VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Anyone used a SATA to IDE adapter with any success? My primary drive in my main rig is showing signs of failure. One bad sector so far but I want to fix it before any major issues occur. Paragon won't backup because it keeps detecting this. I can't find much in the way of IDE drives that have good reviews at all now. From what I understand the WD drives are now just SATA drives with a built in adapter. So I thought I'd try out a Spinpoint on a Koutech adapter and see how it goes. Any input?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812240012&cm_re=sata_to_ide-_-12...-012-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152181
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi,

I used a similar style adaptor to connect an ide drive to a sata motherboard for a while, and although it worked ok, it did have a couple of issues.

So i later switched to a controller card which has proved reliable.

IF you have a free PCI or PCI Express slot, then i think your best option would be a SATA controller card.

PCI express would be preferable if you have a slot.

There are several examples at the site below.

http://www.startech.com/category/parts/io-cards-adapters/sata-cards/list.aspx

cheers
    Last edited by anaboland; 2nd Aug 2010 at 08:22.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They never worked for me.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Poppa_Meth,

I you sure your mb won't support booting from a SATA drive? Just ran into the same issues and migrated my OS drive this weekend from an old 80gb WD to 500gb WD SATA ($49 drive only from Newegg). Downloaded the free Acronis WD Edition, created a bootable disk with the Acronis tools and migrated the 80gb to a new 500gb partition. Easiest drive copy I've ever done.

It'll all be up to your BIOS. If you've got SATA on the mb, chances are you can have it boot from a new SATA drive.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    PCI SATA controller card worked fine for me, and the card I got had connections for up to 4 SATA drives. FYI Ghost 2003 has worked for me imaging even drives with bad sectors, and I suspect Seagate DiscWizard which is a free download would work too.
    Last edited by bevills1; 2nd Aug 2010 at 09:45.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, a lot of programs have issues when these problems appear.

I used to trick maxtor tools to copy drives provided at least one drive connected was maxtor brand. It meant having three drives during the transfer / copy mode ... it worked when most other tools failed.

As for the sata to ide adapters ... yes they work pretty well.

As for your transfer you could try EASEUS Disk Copy

The boot method has an option to ignore read errors but if there are many it could take days to complete.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FYI there's a work around for Seagate DiscWizard to work with non Seagate drives at http://forums.seagate.com/t5/DiscWizard-and-MaxBlast/Using-DiscWizard-MaxBlast-to-back...hard/m-p/25406 which eliminates need to have a certain brand drive connected. I've tried the work around, and it works. BTW there's a 1TB WD SATA drive with 4 out of 5 star customer rating for $55.49 with free shipping at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002U1N95K.
    Quote Quote  
  8. My current PC is a Dimension 8300 (I'm building a new one soon.) It DOES have a SATA connection but I've seen a lot of posts on the Dell forums about issues cloning them. I have a Paragon backup I could try loading directly to the SATA drive via a SATA connection. My BIOS doesn't support IDE emulation of a SATA drive so drivers have to be loaded for the controller. I'm not sure what kind of hassle I'll get into on this trying to clone or restore the backup.

I have access to full versions of Paragon 9 and Acronis 9.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Poppa_Meth View Post
    My current PC is a Dimension 8300 (I'm building a new one soon.) It DOES have a SATA connection but I've seen a lot of posts on the Dell forums about issues cloning them. I have a Paragon backup I could try loading directly to the SATA drive via a SATA connection. My BIOS doesn't support IDE emulation of a SATA drive so drivers have to be loaded for the controller. I'm not sure what kind of hassle I'll get into on this trying to clone or restore the backup.

I have access to full versions of Paragon 9 and Acronis 9.

Cloning the drive is the easy part and can be done on almost any system. Have you checked the BIOS to see if you can boot from the SATA port(s)?
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  10. Before you clone the drive, delete out your IDE controllers in device manager
    reboot to the clone software not to XP
    If you're lucky, XP will load using the SATA drive without a BSOD

If you just clone an IDE to SATA with XP, you'll just get a BSOD trying to load XP
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a 400GB SATA drive connected to a SATA/IDE converter card (small little thing) which is then plugged into my Promise TX2 PCI card, which added two IDE slots to the system. It works fine. I've had that setup for about a year now. The promise supports up to 1TB per drive, I believe. The main motherboard on that system can only see 120GB drives.

I had another motherboard with 4 SATA and 2 IDE. All of the SATA ports acted wonky, so I didn't use them. I ended up giving that away to a family member a couple of months ago, built him a "new" computer to replace a much older heap.

I use Acronis for drive transfers. I use Paragon for backups.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  12. I used 2 of those to connect some IDE drives in a RAID once. They worked just fine with no apparent slow down, then one of the adapters died; the controller chip overheated. Funny, cause the other controller never got hot. Anyway, if you're gonna spend that kind of money on one of those, you're better off buying a SATA controller card and set your BIOS to boot from other device. Here's some low cost alternative, if you can wait 10 days:

This one is pretty cool, converts an IDE port to 2 SATA:

http://cgi.ebay.com/IDE-SATA-100-133-HDD-CD-DVD-Converter-Adapter-Cable-/140424298711?...item20b1f0c0d7

For only 1 drive go with this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PATA-IDE-SATA-Adapter-Converter-Card-3-5-HDD-9757-/160448921062?cm...item255b803de6
    Quote Quote  
  13. I got both a Paragon and an Acronis Boot Disk from work. They both have a version of adaptive restore which is suppose to allow me to install SATA drivers when restoring the image to the new SATA drive. Hopefully one way or the other I'll get this to work.

