot of different formats, i have no such and i will never get either
    Last edited by Blå_Mocka; 25th Aug 2010 at 09:44.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The ImgBurn forum would be a better place to ask.
    That's some good advice.

This forum has a lot of superstition about K-Lite and you won't get any advice from these guys (who've never used it) except "Delete it! Now!! Or Else!!!"
    Bla-Mocka: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
    Doctor: "Well, don't do it!"
    AlanHK: "Don't listen to the doctor, if you're going to do it, take four green pills and then two red pills. But first, take the blue pill. See! It's easy!! Though you continue to do damage you won't feel a thing."

Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by neomaine View Post
    That's some good advice.

This forum has a lot of superstition about K-Lite and you won't get any advice from these guys (who've never used it) except "Delete it! Now!! Or Else!!!"
    AlanHK: "Don't listen to the doctor, if you're going to do it, take four green pills and then two red pills. But first, take the blue pill. See! It's easy!! Though you continue to do damage you won't feel a thing."

Re-read post 5 in this thread..and dare to say that again
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    concerning install individual codec that is wery hard to handle if you don't have enough knowledge about setting codec without the guidance that codec pack offers, and to understand what each codec do and how thei can double cross each other across alot of different formats, i have no such and i will never get either
    The problem is that once you mention you have K-Lite, all you get is a load of abuse of it.
    It's simply a combined installer for normal codecs. like ffdshow, plus some config tools. You can have the same, or worse, codec issues if you download an install codecs separately. K-Lite tries to organise and give you control over them.

Anyway, the real problem is you're trying to make an audio CD.
    I've only used ImgBurn to make a few audio CDs, and used FLAC files withoot any problem.

But to avoid the whole codec issue, perhaps just convert your MP3s to WAVE files and use those as your source.
    There are many ways to do that in a batch, eg BeSweet, CDEx.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by neomaine View Post
    That's some good advice.

Re-read post 5 in this thread..and dare to say that again
    Actually, I can't re-read something I didn't read in the first place. The post wasn't there when I made my reply. But, now that I've read it:

Have a good one,

neomaine

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

So your argument is basically one of authority.
    These guys are "codec doctors", anointed and certified by you, and presumably I'm just a clown.

They give the same diagnosis and prescription every time, without any explanation.
    I explained how to use some tools to work out and hopefully fix the problem.

If you can't offer anything more than sneers, please just butt out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, I can't re-read something I didn't read in the first place. The post wasn't there when I made my reply. But, now that I've read it:
    Why is that you can't make any rational argument, just sneers and name-calling?
    And you lack enough wit to even think of more than one "joke", so you just repeat it.

Anyone would think I was trying to build a mosque at Ground Zero, not work out an encoding issue.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Using a codec pack is like taking every pill in the pharmacy because you're too lazy to diagnose the issue and take the one pill you actually need. While you'll very likely take the pill you need by doing this, you'll also take a bunch of stuff that will poison or kill you in the process. It has the same effect on your computer.

Using a codec pack is one of the most idiotic things you can do in the video world. Simply put, quit being lazy. If you need a certain codec, install that one codec. Of course, in the era of modern codec-less players, you rarely need to do this. Only people with import issues tend to need to install codec a here and there.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 25th Aug 2010 at 11:22.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank Discs • Best TBCs • Best VCRs for capture • Restore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Using a codec pack is one of the most idiotic .... blah blah blah
    And what a surprise, you weigh in with yet another content-free tirade.

Whenever "K-Litre" is in the subject, you turn up and regurgitate the same rant. Every time.

Using a codec pack is like taking every pill in the pharmacy
    Yes, if you are a moron, you can do that. If you are not, you take only the pills you need.

You don't have to collect herbs from the hillside and grind them up yourself.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And you lack enough wit to even think of more than one "joke", so you just repeat it.

Anyone would think I was trying to build a mosque at Ground Zero, not work out an encoding issue.
    I repeated the joke because that was the challenge. Quite frankly, I didn't see it as a big deal. The OP included a wink so I was just having some fun. Sorry you take this k-lite thing personally.

I have made rational arguments in past posts and at least one that included your usual banter. So, for yours and everyone’s benefit, here's my experienced opinion:

1 - If you don't have experience with maintaining multiple codecs you should use an all-in-one player like MPCHC, VLC and others for playback. If you need to encode, I'd recommend ffmpeg.

2 - If you do have experience with maintaining multiple codecs you don't need a 'codec pack' and incur the management necessary to do it.

And yes, I have played with codec packs in the past and with the help of (most of) the experienced members here found the KISS principle to be extremely applicable here. In short, at best its overkill, at worst, its a OS rebuild.

If YOU find them helpful and YOU can manage them and YOU know who to press all the right buttons then YOU are more than welcome to. However, I still contend recommending so-called 'codec packs' to any neophytes to the audio/video hobby borders on being irresponsible. There are too many risks for too little gain.

