VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    My HD video camera has recorded HD video. I saw it is .MTS file in the AVCHD folder. But my pc has no blu-ray DVD burner. If I connect my HD video camera to the pc or regular DVD recorder to burn the DVD, the movie will be the standard DVD, just like the DVD recorded from a non HD video camera. Is it correct or the video quality will still be better than the non HD video camera?
    Last edited by coody; 4th Aug 2010 at 10:45.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    a scale model of the entire mall!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Tell us your camcorder model number. If AVCHD, the mts file will be 1920x1080i or 1440x1080i or 720x480i depending on record settings. End DVD video quality will vary by camcoder design, bit rate used and the way you convert h.264 to DVD MPeg2. A quality 720x480i camcorder (like a Sony VX-2100) may make a higher quality DVD than an AVCHD camcorder.

If you want HD resolution to play on a Blu-Ray player, you can go with full Blu-Ray authoring burned to Blu-Ray media or you can use a program like MultiAVCHD to create a simplified AVCHD folder with video conversion to m2ts. The latter can be burned to BD or DVDR media and will play on most Blu-Ray players. Video quality will depend on bit rate used but the higher the bit rate, the less minutes of video will fit on a DVDR 5/9 disc.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you mean the DVD burner does not matter but the video source does? Do you mean the regular DVD burner and non blu-ray DVD disc still be able to burn the higher quality DVD movie as long as the connected HD video camera can record 1080 video? I got the info. The regular DVD burner can only make a standard DVD even the video source is the HD. Is it correct?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    No, the dvd burner in your computer doesn't know or care what resolution the video is. You can make a HD video and burn to regular dvd media with a normal dvd burner, it just won't playback on a stand alone dvd player. Those stand alone players are limited in playback to resolutions seen in dvd-video.

You can play it back in a Blu ray player as stated before.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A standard DVD player is limited to 720x480 NTSC or 720x576 PAL. Some models will upscale to high definition.

Computer software players or Blu-Ray players can play high definition from DVDR media. Your DVD burner is capable of buring discs in high definition formats.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the clarification. I see the regular DVD burner can burn the HD DVD but the copied DVD disc just cannot be played in the regular DVD player.

How about using the regular DVD burner to copy the HD video to the regular DVD+/-R(W) disc? Can the regular DVD burner copy the HD video to the REGULAR DVD disc (non blu-ray disc) and playable on the regular DVD player?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by coody
    Can the regular DVD burner copy the HD video to the REGULAR DVD disc (non blu-ray disc) and playable on the regular DVD player?

No. It needs to be CONVERTED into DVD in order for it to work.

AVCHD is a special format that needs little or no conversion to play on high def bluray players. REGULAR DVD needs to conform to the dvd specifications.

You will need to use software to convert the high def video to regular dvd so it can be burnt AS a dvd.

You can use a number of programs like format factory or avstodvd. You can also use multiavchd to make a SD-DVD (standard definition dvd).
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by coody View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. I see the regular DVD burner can burn the HD DVD but the copied DVD disc just cannot be played in the regular DVD player.

How about using the regular DVD burner to copy the HD video to the regular DVD+/-R(W) disc? Can the regular DVD burner copy the HD video to the REGULAR DVD disc (non blu-ray disc) and playable on the regular DVD player?
    Are you serious!?!?!?!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Can the regular DVD burner copy the HD video to the REGULAR DVD disc (non blu-ray disc) and playable on the regular DVD player?

AVCHD is a special format that needs little or no conversion to play on high def bluray players. REGULAR DVD needs to conform to the dvd specifications.

You will need to use software to convert the high def video to regular dvd so it can be burnt AS a dvd.

You can use a number of programs like format factory or avstodvd. You can also use multiavchd to make a SD-DVD (standard definition dvd).
    How about connect the HD video camera to the regular DVD recorder by the AV cable with the standard DVD disc inserted? Is it recordable and then playable on the regular DVD player, by the way?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post

How about connect the HD video camera to the regular DVD recorder by the AV cable with the standard DVD disc inserted? Is it recordable and then playable on the regular DVD player, by the way?
    Yes but with very low SD quality in letterbox (for most DVD recorders).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since a regular DVD burner can copy the HD DVD, can anyone explain what‘s the difference in the video quality by using between the regular and blu-ray DVD burner to copy the HD video?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It seems like you are using the term copy a lot. Remember there is a difference between copying and converting.

Copying is just keeping the data intact without doing anything to it. Converting changes the structure and format of the video.

HD video typically refers to 720p or 1080i/p video with some irregular resolutions inbetween (the irregular resolutions above 720p generally are only playable on a computer without further conversion).

