VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello.. I'm looking to add a 2nd HD wireless media player. I currently have a Xbox running XBMC and I just love the GUI on the XBMC !! I will be streaming videos through my home network on a PC running Windows XP. I'm leaning towards getting a WD TV Live Plus along with a wireless card. From what I've read this unit works great but is a little challenged in the GUI department (I know this is trivial to some). I REALLY like how you can use a scraper with the XBMC to auto download movie or tv information and thumbnails ! Does anyone know of a unit that will auto download this information ? Any suggestions / comments are welcome !

Thank you !
    Last edited by 001dummy; 30th Jul 2010 at 22:33.
    Quote Quote  
  2. NEttop? with Windows/MC installed? WD is also good. Qnap nmp1000 is also quite stylish, and should be on sale soon.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I highly suggest the Western Digital WD TV Live Network-ready HD Media Player
    Amazon has it for $100 with free shipping: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KKFP9Y?ie=UTF8&tag=thdifa-20&linkCode=as2&camp=17...SIN=B002KKFP9Y

I really like my older non-Plus WDTV.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks so much for the replies !

Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    I highly suggest the Western Digital WD TV Live Network-ready HD Media Player
    Amazon has it for $100 with free shipping: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KKFP9Y?ie=UTF8&tag=thdifa-20&linkCode=as2&camp=17...SIN=B002KKFP9Y

I really like my older non-Plus WDTV.
    Have you modified this equipment at all by using any other type of firmware such as WDLXTV – enhanced WDTV firmware ? The main complaint that I hear about this unit is the GUI. I know this is trivial, but I really like the look of XBMC and the fact that it will auto download thumbnails for you ! Would you happen to be running your WD TV wireless or wired ? If wireless, what wireless adapter do you use and how well is it working for you ?

Thanks for your time !
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The GUI is fine.
    Honestly, you'd have to be a moron to have issues operating the GUI. So disregard whatever you heard/read.

No, I'm not modifying the unit. Ain't broke, so not fixing it.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yeah i would have to agree that the wdtv is pretty good. The qnap is unknown quantity and is very expensive ($300) but looks cool.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Personally I prefer a plain text file listing. But if you require an XBMC-like GUI the WDTV is not for you. Brad's firmware does add some movie info sheets though. But I think you need to put the info together yourself. It's not automatically downloaded.

Found this though: http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=1349.0

The PopBox is supposed to have those sorts of features but it looks like it's not yet "finished". Maybe the BoxeeBox in December (last I heard).
    Last edited by jagabo; 17th Aug 2010 at 11:02.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Get a netbook & connect it to your TV.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    If you're looking for a XBMC Media Center PC, but don't want to build one yourself, you should check out Modified Konstruct's custom media center PC. It's a an Acer Aspire Revo chassis with a XBMC install. And it's only $300. Here's the link: http://www.modifiedkonstructs.com/our-services/mk-x1
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote