VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone? I lost a lot of my blurays rips because I didn't have a backup. Going to rerip but to mkv this time in order to keep the size as minimal as possible while still maintaining most of the video fidelity

Recommendations?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I do all my RipBot BD backups to MKV with two pass, 1920 X 1080, AC3 6 channel, target size about 8GB to fit on a DVD DL disc for backup if I have hard drive storage failure. I have a video projector and large screen for playback. No complaints about quality. Takes about 4 hours with my setup.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yeah 10 GB is plenty.

On a related note, the more experience I gain, the more I'm inclined to think that many Blu-Ray transfers look just as good when re-encoded at 720P. Like one Doom9 regular says in regard to high-definition, pixel count isn't everything.

Maybe the source wasn't so great. Maybe a lot of filtering was applied. I think the "Predator" Blu-Ray is a prime example of this. I won't venture to estimate what proportion of Blu-Ray releases fall into this category, but it's not insignificant.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  4. @AnyD
    Don't aim for size. Use Constant Quality Mode (CQ) instead of 2-pass. Remember lower value means higher quality and bigger bitrate/size. 18 should give you excellent quality.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Atak - the file size can be pretty big though?

Fritzi / Redwudz - would you change the file size accordingly depending on the movie size? What I mean is Goodfellas is a 20gb m2ts file but Godfather 1 is 49gb - still use the same size?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Atak - the file size can be pretty big though?
    Fritzi / Redwudz - would you change the file size accordingly depending on the movie size? What I mean is Goodfellas is a 20gb m2ts file but Godfather 1 is 49gb - still use the same size?

In Constant Quality mode encoder decides automatically how much bitrate is required in order to reach specific quality level. With CRF@18 you should get sizes below 10 GB. Sometimes it can be ~5 GB and sometimes ~10GB. Remember movies with wider aspect ratio (letterboxed) and less dynamic will require less data than full 16:9 frame with lot of action. 2-pass should be ONLY used if you put your movies on CD,DVD,BD. Also Constant Quality mode does not need second pass. You save a lot of time!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not putting it on dvds. It will be streamed from a server. I just want to convert to something that will not be as big as a straight rip of the blu-ray but at the same time maintain as much video / audio quality as possible.

How good will CRF@18 be?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I mostly size for backup to DVD DL media. I've lost server drives and hours of encoding, so the ~8GB size works for me for server backups.

If you just need the video for quick access on a server, then CQ would be a lot faster encode. (And the quality level you pick should be consistent with all your videos, even the longer ones, though they may be larger sized.)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok thanks. If I get another failure again where I lose two of my drives then I will no longer continue backing up my blurays. I rather have the best quality than a 2nd backup as I spent a bit getting a WHS set up.

Ok I'll keep the CQ consistent. I'll try out CQ18 to see how it fares vs source material

EDIT - you mentioned AC3 6 channel - is that 5.1? Also what do you normally go for kbps?
    Last edited by AndyD; 8th Aug 2010 at 21:52.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    640Kb/s AC3, usually 5.1 (6 channel) as that's all my surround sound is set up for.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just got around to trying this out - got a 3gb file for Bourne Identity using CRF 22 - seems pretty low no? For 1080p?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    I just got around to trying this out - got a 3gb file for Bourne Identity using CRF 22 - seems pretty low no? For 1080p?
    I obviously have a tough time with reading comprehension - I went the opposite direction with the CRF thinking higher was better. Doh. Rerunning now for 18
    Quote Quote  
  13. 18-19 is pretty transparent to the actual source.
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit -- Intel Core i7 930 (2.80ghz - not OC) -- 6gb triple channel ram -- 2 500gb hdds and a 2tb hdd
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by patmann03 View Post
    18-19 is pretty transparent to the actual source.
    But the stock Blu-Ray disc has already been compressed 15-30 times. They stopped there because it was "good enough". You should see a comparison to the original.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How long should these conversions last? The eta usually starts at around 4 hours but it ends up taking 8. Seems a bit long and I think I have pretty decent hardware
    Quote Quote  
  16. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    With RipBot, it takes me about six hours to convert a BD main movie to a two pass MKV 8Gb file. That with a overclocked 3.6Ghz six core CPU. It does take some time. But the quality is excellent.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    K. I'm not sure what is slowing it down. It starts with high fps but then slows down to half of that. For Godfather, it's going to take 15 hours

I don't have a 6 core cpu - I have the Intel quad core but I would think it's decent enough. Oh well. I guess this will be a much longer project than I originally anticipated

EDIT - I see now why Godfather may be taking that much more time. It's actually quite larger than some of the other movies that I've been converting
    Last edited by AndyD; 26th Aug 2010 at 08:58.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you were using the two pass option in RipBot, the first pass is much faster than the second pass, IE, more frames per second.

With a stock Intel Q9550, it took me about 8 hours for the average BD>MKV conversion. A longer movie would add more time to that. I rip the BD to my hard drive and convert from that, so I don't factor in the ripping time. Converting directly from the BD disc may take a bit longer.

You can check 'Task Manager>Performance' and see if you are getting 90%+ utilization with all cores of your CPU. If so, that's about as fast as it can run.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, it's going the fastest it can. It took 17 hours to finish. CRF settings means just one pass though right? Or is it 2?

Godfather ended up at 25gbs. Seems a bit big. For now I'll leave as is - I think I need to do a lot more conversions to get a sense of what to expect etc
    Quote Quote  
  20. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    CRF is one pass. 25GB does seem a bit on the large side as the main movie on the BD probably isn't much larger.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The ones I'm converting now are around 20-30gbs but the Godfather trilogy seems to be 46gb for each movie
    Quote Quote