VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    hello everyone,

used to come here at the time but haven't really been around the video editing and stuff in quite some time. really the ease of getting it already done and my capture card going out is to blame.

however i've been grabbing a lot of mkv files which i must say are outstanding, my understanding is many different file formats can me an mkv, but most of what i have are 720p files.

now i've had to download .ts files of shows because no mkv's was available so it was either get the small avi's or all ts files (and not even all was available as avi's).

so i oped for the ts files, didn't really want to have to waste a dvd per episode of a show and mkv's would probably still be better so maybe someone can help me with my deli-ma.

two scenarios

the first one is i just keep them as .ts files which depending on the ease and such might be what i do. the problem with these .ts files is they are too big for a standard dvd, some of them just a 100megs to 350megs too much and i aint wasting dual layer dvd's for that little bit of extra or for the series.

so try as i might i can't find a program that will convert them to what i want (other than dvd). what i am looking for is a program to re-encode or even transcode them but adjusting the final output size so it fits onto a standard dvd. i would prefer free or trial programs.

the second is since i am possibly re-encoding maybe i should take each .ts file and encode them to an mkv file. they are 720p which is what most of the mkv's i get that are around 1.09gigs in size (just the right size for four per dvd). but other than one program that will import them to output them to dvd's i can't find anything that will convert a .ts file and output to a mkv file.

i would really appreciate any help that can be provided. and i do apologize if this has been asked before, but i did search and could not find something that fit what i was looking to do.

i had tried cyberlinks media espersso or something like that but i am unsure if its going to do what i want so i am looking for other suggestions.

thanks

ryan
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try uncropmkv to re-encode and tsmuxer can mux what uncropmkv puts out for ts or mkvmerge for mkv files.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    i could not seem to get it to do anything for a ts file. i could go to it and it shows up with info but no preview but when i hit the start it takes two seconds and its done.

as for the mkv it looks like it was really re-encoding them but i didn't let it finish at this point as i don't seem to have any mkv's that resizing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    i could not seem to get it to do anything for a ts file. i could go to it and it shows up with info but no preview but when i hit the start it takes two seconds and its done.

as for the mkv it looks like it was really re-encoding them but i didn't let it finish at this point as i don't seem to have any mkv's that resizing.

Run the TS file through MediaInfo and post the log file - might help in pinning down the problem
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    i can do that but there is no problem with the ts file itself except its too large. if i knew of a good free or non cripple program to fix it that would be great.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You need to shrink it? Try ripbot264.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. This thread gives me with the info I need to get my 1080i h.264 .ts captures from my HDPVR 1212 down to a smaller 720p .mkv, using the various tools mentioned. Unfortunately now I feel like a box of rocks as far as understanding what the difference is between taking that same .ts file and running it through HDConvertToX to get a 720p .mkv file and using uncropMKV and obtaining the same results (and to me much faster than HDConvertToX).

I understand that there are more "tweaks" and controls over the process with HDConvertToX, but fundamentally don't they do the same thing?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ryan have you tried Handbrake ? it is free and works quite well.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    i have not tried handbrake yet, i have it downloaded but i can only test so much out at a time.

i got one caleld ff250 or something like that and it took the ts and make a nice mp4 but i had some studdering issue so that program still has a possiblity if noting else works,

i remember there's a lot of trial and error involved in this whole process. but things also have gotten more complex since my days of doing vcds, svcd,s and dvd's.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    i tried handbrake and it failed badly on two diffent files

the quality was great but it was like it created a file with the displaying fields backwards, two mins watching it i had a bad headache
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looking at the mediainfo log file I think you could run it through ProjectX in demux mode (repairs any transmission errors) then remux the audio and video to a normal mpeg2 file. (a number of free programs are available for this including MPEGStreamclip) Then I think you would be in a position to use Handbrake and get a descent result or try MPEGStreamclip to convert it. If necessar,y using ProjectX you can change the field order (located in the video tab of Presettings) for a general set up for ProjectX see my wiki under my signature.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    thanks everyone for your help.

handbrake did something weird to the files and i don't know what but it seems as if it reversed the field order assuming there is any in a 720p file but every time it was used the resulting files gave me headaches very very quick.

i got a working copy of tmpgenc express to use it seems to do a great job, i did a few tests with it last night, one was a mp4, avi, and mpeg, while all keeping the hd resolutions, all but i think the avi kept also the 59.94 framerate too.

funny thing it took 6 hours to encode the mp4 which ended up being just over 4gigs in size (which was fine as far as i was concerned), but while not as bad as handbrake it produced something weird which was bothersome but did not give me a headache.

the resulting avi file (not sure but i thought an avi couldn't have hd resolutions which is why you needed a wrapper suck as mkv but the output was a hd resolution avi file). that file took about 47 mins to encode and had a file of 1.09gigs which i think it produced a good quality encode but i need to fiddle with it either making the bitrate higher (to average around 1.4gigs each) or variable bitrate to produce a better looking file.

teh mpeg file ended up like the mp4 just over 4 gigs in size again whihc didn't really matter to me it produced a stunning copy just like the original and like the avi took about 45mins to encode but i had a setting wrong and it produced a 4:3 copy in stead of hte 16:9.

so tonight i am doing the test two more times. one with an adjusted avi with a higher bit-rate and possibly variable bit rate and the mpeg might also be variable as i did both the prior time as constant.

i'd hate to see how long the mp4 would take if at a constant bit rate it took 6 hours.

so in the end i have the issue solved just some trial and error.
    Quote Quote