SD video resolution is 720x480 for NTSC for North America or lower. 720x480 is the basic setting for dvd resolution. There are variants that can conform to dvd spec.

Read this for specs on dvd:

https://www.videohelp.com/dvd

Read this for specs on bluray:

https://www.videohelp.com/hd

Don't forget a dvd can only hold at most 8gb (rounded figure since the stated whole number is different than the actual bytes you can fit). A bluray can hold 25gigs or more.

In order for it to play in a regular dvd or bluray player the video has to be in a format that the dvd or bluray player can recognize.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since a regular DVD burner can copy the HD DVD, can anyone explain what‘s the difference in the video quality by using between the regular and blu-ray DVD burner to copy the HD video?
    Some basic definitions

DVD burner

Burns data to a DVDR 5 (4.35 GB single layer) or DVDR 9 (7.95 GB dual layer) disc. For a burn to be compatible with a DVD player, you need to follow DVD authoring rules. https://www.videohelp.com/dvd For a burn to be compatible with a Blu-Ray player one must create an AVCHD folder structure with a program like MultiAVCHD.

Blu-Ray burner

Burns data to a Blu-Ray BD/BE disc. A Blu-Ray disc has about 25GB per layer so can record more than five times the data per layer vs. DVDR. Blu-Ray discs also have a higher maximum data transfer rate >35 Mb/s.

Therefore, for camcorder format playback on a Blu-Ray player the discs types only differ in the amount of data they can hold. For the 1920x1080i 24 Mb/s AVCHD camcorder format, a DVDR 5 can hold about 20 minutes. A single layer Blu-Ray disc can hold about 115 minutes.
    Last edited by edDV; 9th Aug 2010 at 09:43.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info. My HD video camera software gives other two copy options besides of the AVCHD format, the DVD-video format (9 Mbps) and DVD—video format (6 Mbps). The DVD-video (6 Mbps) probably is the SD DVD, right? What is the DVD-video format (9 Mbps)? Is it playable on the regular DVD player or it must be played on the blu-ray DVD player? If it must be played on the blu-ray DVD player, is there much difference between the AVCHD and DVD-video format (9 Mbps)?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    no no no..the 9mbps video will only play on highly specialized equipment...since I pity your inability to learn anything..I will sell it to you today for the low price of 39,999.95.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info. My HD video camera software gives other two copy options besides of the AVCHD format, the DVD-video format (9 Mbps) and DVD—video format (6 Mbps). The DVD-video (6 Mbps) probably is the SD DVD, right? What is the DVD-video format (9 Mbps)? Is it playable on the regular DVD player or it must be played on the blu-ray DVD player? If it must be played on the blu-ray DVD player, is there much difference between the AVCHD and DVD-video format (9 Mbps)?
    What is the make and model number of the camcorder? They differ.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by greymalkin View Post
    no no no..the 9mbps video will only play on highly specialized equipment...since I pity your inability to learn anything..I will sell it to you today for the low price of 39,999.95.
    I am making both of DVD-video (9Mbps and 6Mbps) and will play them on a regular DVD palyer for the test. The result will tell everything.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by greymalkin View Post
    I am making both of DVD-video (9Mbps and 6Mbps) and will play them on a regular DVD palyer for the test. The result will tell everything.
    What is the make and model number of the camcorder? They differ.

If the file is AVC, it won't play.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    By testing, high quality DVD-video format (9Mbps) is recordable on a regular DVD burner and playable on a regular DVD player.
    Last edited by coody; 11th Aug 2010 at 06:22.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Then it is MPeg2.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have already said the software provides three copy formats, AVCHD, high quality DVD-video (9Mbps) and DVD-video (6 Mbps). I asked earlier whether the DVD-video (9Mbps) is playable on the regular DVD player. The replier said no but actually yes. I just update it for sharing. By the way, can anyone explain why the video-DVD (9 Mbps) is better than video-DVD (6 Mbps)?
    Last edited by coody; 11th Aug 2010 at 15:59.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have already said the software provides three copy formats, AVCHD, high quality DVD-video (9Mbps) and DVD-video (6 Mbps). I asked earlier whether the DVD-video (9Mbps) is playable on the regular DVD player. The replier said no but actually yes. I just update it for sharing. By the way, can anyone explain why the video-DVD (9 Mbps) is better than video-DVD (6 Mbps)?
    If you would just give us the &#@% make/model number we could read it off the spec sheet.

9 Mbps is 50% higher bit rate than 6 Mbps. That is why the video quality is better.
    Last edited by edDV; 11th Aug 2010 at 16:49.
    Quote Quote  
  24. This thread was started by coody, why doesn't this surprise me?
    Trying to explain video to coody is like explaining Windows to deadrats.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MOVIEGEEK, are you jealous?
    Quote Quote