VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey, simply put,

I want to play music (same song) from two different computers and have it sync'd. How can I do this?

I have a media center pc hooked up to my 5.1 home theater system and a desktop in another room with a nice set of logitech speakers. My computers have data drives that are mirrored, thus each has the same exact music library. I currently use iTunes on each to play the music. Is there any way to press play on one pc and have both output (or play) the same song at the same time (no echo)? Seems like i remember Winamp 2.x had this feature, but is there any more modern software that does this?

Any extra features, like volume control on both computers would be welcome!

Thanks for any help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Even if the play at exactly the same time, unless you are in the exact centre between them there will be an echo simple because the sound will reach the listener at different times. This is why surround systems have delays built in. If the sound came out of the front and rear speakers at the same time, it would sound odd. Same with two computers.

You could try streaming from one PC using VLC, and pick up the stream on the other. You can have the first machine play as it streams, and the second PC will get the same music at the same time, give or take a few milliseconds.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sounds like a good idea, maybe the only viable solution.

Thanks, guns1inger!

any one else have any ideas on this?
    Quote Quote