VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by pirej View Post
    p.s. Jagabo, what's the highest "noise profile quality" you have managed to achieve in NeatVideo ???
    I have max 79%, using that profile its doing good job.
    To tell the truth, I hardly ever do any noise reduction. When I do use Neat Video I haven't really paid attention to that value. I just find a suitable block of noise and train the program.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by pirej View Post
    I tried VideoFred's script for restoring 8mm film, and.. i kind of like it

[Attachment 2801 - Click to enlarge]

I did color corection as jagabo's example
    Code:
    ColorYUV(gain_y=60, gamma_y=-50, off_y=-55, cont_u=400, cont_v=400, autowhite=true)
    Tweak(hue=-30)
    ChromaShift(c=-4) #shift colors left by 4 pixels
    And i added colormill tweaks..

p.s. Jagabo, what's the highest "noise profile quality" you have managed to achieve in NeatVideo ???
    I have max 79%, using that profile its doing good job.
    I like this one very much
    Could you precise what's VideoFred's script? And also your exact settings in colormill (please post the .vcf content).

I had a quick try with Jagabo's script and I noticed two things:
    - the "Weavy line" effect on MJ's left face, as mentioned by poisondeathray
    Click image for larger version

Name:	distortion.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	2803
    - there are double exposures when there is motion. Jagabo you guess he used an old deinterlacer that blended motion areas. Which one for example?

Name:	ghost.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	376.9 KB
ID:	2804

Do we have to choose between the "weavy lines" and this "double effect" or is there a way to get rid of both?
    Quote Quote  
  3. You might use virtualdub's internal deinterlace filter set on "blend" . That gives the almost exact double images in kopmjj's version that jagabo noted earlier. In avisynth , there is one called smoothdeinterlace, and there is a blend mode.

It's odd, because usually you strive to keep details, not blend and blur them away. I never use a blend deinterlacer if I can help it - but maybe it's better for this type of source?

The thing that bugs me the most about this is the wavy motion or frame warping. It's the stillness and calmness of kopmjj's version that appeals to me - mathmax you said the background was very calm earlier - that's what I mean. Somehow his version has all straighter lines, and less wavy line motion, and it's not as simple as antialiasing. You can't really see it on a single screenshot, it has to be in motion. I think that 1st screenshot above is a different artifact, like motion prediction error from mvtools & tgmc, due to the jitter artifact (if you look at mj's sideburn , it's displaced horizontally, but in kopmjj's version, it's magically inline and straight; but it's not "perfect" because his forehead still has a "pit" from the remenants of deinterlacing)
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 25th Jul 2010 at 21:43.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mathmax View Post
    I like this one very much
    Could you precise what's VideoFred's script? And also your exact settings in colormill (please post the .vcf content).
    Its a script for restoring old 8mm films, Videofred said that this script is not for vhs, or any other low quality video, but still.. i like what it does if you tweak the settings properly.. according to the source video.
    You can denoise/sharpen much more if you like, but it depends of what you want as an result.
    Unfortunately, i didn't save the colormill settings
    test3.xvid
    Last edited by pirej; 26th Jul 2010 at 06:07.
    Quote Quote  
  5. [QUOTE=pirej;2004873]
    Thank you. Could you please try to find them again? I really love your colors
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by pirej View Post

test3.xvid

The colors are awesome, is there any way, that you might be able to re-create the video, and save the settings for it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I tried to get the same settings, if it's not the same.. than it's really close.
    Code:
    VirtualDub.audio.SetSource(1);
    VirtualDub.audio.SetMode(0);
    VirtualDub.audio.SetInterleave(1,500,1,0,0);
    VirtualDub.audio.SetClipMode(1,1);
    VirtualDub.audio.SetConversion(0,0,0,0,0);
    VirtualDub.audio.SetVolume();
    VirtualDub.audio.SetCompression();
    VirtualDub.audio.EnableFilterGraph(0);
    VirtualDub.video.SetInputFormat(0);
    VirtualDub.video.SetOutputFormat(7);
    VirtualDub.video.SetMode(3);
    VirtualDub.video.SetSmartRendering(0);
    VirtualDub.video.SetPreserveEmptyFrames(0);
    VirtualDub.video.SetFrameRate2(0,0,1);
    VirtualDub.video.SetIVTC(0, 0, 0, 0);
    VirtualDub.video.SetCompression(0x67706a6d,0,10000,0);
    VirtualDub.video.SetCompData(60,"EwAAAAUAAAAGAAAAAQAAAAAAAADwAAAAAAAAAAEAAAABAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA");
    VirtualDub.video.filters.Clear();
    VirtualDub.video.filters.Add("Color Mill(2.1)");
    VirtualDub.video.filters.instance[0].Config(25700, 33892, 22372, 25700, 25700, 23125, 25700, 27236, 25700, 25692, 25700, 25700, 25700, 1124, 7);
    VirtualDub.audio.filters.Clear();
    But i think it would be better for you to try it you're self, and do a little playing with the setings.

p.s. i did deinterlace first using
    Code:
    interp=nnedi2(field=1)
    yadifmod(order=1, field=-1, mode=0, edeint=interp)
    Quote Quote  
  8. I thought you wanted colors that matched the high res image in the first post.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I thought you wanted colors that matched the high res image in the first post.
    I did, how come pirej script doesn't come close the video he posted? :/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Jagabo, what high res image, the 1-st one i posted?? I dont understand.. i allready posted the colormill settings for that image.

