VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using VirtualDubMod to crop a video and when i try to encode it to avi it says "Source image format is not acceptable".
    The video audio track is in Multichannel AC3 (identified as a52 by VLC), which i read VDMOD supports. The video is XVID. I'm saving it into latest DIVX.

This is the first time i'm getting this error, but also the first time i'm editing an AC3 video. I see no other reason for this error, yet it shouldn't be happening.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You say you are cropping - to what resolution? Depending on the output codec, it will have to be a multiple of 2, 4 or 16
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Right. Like i said, i'm using latest DIVX. I don't know about resolution, i don't see anywhere in VDMOD where i can set the resolution of the output file or even read it, especially when cropping.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The frame size after cropping must be even on both dimensions. Some versions of Divx/Xvid required multiples of 4.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Right, i get that. But i don't see where i can in VirtualDubMod read the resolution of the crop/while cropping, or of the output file, or set the resolution.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Read the V and H sizes from the 'File>File information' tab. Most important is that the resulting crop be even numbers, and usually divisible by the numbers mentioned above. Xvid doesn't seem so picky about that as Divx. It likely started out with even numbers, so during the crop, make sure you keep them even.

If you look in 'Video>Compression>Select video compression (Divx)>Format restrictions' you should see the size restrictions.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Unfortunately, the Crop dialog doesn't show you the dimensions. But when you're back at the main Filters dialog you can see the remaining frame size:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	size.png
Views:	422
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	3201
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's super helpful, it would have never occurred to me to look at again at the filters dialog. Thank you jagabo! And thanks to everyone else for their responses as well.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Main thing is to stay away from odd numbers during the crop.
    Quote Quote