VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I've spent the last few months coverting about 100 VHS tapes to DVD and kept the individual mpg files on a PC hard-drive for archive and future recompression.

However, I have hundreds of files and need to be able to add tags to the files such as Year, Catergory etc (all the typical information which you can view in Windows Explorer by right clicking and looking at File Properties). But - I don't know how to enter the information in the first place! I can't simply enter it in on Properties! (It's very similar to iTunes etc when you see the artists name, album, BPM etc)

Any advice as I'd really like to catalogue a lot of this material better so it's easier to sort, rather than just a file name?

Matt
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you just want simple descriptive text just right click the file and select properties. Then you can enter the title and there is a box for a description paragraph or two (not sure on length limitation).

I'm sure there are dedicated programs that would make meta tagging easier but if you just want to start with simple basic information windows let you do it directly. FYI I'm using XP currently. I have Vista Premium 32bit but I'm not on that computer right now.

Edit - yes the subject and author rows are grayed out for some reason but there must be a way to enable text entry in those boxes directly. Not sure how to do that.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Well thats what I want to do - but for some reason it won't let me change any tag values at all!! I can change the values of JPEGs or MOV's but not MPGs. Can you confirm you can with MPGs? I'm not sure if it's a setting somewhere?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was able to do it with a wmv file.

Is it a setting for archived file or something? Or is it protected? Is it read only or something like that? Try copying it to another directory and fidle with the properties to see if you can get access to it.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not sure why those fields even show up in the details tab, because the MPG format does not allow for file-level metadata like many other video file types. Chalk it up as another Windows head-scratcher.
    Do or do not. There is no "try." - Yoda
    Quote Quote