VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. The file itself is fine since it runs properly in my media player. Using DirectShowSource in AVISynth to load the file into VirtualDub seems to break the audio though. GSpot says it's AAC audio in the MP4 file which I know already works properly. Hell, GSpot even shows the filters it uses and can play the file itself. VirtualDub does use Haali Media Splitter to load the file. I'm assuming the problem lies there, but I don't know for sure. Won't even load without Haali Media Splitter so I'm not quite sure what to do.

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you are loading it through avisynth then virtualdub will be seeing uncompressed audio. What do you get if you load the avisynth script into MPC ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. In MPC it plays perfectly fine. Yes, in VirtualDub it should be uncompressed audio. When I preview and/or convert the file, however, it doesn't have any sound despite it seemingly converting audio.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It seems to be a VirtualDub problem, though I don't know why. MPC, GSpot, and GraphEdit can play it, but it just doesn't work in VirtualDub. I can't see a reason for this, but that's all I can come up with. Looks like I'm just going to have to do this some other way unless you got any ideas.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Even more interesting. I found out I have this problem on all files with AAC audio. AAC plays file in MPC and I've converted AAC successfully in the past. Don't know what have changed. Something is probably being stupid for no reason.
    Quote Quote  
  6. When you have it loaded with an .avs file, what does vdub report when you check file=>file information? Is audio being passed through ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. It thinks there is.
    Quote Quote  
  8. and what vdub settings did you use to encode ?

what does gspot or mediainfo say about the exported file ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you load the avs file into MPC, or the original MP4 ? You should be loading the AVS file for testing int his instance.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. For audio, I've tried DirectStreamCopy (but only for testing purposes), but I usually use Lame MP3 32000 Hz 96-kbps CBR, with the proper conversion to 32000 Hz of course. Doesn't really matter about the settings since when I preview the input it doesn't have sound.

The AVS file of course. No need to load the MP4 file since I know the file is already working properly. The AVS files play just fine.
    Last edited by Alexstarfire; 17th Aug 2010 at 22:17.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Figured out that the AVS files were playing properly due to some internal filters. Turned them off and I either get nothing or some squeaky ass fast playing audio. It's kinda weird though. Tried uninstalling all my audio codecs to start fresh, but I was always able to play AAC files. Pretty sure that's not supposed to happen. I'm running Win 7 Pro 64-bit if that makes any difference. Anyway, what makes this weird is that the MP4 and MKV files that use AAC play fine. AVS files that load videos that don't use AAC run fine, ie using AVS files to load video files using AC3, MP3, Vorbis, etc play fine. And the final oddity is that if I uninstall Haali Media Splittter the "broken" AVS files play the sound perfectly fine but no video, for the obvious reason.

So I'm now royally confused since I don't know how this broke to begin with.

EDIT: Does it matter if I can't load GraphEdit anymore? The program loads, but the window doesn't show up. I only see it in the taskbar.
    Last edited by Alexstarfire; 18th Aug 2010 at 06:25.
    Quote Quote