VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I hope this is the right section to post in. I figure it was either here or the Conversion forum.

What I want to do is... I have a bunch of 720p and 1080p x264 .mkv music concerts and I want to be able to for eg. take a certain song in the concert and rip or edit it to a seperate smaller .mkv file. Not all the .mkv files have chapters in them so i would like to be able to specify the start and end times of what section of video it should rip from. I would prefer not to have to do any kind of re-encoding if possible.

I have no clue what would be the best program (free or paid) to be able to do this easily. I run windows 7 btw.

If anyone can comment on the best way to be able to do what I want I would be forever grateful!

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. avidemux , or mkvtoolnix (no video preview, split by timecodes)

Both are only keyframe accurate (your cuts will be to the nearest keyframe, not necessarily frame accurate) . In order for perfect frame accuracy , you need re-encoding (you have option to re-encoding in avidemux as well)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Looks like AviDemux is exactly what I was looking for! Nearest keyframe is actually just fine for me and the video preview will be nice to have as well, so I think that will do it. Thanks so much for your suggestion. I'll give it a try now and see how it goes!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ok so I downloaded AviDemux and gave it a try. Looks like a great program and seems to be able to do exactly what I needed, but with one serious flaw!!! The files that I mark with the A and B and then save have audio sync issues. The audio is not even close to matching with the video. Yet the a/v sync on the original file is perfect. Any ideas on how to get around this problem? Some of the reviews I read about AviSync said the same thing so hopefully I'm just not doing something right cause it would be a shame not to be able to use this program as it seems perfect otherwise.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use AVI Demux to find the timecodes for the in and out points, then use mkvtoolnix to do the splitting. MKV was not designed for editing, it was designed for playback.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you could elaborate a little on your post that would be great. AviDemux seems pretty straight forward. mkvtoolnix on the other hand I checked out but I have no clue on how to do splitting with that program. What program am I to run anyway? mkvmerge gui? Sorry but I'm a newb with this program so help is appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The part of mkvtoolnix you need is console driven, so you would start a command prompt (cmd) in windows, and type in the commands you want to use - in this case, mkvmerge.exe. These are well convered in the included documentation when you download the file. If AVI Demux cannot save you a version that is in sync, then use it simply to find the timecodes of the points you want to split the file, then feed these to mkvmerge as per the docs.

When you open your mkv file in AVI Demux, and user the position slider to scrub through the file, you will see the timecode of the slider position displayed at the bottom. When you get to the start of the section you want to keep, copy this timecode into a text file. Now slide to the end of the section you want to keep. Copy the timecode, and paste it into the file. If there are more sections in the same file, repeat until you are done. Use these timecodes when you run the mkvmerge command. At every timecode (or next i-frame), mkvmerge will split the mkv file. So if you have two timecodes (a start and an end point of a section), mkv will give you three mkv files as output - up to the first timecode, from the first to the second timecode, then from the second timecode to the end of the file. You can then delete the parts you don't want.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote