VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have used Auto Gordian Knot (AGK) happily for years to convert MPG2 videos to XVID. Recently, every session with AGK has terminated at the beginning of the first pass with a VirtualDubMod error for "out-of-bounds memory access violation". The AGK log shows "Open avi failed."

My OS is Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. I'm guessing that some recent update to the OS has tightened access to system RAM in a way that breaks the usual AGK process. I'm compleltely stumped on how to fix it.

That leads me to ask:

--Has anyone else run into this? If so, do you have any clue as to what I might do to recover use of AGK?

--Do you have any recommendation for a replacement that would give me what I have valued most about AGK:
    -- set-and forget convenience
    -- automatic cropping of letterbox or pillarbox format
    -- ability to specify size of the output file
    -- two-pass XVID output quality

(I have used the latest version of DivX Converter. It gives me the convenience I want, but the output quality seems to fall short of two-pass Xvid.)

Actually, I would be most pleased if I could move up to something that would take 1920x1080 input and give me x264-compressed HD output in .mp4 or .mkv formet, with the convenience of AGK. Any recommendations for that?

Many thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AutoGK works for me on Windows 7, but I rarely use it. I have moved on to AVC/H264 encoded with Handbrake and StaxRip.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you don't want to move on to MKV or MP4 then avi.Net is not bad as a replacement for AutoGK. I have Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit) and it has worked fine up to some point where I have updated a program or installed a codec? and it no longer works. I spent a lot of time searching for a solution but finally decided it was time to move on - Handbrake, MakemKV , etc...
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote