VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone,
    I have few mkv files which i want to add subtitle to it, after using mkvmerge and adding mkv file and srt file and pressing mux everyhting ia going perfect till end. but when i go to output directory to play the file i get windows explorer crash and everything gets closed. the original mkv file and other mkv don't show any problem. the problem is only the created output file.
    i'm I doing anything wronge?
    please help me in this
    thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Does it work if you play with another player with built in codecs like VLC?

You might have some codecs problems.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it is not matte of codec bcz all other mkv files can be played, for this mkvmerge output even when i go to directory and right click on output file windows explorer gets crashed and everything get closed. if it was codec problem it was when i'm trying to play the file, also other filea can be played so it is not the matter of codec.
    thanks anyhow and waiting for more reply
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    But it sounds like a decoder(maybe subtitle decoder) problem. Windows explorer tries to preview the video and it crashes. I would try reinstall haali media splitter.

You could also try an older version of mktoolnix and see if you get same problem.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks baldrick, now I tried reinstalling haali as well as older version of mkvmerge but same problem...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Baldrick by the way i see you joined exactly 10 years earlier, so must have great knowledge, so eagerly waiting for your posts.
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    . But nope, I have no more ideas....
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok any how thanks for sharing what you know
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    please someone help me in this, i'm so desperate...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi everyone, My problem was solved by reinstalling windows 7 ( it means it was windows problem)
    bu the builder of the MKVMerge suggested me before reinstalling windows 7 to check whether the problem was bcz of compression option in "extra option" tab in MKVMereg.
    so if someone by chance got same problem as i got
    first put the compression option as NONE for all the track
    if problem was not solved
    seconde reinstall windows itself
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by majid_aryaee View Post
    hi everyone, My problem was solved by reinstalling windows 7 ( it means it was windows problem)
    bu the builder of the MKVMerge suggested me before reinstalling windows 7 to check whether the problem was bcz of compression option in "extra option" tab in MKVMereg.
    so if someone by chance got same problem as i got
    first put the compression option as NONE for all the track
    if problem was not solved
    seconde reinstall windows itself
    I've recently gone to using mkv for my bluray rips instead of just keeping it in the .m2ts container using makemkv. Been running into the same problems. Win Explorer crashing. I can play the file fine in whatever player and stream it just fine to my WDTV Live. You've given me some more clues to go on though....
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure if anyone is still having this problem but after trying everything (turning off preview, thumbnails, etc) the ONLY solution that worked for me was to uninstall my Codecs, and then reinstall ... immediately after that I never had an explorer crash again ... I was having the same exact problem as others, when I just highlighted the file it would crash windows explorer, if the file was in a sub directory when clicking on the folder it would crash explorer as well ... trust me ... I took 3 days just to figure this out and unfortunately formatted my external hdd because I couldn't access it due to the crashes, I lost 530GB of movies and if I had known just to uninstall and reinstall the codecs I would've been much happier with the end result ... learn and live ... I just hope that those that need the help with this, try this solution FIRST.

Goodluck ... and feel free to email me with any questions!! I registered to this site just for this thread, because it was a such a hassle for me!!
    Quote Quote  
  13. I am having the same problem, I haven't tried uninstalling all my Codecs as I dont know where they are and I am not about to reload windows 7 but I have a suggestion in deleting the file causing the problem without losing anything else in that folder. I opened DivX Player then went to open file, open video, found the file I was looking for but instead of opening it I just right clicked and deleted it from there. I had no problems after that with window explorer crashing when I went into the folder it had been in.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    I had this problem for quite a while and wasn't even able to access the directory which the output file was in without Windows Explorer crashing. I believe it was caused by a failed muxed which resulted in a corrupted output file. However, I was able to access the folders within the broken directory by using the directory tree (the thing with the little arrows next to each folder that allows you to navigate through the directories) on the left side of the Windows 7 version of Windows Explorer. This allowed me to cut all the folders and files out of the broken directory and into a temporary location, and then I simply deleted the whole directory with the broken file in it. Beware of broken muxes.
    Quote Quote