YOU find k-lite a convenient way to mange things, YOU are in the minority. You have the right to recommend it. We have the right to recommend not using it.

For the OP, my little joke is very appropriate. They answered they're own question: Once very reputable tool is rendered useless by an unnecessary one.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by neomaine View Post

I repeated the joke because that was the challenge. Quite frankly, I didn't see it as a big deal. The OP included a wink so I was just having some fun. Sorry you take this k-lite thing personally.

I have made rational arguments in past posts and at least one that included your usual banter. So, for yours and everyone’s benefit, here's my experienced opinion:

1 - If you don't have experience with maintaining multiple codecs you should use an all-in-one player like MPCHC, VLC and others for playback. If you need to encode, I'd recommend ffmpeg.

2 - If you do have experience with maintaining multiple codecs you don't need a 'codec pack' and incur the management necessary to do it.

And yes, I have played with codec packs in the past and with the help of (most of) the experienced members here found the KISS principle to be extremely applicable here. In short, at best its overkill, at worst, its a OS rebuild.

If YOU find them helpful and YOU can manage them and YOU know who to press all the right buttons then YOU are more than welcome to. However, I still contend recommending so-called 'codec packs' to any neophytes to the audio/video hobby borders on being irresponsible. There are too many risks for too little gain.

YOU find k-lite a convenient way to mange things, YOU are in the minority. You have the right to recommend it. We have the right to recommend not using it.

For the OP, my little joke is very appropriate. They answered they're own question: Once very reputable tool is rendered useless by an unnecessary one.
    Im gonna do a fiew stubborn re-burning(currently 56% make a note!!) attempts trying to pinpoint down what it is exactly in K-lite that conflict with music CD burning, while we wait on that i must ask you

im not going to use VLC as primary media player, cause i don't like it its a preview player for incomplete files in my book..and will always be media player classic i off course have...but it will get problem to play majority of files if you don't have the basic internet exclusive codecs (xvid mp4?) VLC might play without though

so the question will be what codec do you put into this list of "must have standalone"
    codecs that dont follow with windows default,

shall i credit FFdshow as a codec pack or standalone? it obvious contains same? audio filters that i feel i wanna have installed on computer (no i dont know for what really...other than being able to play all media files with audio)

i deal with the extensions wmv, avi, mpg, MPG(difference?) mp4, mp3, and Sony Vegas 9.0c that only preview if you have certain filters
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    The problem is that once you mention you have K-Lite, all you get is a load of abuse of it.
    It's simply a combined installer for normal codecs. like ffdshow, plus some config tools. You can have the same, or worse, codec issues if you download an install codecs separately. K-Lite tries to organise and give you control over them.

Anyway, the real problem is you're trying to make an audio CD.
    I've only used ImgBurn to make a few audio CDs, and used FLAC files withoot any problem.

But to avoid the whole codec issue, perhaps just convert your MP3s to WAVE files and use those as your source.
    There are many ways to do that in a batch, eg BeSweet, CDEx.
    I realize there are other ways to solve this, but i think i wanna be stubborn and really exclude that i cant
    sett this so it disable that filter

the problem is that the "tweak tool" have a big problem in indicate to its new master what he just manually enabled or disabled, cause the "V" have disappeared when you reopen the filter choice next time

"enable the following filters" and it will always name same filters as being currently disabled..even though i enabled one of them last time successfully, so how can we ever be sure if it really have enabled or not? when everything keeps default back to the disable list?

didn't feel any change after the re-burn with (Fraunhofer Mp3) supposable being active
    "Windows Media Audio Recorder" didnt do any difference either
    (was that the filter you refereed to in your first post? cause i cant find any other matching myself)
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	virka.JPG
Views:	852
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	3229  

Click image for larger version

Name:	kissa.JPG
Views:	646
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	3230  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, I don't take "K-Lite" personally.
    I do take personally when you were, repeatedly, insulting me by name.

If you imagine someone else was inviting you to insult me, well, of course that makes it fine.

You weren't "recommending" anything. You were attributing stupid statements to me that had no relation to anything I said.

You never addressed any technical details in your repeated posts, you just made personal insults.
    Last edited by AlanHK; 25th Aug 2010 at 13:45.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    recommending so-called 'codec packs' to any neophytes to the audio/video hobby borders on being irresponsible. There are too many risks for too little gain
    at best its overkill, at worst, its a OS rebuild
    This is worth repeating.

This topic was covered last month already: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/323465-what-codecs-do-I-need
    And two months before that: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/320568-Want-to-use-K-Lite-DON-T-DO-IT!
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 25th Aug 2010 at 14:11.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank Discs • Best TBCs • Best VCRs for capture • Restore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the problem is that the "tweak tool" have a big problem in indicate to its new master what he just manually enabled or disabled, cause the "V" have disappeared when you reopen the filter choice next time

"enable the following filters" and it will always name same filters as being currently disabled..even though i enabled one of them last time successfully, so how can we ever be sure if it really have enabled or not? when everything keeps default back to the disable list?
    Maybe you have a permissions problem.
    If you log on as an admin, you should be able to make changes stick.

Also try the "Detect broken codecs and filters" Tweak option.
    It has a sub option: "Re-register base DirectShow filters" that might help.

didn't feel any change after the re-burn with (Fraunhofer Mp3) supposable being active
    (was that the filter you refereed to in your first post? cause i cant find any other matching myself)
    If you just click on an MP3 file and play it, whatever does that (eg, MPC) should use the same codec as you've chosen.

If you use "Graph Studio" (installed by K-Lite under its Tools sub menu) and do "File/Render" and choose an MP3 file, it will show you exactly what codecs are used to play it.

Anyway; I'm still mystified how you can have degraded playback. Usually playing an audio file either works, or it fails.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    This is worth repeating.
    No it wasn't.

How many times are you going to butt in and repeat the same damn thing?

You're spamming this thread, you're not trying to help the poster, you have paid no attention to what he is actually trying to do and why, you're just saying the same thing over and over.

Start your own thread if you want to have a codec pack hate session.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post

Maybe you have a permissions problem.
    If you log on as an admin, you should be able to make changes stick.

Also try the "Detect broken codecs and filters" Tweak option.
    It has a sub option: "Re-register base DirectShow filters" that might help.

If you just click on an MP3 file and play it, whatever does that (eg, MPC) should use the same codec as you've chosen.

If you use "Graph Studio" (installed by K-Lite under its Tools sub menu) and do "File/Render" and choose an MP3 file, it will show you exactly what codecs are used to play it.

Anyway; I'm still mystified how you can have degraded playback. Usually playing an audio file either works, or it fails.
    looking at the attached file..i don't see any big sensations?, the ac3 filter i have just tested to add this last time i installed, i did it since nothing else worked, i have actually during the installation disabled anything audio related inside the K-lite installer, but still i got this sensational degrading audio on the cd

Im thinking that perhaps i shall uninstall K-lite for a while, but for another reason that the critic in this thread now celebrates ...i having MUSIC issues within Starcraft 2, that the music do not use its ticked setting "continuous music" in the reality, since this codec pack obvious can cause this wery odd
    degrading of the direct show filter, who knows what music related issues it can disturb even in a totally unrelated computer game?
    cause if this cd burning is turn out to be the only consequence it can bring once installed, then i can just as well uninstall it only when i wanna burn a audio cd (that is not so often) and then reinstall after
    cause it goes perfectly to burn "files to folder" file at the same time in Img burn, that im doing a bit more often

Why im this stubborn is cause i have used K-lite for several years, and it have allays been able to burn music cd's with correct quality, this issue is something new introduced

Name:	dsdsds.JPG
Views:	370
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	3233  

Quote Quote  
  23. I would first try what AlanHK suggested in his first post. Go into ffdshow audio configuration and disable MP3. Install or enable another MP3 decoder. See if that fixes it. I too have found that ffdshow doesn't always handle MP3 properly when I try to make an audio CD.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 25th Aug 2010 at 21:43.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    looking at the attached file..i don't see any big sensations?, the ac3 filter i have just tested to add this last time i installed, i did it since nothing else worked, i have actually during the installation disabled anything audio related inside the K-lite installer, but still i got this sensational degrading audio on the cd
    So your source files are AC3?
    I had been assuming you were using MP3. I see now that was never specified -- so the Fraunhofer decoder I mentioned is irrelevant, that's for MP3.

Windows doesn't come with an AC3 decoder (at least not the versions I've used) so you do need a third party one.

AC3 files can be multi-channel (5.1), CD is stereo. Also they are usually sampled at 48000Hz, whereas CD audio is 44100, so they have to be resampled.
    ffdshow filters can do that, but I don't know how well ImgBurn will cope with it.
    Quote Quote  
  25. I could not see any difference between AC3 or ffdshow, since i dont know what AC3 will affect things at all

now this is solved anyhow! cause instead of installing "K-lite codec pack FULL"version i just took "standard" this time,
    it highlighted AC3 as default i noticed (it didnt in FULL install)
    but i disabled it and just keep the Mp3 direct show enabled, and now i have burned a cd with optimal quality here

Now what remains is testing Starcraft 2 without K-lite installed just for safety sake, after that and there is no connection, i at least now know my new installation setup

thanks alot of the help...to some people

Name:	bara.JPG
Views:	649
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	3239  

Last edited by Blå_Mocka; 26th Aug 2010 at 06:11.
    Quote Quote