VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am trying to convert some MKV files I have to avi, so that I can run them through AutoGK to shrink them. I had 3 files I needed to do, I was able to do the first fairly easy with VirtualDubMod but not the other two

Can someone please help me

I have the following software installed
    AutoGK
    VirtualDub
    VirtualDubMod
    mkv2vob
    Handbrake
    mkvtoolnix

Also, I have the K-Lite Mega Codec pack installed

I am sorry if I have provided enough info, i will update as needed
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can spot a couple of mistakes already.

1. K-lite. I know it has fans, but fankly, there simply isn't a reason to install, and lots of reasons not to.

2. Why the hell would you convert a file to AVI, only to run it through AutoGK to re-encode it again to make it smaller ? Evry time you re-encode, especially at lower and lower bitrates, you reduce the quality (not to mention the time it takes). If you are going to encode to AVI, do it once,and get it right. There is absolutely no reason to do what you are planning to do.

Unfortunately, I believe handbrake no longer supports AVI output, and virtualdub is not the best tool for handling mkv files.

I would suggest Xvid4psp, and use the AVI (Hardware) profile for the best compatibility with standalone players. Configure the encode to give you the size you need, and you won't have to waste time and lose quality running it through AutoGK.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. My main reason K-Lite is the mkv thumbnails, they didn't work corretcly with Haali or Divx.

I have installed Xvid4psp Portable (BETA) how do I configure the encode to give me the size I need?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Chose AVI as the output type, and Xvid as the codec. Click on the Settings icon next where you selected Xvid, and make sure the encoding mode is set to constant bitrate. Under that are two drop downs - one for bitrate, one for size. Select the size you want from the list, or use the bitrate to adjust the size to fit your needs. The lower the bitrate, the smaller the size (and the lower the quality)
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Converting now, and thank you guns1inger, you have been very helpful

Ok, I tried it at 1000kpbs and it converted correctly, but the quality could have been better. I am trying again at 1600kbps and am using HQ on the optimization settings. Hopefully this will give me some better results.
    Last edited by deadman36g; 7th Aug 2010 at 07:15.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What resolution are you encoding to ? At those bitrates you may have to resize down to 640 wide or less
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I didn't even think of changing the resolution It is currently 1280x716p. The one that I was able to convert with VirtualDubMob was also 1280x716p and is now 640 x 352 and it looks good.

Where do I go to change the resolution? also what is the preview tab for?

And last, is there a guide or manual for this app. It seems really great and I would love to take advantage of features I am not aware of.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try WinFF
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Where you chose the codec, add a resolution filter and configure this for 640x
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Changing the resolution gave me great results, somethings strange though the thumbnail shows it as Full Screen, yet when I play it, it is widescreen.

Is there a reason for this?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use the newer versions of Virtualdub (1.9.9 and 1.9.X-test27) with the Directshow Input Driver, Haali Media Splitter and ffdshow to open MKV (and other file types that Virtualdub does not support) files. Here is a thread from Virtualdub forums...

http://forums.virtualdub.org/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=18798&

I use either the XviD codec at Target Quantizer of 2.00 or DivX 6.9 at 1 pass quality based fixed quantizer of 3. This will give about the same quality of original file. If I use Virtualdub 1.9.X-test27 with external encoder then I save to 264/aac MKV using medium preset at 2000 min and 4000 max bitrate.

Here is a thread on using the external encoder...

http://forums.virtualdub.org/index.php?act=ST&f=5&t=18789&

To resize, Video > Filters > Add > Resize.

I use K-Lite also for MKV and FLV thumbnails but I do not install any of the codecs, just the tools. I install all of my codecs from the creators website. There could be a conflict causing the thumbnail issue. I notice that Huffy and Lagarith AVI thumbnails are shown upside down.

You can change the size of your thumbnails with TweatUI. 132 pixels seems to be the limit though. The white background will get as big as you can make it but the thumbnail is limited to 132 pixels.
    Quote Quote  
  12. How can I go about installing K-Lite just for thumbnail functionality? Can I get this as a separate download?

I am soon going to start with a clean system (again, lol) and I don't mind using a codec pack but what is the safest one to use? (Shark007, K-Lite, CCCP)?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I lost my ability to use the external encoder so I uninstalled K-Lite, uninstalled and reinstalled neroaacenc, haali splitter and x264. Still no external encoder. Reinstalled K-Lite for thumbnails but cannot get FLV, MP4 or MKV thumbnails anymore.

Looks like I'll have to do a clean reinstall of Windows since K-lite has obviously screwed my system.

I wished someone could write a program to give thumbnail view without having to screw your system. K-Lite has a seperate codec tweak tool download and although it has the thumbnail feature, it doesn't seem to do any good with FLV, mp4 and mkv thumbnails.
    Quote Quote