VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I ordered the WDTV Live Plus last week, but I canceled it cause I'm also in the market for a PS3. I know the PS3 plays a ton of media, so I didn't want two devices that do the same thing.

My question is, does it play the same media types? or am I better off getting the WDTV?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Absolutely not. The ps3 is not nearly as versatile as the wdtv.

However the ps3 does have a slight edge over the 360 in terms of being able to do avchd and m2ts high def files.

BUT it does NOT do mkv. That will be a major knock against it IF you are simply looking for video playback.

If you want gaming obviously you can't do that with the wdtv. Nor does the wdtv play bluray or any disc media of any type.

You'll need to weigh your need for vast file compatiblity of the wdtv versus the more standardized ps3. If gaming is not a necessity of the device I would say go for the wdtv.

For starters it has a WAY WAY smaller footprint and can squeeze in just about any media center shelf space. The ps3 is quite a bit bigger (though I have a 40gb fat model so I don't really know how much sleeker the slim model is since I don't have one).

So basically do you want gaming and bluray capability at a higher price? Or do you want superior file playback abiltiy that the wdtv offers without disc playback and no gaming?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Absolutely not. The ps3 is not nearly as versatile as the wdtv.
    That's all I needed to know. Thanks.

I'm a huge gamer, but I prefer the 360 over the PS3. I thought the PS3 played everything like the WDTV. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tj1182
    I thought the PS3 played everything like the WDTV.
    Nope. Its advantages over the 360 are the m2ts and avchd support like I mentioned. But in all honesty it doesn't do much more than the 360 except of course bluray that the 360 doesn't have.

But its stripped down compared to the wdtv.

Edit - forgot to mention the ps3 can only do fat32 harddrives so thats the 4gb file limit. THE WDTV DOES NTFS AND NO FILE LIMIT.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Originally Posted by tj1182
    I thought the PS3 played everything like the WDTV.
    Nope. Its advantages over the 360 are the m2ts and avchd support like I mentioned. But in all honesty it doesn't do much more than the 360 except of course bluray that the 360 doesn't have.

But its stripped down compared to the wdtv.

Edit - forgot to mention the ps3 can only do fat32 harddrives so thats the 4gb file limit. THE WDTV DOES NTFS AND NO FILE LIMIT.
    Yeah, plus the 2ch audio on the Xbox is grueling.

Can I use Fat32 on the WDTV? I already have my 1TB halfway full formatted to Fat32, cause I use it on the 360 to play some of the files that it actually plays.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm pretty sure. I would imagine that is like backwards compatibility. I imagine if it can do ntfs it HAS to be able to do fat32. Though since that is the major draw for the wdtv I have never tested mine on the fat32 system. I have the first gen non live non mini version.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I sure hope so. I'll be pissed if I have to transfer and reformat. I don't even have that much room on my PC to back it up. But I'm sure it does, it has to.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes, the WDTV series can play files off a FAT32 formatted device. But FAT32 has a 4GB max file size limit.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Yes, the WDTV series can play files off a FAT32 formatted device. But FAT32 has a 4GB max file size limit.
    Great. Yeah that's the only downside. I'll figure something out to transfer some stuff. I have a 320GB external, so I could put some stuff on that.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You should also be able to change it to NTFS without losing all your files already stored on it if you wanted to, but don't just right click it and choose format or you will lose everything.

I have done it several times in the past with no problems.
    http://www.ntfs.com/quest3.htm

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=converting+fat32+to+ntfs+without+losing+data&...243f4fdcd3825a
    Last edited by Noahtuck; 31st Jul 2010 at 23:53.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    You should also be able to change it to NTFS without losing all your files already stored on it if you wanted to, but don't just right click it and choose format or you will lose everything.

I have doe it several times in the past with no problems.
    http://www.ntfs.com/quest3.htm

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=converting+fat32+to+ntfs+without+losing+data&...243f4fdcd3825a
    Now that is just friggin awesome. Of course I'm gonna be hesitant to try it.

EDIT: I could use my 320Gb and put some files on it to give it a try.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm...It says it can't convert cause the drive is in use. Maybe I should try it in Safe Mode?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nevermind, I did it. No data lost. But I only had 2gigs of data on it. I'm still a little worried, just in case. My PC is an old POS.
    Quote Quote