VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I must admit first I have never used graphedit to my knowledge so I don't know its true inner workings.

However I have skimmed enough to realize it can reroute functions of hardware devices to get it to do something it might not have been originally capable of.

Is there a way to use graphedit to get the hauppauge hd pvr to record dts audio through the fiber optic input jack? I obviously know the default operation of the hdpvr does not allow this - unless there is a hack out there that does that I don't know about.

My reason for asking is I'd like to be able to do realtime dubs of bluray movies. I can do it with my ps3 but only on dolby true hd discs. It doesn't have audio for dts master audio tracks.

Is this possible? If so how? What software or plugins would I need? Would this require some payware for a dts encoder? How much would something like that go for?

Thanks.

Edit - I also have a creative xfi gamer pci sound card that has a fiber optic input jack on it that can record digital input signals if that is important.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    bump - ok is this possible?

Or are there any h264 hardware recorders that can record dts audio?

Is this a pipe dream?

Because I have an old dual core and capturing real time to h264 would be lightyears faster than ripbot but this eliminates all dts-ma blurays (for preserving 5.1 audio that is since it seems to allow stereo recording from dtsma but not 5.1 recording). (since you can only capture dolby digital 5.1 over fiber optic to the pvr)
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The chip on the Colossus supports a huge variety of possible audio inputs it can theoretically record and I think the HD PVR devices use the same chip. I don't remember if DTS was on that list or not. I can't do crap in Graphedit, but MAYBE somebody like jagabo can comment on this. I can tell you that the Colossus and HD PVR devices are capable of recording in a lot more formats than they currently do, but I don't know that Graphedit can fix this. I think you would need different driver software to do this but I'm speculating so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I can tell you with the current Hauppauge drivers that the Colossus/HD PVR devices can record AC3 only if BOTH of these things are true:
    1) Optical audio is the audio input.
    2) The source audio is 5.1 AC3.

You're probably not getting replies because the whole idea of real time recording of BD/DVD to avoid ripping/re-encoding is regarded as what clueless newbies do and our veteran members may be staying out of this because they can't join in without making negative remarks about this idea.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Even if the chip in the HD PVR can capture DTS/MA it's likely the firmware running in the device won't since WD (presumably) didn't pay for a DTS/MA license.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    You're probably not getting replies because the whole idea of real time recording of BD/DVD to avoid ripping/re-encoding is regarded as what clueless newbies do and our veteran members may be staying out of this because they can't join in without making negative remarks about this idea.
    I can understand that. Its more laziness than anything. I am still not ready to upgrade to a faster computer which would reduce encoding time, hence the desire for realtime encoding.

I do understand also that a direct encode from a bd rip would be the best possible choice to get a top notch output but that requires a lot of time for a full length movie. Of course I can leave it on overnight or longer so its not that big of deal.

And I'm still torn on the waste of space doing a straight bd rip and plopping 30-50gbs on a harddrive even with more than one 2tb harddrive at my disposal.

It's a vicious circle, I want top quality with no time needed to process it at a bargain rate and an adequate file size.

I know you just can't get it without spending some more money.

Perhaps though I should just go back to my original pursuit and invest in more 2tb drives and do straight rips. I can play those with my wdtv gen 1 and ouya. That might ultimately be my best bet, no encoding just straight ripping, though I'll be using up quite a bit of drive space in this endeavor.

Originally Posted by jagabo
    Even if the chip in the HD PVR can capture DTS/MA it's likely the firmware running in the device won't since WD (presumably) didn't pay for a DTS/MA license.
    That is too bad. It would be great if you could.

And actually I wouldn't even need it to be in sd dts (aka the "core"). If it could do a realtime encode from dts to ac3 at say 640kpbs I'd be thrilled with that. Alas that too is probably a superficial pipe dream.

So I think I'll draw up a schedule and start doing full rips and go back to that route.
    Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Aren't there Blu-ray players that can convert from DTS to AC3, or did I just imagine that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    Aren't there Blu-ray players that can convert from DTS to AC3, or did I just imagine that?
    This could be a possibility for me.

I tested my ps3 but it didn't preserve the 5.1 (the main reason for doing this).

I selected dolby digital 5.1 and deselected dts 5.1 over fiber optic and I only got stereo over the dolby digital choice (using The Dark Knight Rises as a test disc which has dts-ma).

So it does "convert to ac3" but only stereo.

If there are players that do in fact output a 5.1 stream as ac3 in realtime please let me know. It might be worth my time and money to seek that out. If it had component output all the better but I could still use a hdmi-component adapter if it doesn't.
    Quote Quote