VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To All:

I used Multi-AVCHD to put a HD program I shot using a Canon A1 to a standard sized dvd.

Before handing this out to a friend so he could see what High Def from an A1 looked like, I tested this disc on my computer and my Panasonic DMP-BD35 which both handled it fine so I thought I was all set.

The Panny can play AVCHD but I do not know if the X-Box has that capability.

Is there a way I can make a dvd containing HD that will play on his X-Box?

Something is missing here. What is it?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. xbox cannot play avchd discs , ps3 can
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I want to say clearly that I am not criticizing MultiAVCHD in any way.

Having said that, it's worth mentioning that some BluRay players can't play what it produces. I have a Momitsu BluRay player which will play AVCHD discs and BluRay format burned to DVD media, but MultiAVCHD can't produce a disc that my player will play. I've tried a variety of settings. The best I can get is a disc that plays music from the main menu but won't display anything, not even that main menu. There may be other players with similar problems. I am sure it is the fault of my player and not MultiAVCHD.

Note that some BluRay players won't play AVCHD under any circumstances but they may play BluRay format discs on DVD media. Or they may play AVCHD but not BluRay format on DVD media. Or they may not play either.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, the replies thus far being what they've been:

Is there any way I can put HD material on a standard dvd (preferably with as little quality loss as possible) that will play on blu-ray machines that are not compatible with AVCHD?

Anotherwords, is there another program that produces dvd's that will play on more Blu ray players?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. On DVD5/9 media I think multiavchd under "strict" mode will produce discs that play on most players

Is there any way I can put HD material on a standard dvd (preferably with as little quality loss as possible) that will play on blu-ray machines that are not compatible with AVCHD?
    Not really . Apparently PS3 can play unauthored streams (like a data disc), but most standalone blu-ray require authoring.

jman98 is right - some obscure players won't play them at all . But the same thing can be said for finicky dvd players that play normal dvd's. Some just reject certain types or brands of media , even blu-ray BD25/50 media .
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Canon GL-2 Guy - Baldrick's link tells you specifically what you have to make to get something to play on the Xbox.

Getting something that will play on the Xbox and producing a high def disc on DVD media that will play on most BluRay players are not the same thing. For the latter, what you did already will suffice.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Canon GL-2 Guy View Post
    So, the replies thus far being what they've been:

Anotherwords, is there another program that produces dvd's that will play on more Blu ray players?

Thanks.
    The term "DVD" implies a standard definition DVD authored disc.

You can downsize HD to 720x480i/29.97 or 720x480p/23.976 and you can author a DVD. A DVD will play on most Blu-Ray players that have a red laser in addition to the blue one used for reading BD/BE disks.

A DVDR is recordable media that can hold any kind of data.

The only common format for Blu-Ray players is the BD disc authored as Blu-Ray. Most will also play DVD. Some will play HD or SD h.264, MPeg2 or VC-1 from an AVCHD file structure on BD/BE or DVDR disc media. Some players will play video files from the root.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When I send out discs to people with unknown players, I usually send both a DVDR with AVCHD structure and an authored DVD. The labels say "For Blu-Ray player or computer" or "For DVD player".

I usually include a copies of VLC on the high def disc in both Windows and OSX formats. I figure the Linux guys can fend for themselves.
    Last edited by edDV; 24th Aug 2010 at 09:29.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Gents,

All of your posts constituted sound advice & were very informative.

I definitely learned from everyones responses.

Thanks so much for your combined input.

Bruce
    Quote Quote