Odd thing has happened in the mean time though. Last night I ran the Western Digital Diagnostics from a Floppy instead of from inside of windows. It found no errors at all. Today I use the Paragon HDD Manager 2010 WinPE boot disc from work and did a successful backup outside of Windows. I then did another scan inside of Windows with the WD Diagnostics and no errors were found. No log shows any record of any errors being fixed. The bad sector can't have just disappeared. Any idea if there is something else that could cause this without it physically being the HDD?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yup - SATA PCI / PCI Express card rather than SATA-IDE adapter... Can work - some dont, If you buy from Ebay be carefull as some listed as bi-directional arn't....
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Poppa_Meth View Post
    The bad sector can't have just disappeared.
    Drives have up to 10% extra free "hidden" space to swap bad sectors. This is done in the background by the drive firmware and is seemless to the user. Writing to the bad sector is usually required for this to happen, but it's possible running WD DLG from floppy did it.

You can tell when a drive has had sectors replaced by running HDTach; the curve should be smooth, all the dips are replaced sectors.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I had already ordered the Samsung Drive so I installed it tonight. I tried to preinstall the drivers into Windows. Not sure if that worked correctly. I booted the Paragon CD and cloned my partitions. I went from one Primary and one Logical on the old drive to 3 primaries on the new drive. I wanted to leave some free space for a future Linux Mint install. Working fine so far. I booted right up into Windows, it installed drivers for the new drive and rebooted. All is well. The only issue I have now it that the BIOS complains on each startup that Primary Drive 1 is not found. I guess I'll have to turn it off in the BIOS since only one drive is connected to the Primary IDE cable now. It is set to Auto but I guess it wants to complain anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Poppa, Is your Samsung Drive an IDE or a SATA? I it's a SATA what SATA to IDE adapter did you use?

Thanks

John
    Quote Quote  
  18. It's a SATA, but I ended up not using an adapter at all. Praragon was able to inject the proper drivers to run clone my IDE drive to the SATA with no bootup issues afterward.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So, the SATA HDD can be connected directly to the your motherboard to a SATA connector?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Yes I had onboard SATA connection but the way the chipset is utilized on this board makes it a pain to use it correctly. With some advance planning I got it going with minimal interruption.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks mate
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The PCI adapter from my reply #5 worked for connecting sata drive to ide motherboard, but I've recently incurred the reverse situation, i.e. use of ide drive with sata motherboard. Does anybody know a solution for this situation? I've tried a PCI card and an adapter that connects the ide drive to a sata port, neither of which works. The system won't post with the PCI card installed, and it will boot with the adapter connecting the drive to a sata port; however, neither the bios nor Windows recognizes the drive. I've tried setting the ide CDRW drive to master, slave and cable select with the same results. Does anybody know an adapter or PCI card that will work for this situation?
    Quote Quote  
  23. When you say it won't post with the PCI adapter, at what point does it fail? Does it do the memory count, any screen display, or no visual or no power?

If it starts display and then freezes, try disabling various BIOS items, some or all SATA ports, Parallel, Serial, etc. Such cards often have their own BIOS, address conflicts can cause this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SHeeeeeze, there are so many answers maybe I am wasting my time... however, here is an adapter I used on a client's computer (very old system). She was in your situation and money was tight for her, so I installed a 500 gig SATA and this adapter to her PATA cables, and it is still working great.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It starts display and freezes at the screen that says press "F2" or "Del" to enter setup, but it won't enter setup or boot to Windows. I'm using sata hard drives and want to connect ide optical drives, and thus disabling all sata ports wouldn't be a viable solution.

The adapter shown at the link in reply #24 looks like it's connecting sata drive to ide port, but I want to connect ide drive to sata port.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by bevills1 View Post
    It starts display and freezes at the screen that says press "F2" or "Del" to enter setup, but it won't enter setup or boot to Windows. I'm using sata hard drives and want to connect ide optical drives, and thus disabling all sata ports wouldn't be a viable solution.
    Make sure the IDE DVD/CD drive is set to master, not slave. With the current setup I suspect it will boot if you wait long enough (a minute or two), though the drive won't be recognized.
    Last edited by jagabo; 1st Jan 2014 at 20:27.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by bevills1 View Post
    Make sure the IDE DVD/CD drive is set to master, not slave. With the current setup I suspect it will boot if you wait long enough (a minute or two), though the drive won't be recognized.
    What's the point of doing that if the drive isn't recognized? I'm looking for a viable solution to the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by bevills1 View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by bevills1 View Post
    What's the point of doing that if the drive isn't recognized? I'm looking for a viable solution to the problem.
    The viable solution is to set the DVD/CD drive to master.

I was also telling you that the computer would eventually boot if you leave the drive like it is. But the drive probably wouldn't be available.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by bevills1 View Post
    The PCI adapter from my reply #5 worked for connecting sata drive to ide motherboard, but I've recently incurred the reverse situation, i.e. use of ide drive with sata motherboard. Does anybody know a solution for this situation?
    An IDE to USB adapter seems to work pretty reliably. I keep one handy for connecting IDE drives, although I've not used it in quite a while. It requires the drive to be set to master or it'll appear not to be working (the drive won't show up).
    The adaptor I have constitutes a power supply for the IDE drive and an IDE to USB cable. Think of it like an external USB enclosure for an IDE hard drive without the case to put the drive in. There's nothing to stop you using the IDE to USB cable with an internal drive while it's connected to the PC's power supply, even if you need to run the cable out of the rear of the PC to connect it to a USB port (assuming there's no internal ones). The one I have has a long enough cable.

You can also buy similar adaptors which are USB one end and both IDE and SATA the other end.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @bevills1.... I was answering Papameth, not you. That's what happens when there are multiple questions in a single thread. However.... just get the adapter that does the opposite. They are available.
    Quote Quote