MrJacobAngle, if you use ONLY the colormill settings, then you are doing it wrong.
    I wrote a few post's earlyer about what i did...
    Originally Posted by pirej View Post
    I tried VideoFred's script for restoring 8mm film, and.. i kind of like it

I did color corection as jagabo's example
    Code:
    ColorYUV(gain_y=60, gamma_y=-50, off_y=-55, cont_u=400, cont_v=400, autowhite=true)
    Tweak(hue=-30)
    ChromaShift(c=-4) #shift colors left by 4 pixels
    And i added colormill tweaks..
    So.. FIRST i deinterlaced(like i said in the previous post), then added autowhite=true to jagabo's script, then filtered stabilisation/denoising/sharpening using Videofred's script, and THEN i did some color tweaking with colormill.
    Maybe i didn't made me self clear, forgive me.
    Quote Quote  
  11. then filtered stabilisation/denoising/sharpening using Videofred's script, and THEN i did some color tweaking with colormill.
    Maybe i didn't made me self clear, forgive me.
    That was crystal clear Thank you for trying to get the same settings in colormill. I'll check them in a minute
    I noticed that your video is also very calm and sharp at the same time.. thanks to Videofred's script I guess Could you also send the settings of this script here?
    Just one thing to fix. When there is motion, a black strip quickly appears at the right hand side of the video. How does this stabilization tool works?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here it's the script mathmax, and THEN... (not just)colormill
    About the black strip.. there must be high motion in that frame/two, so maybe some more croping it's neaded so the stripes wont show.
    It "just unshakes" the frames.. and alignes them where they "should be", so the stripes are unavoidable, then you must crop out some of the picture so they dont show, and the resize.
    Last edited by pirej; 26th Jul 2010 at 18:10. Reason: for the stabilizing
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by pirej View Post
    Jagabo, what high res image, the 1-st one i posted?? I dont understand.. i allready posted the colormill settings for that image.
    Sorry, I was responding to MrJacobAngel. The high res image in his first post had a bluish cast.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by pirej View Post
    Here it's the script mathmax, and THEN... (not just)colormill
    Thank you. I get an error on these functions MVAnalyseMulti(), MVDegrainMulti(). There are unknown. I know they are part of mvtool, but it seems they have been replaced by MAnalyse() and MDegrain2() in the current version... and the parameters of those functions don't match. Could you upload your mvtool.dll. I guess it'll work with it since it worked on your side

Originally Posted by pirej View Post
    About the black strip.. there must be high motion in that frame/two, so maybe some more croping it's neaded so the stripes wont show.
    It "just unshakes" the frames.. and alignes them where they "should be", so the stripes are unavoidable, then you must crop out some of the picture so they dont show, and the resize.
    unavoidable? why not add black strips to the left and to the right, apply the script and then crop the black strips according to the motion? Shouldn't be difficult and it would keep the whole video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You are welcome, download the original script, its in a zip file, and it contains all the needed dll's, extract them in a folder and put/use the script from that folder, and you wont get any error's.
    I'm not avisynth expert, but i don't think that adding black stripes before stabilizing and then croping them out would do any good, maybe you could try it you're self and give me an example..?
    As i can see/understand the DepanStablize help-info, you can use mirroring, some previous/next frame(s) to fill empty borders (instead of black), or adaptive zoom...etc.
    You can add black borders AFTER stabilizing, so that they are constantly shown and not moving left/right, up/down.
    Last edited by pirej; 27th Jul 2010 at 03:48.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Thank you very much. Your script works for me and the colors are really great. Maybe just a little bit saturated...

Concerning DepanStablize, does it only fix global motion or also the image distortion? I mean, your video seems very calm just like if the image distortion is fixed in time. I guess that poisondeathray is speaking about this when saying "less wavy line motion". So I suppose DepanStablize shifts the lines one by one and not only the whole frames. A black strip appears when a frame is shifted because of global motion... but it seems more like a bug. Am I right? In that case it would make sens to fix these black strips. I'm just worried that fixing it just means cancel the action of DepanStablize...

On the other hand, there are still these bad line on MJ's nose which are not there if I use a blend deinterlace filter.. And I still wonder if I can get rid of this without the double exposures effect of the blended mode.

Name:	x00000.jpeg
Views:	206
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	2857

One more question: Jagabo advised to first fix the colors and then apply smoothing, denoising, etc. filters. Is this order really important?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well you can tweak the settings so they fit you're taste, saturation is easy to fix.
    DepanStablize stabilizes the global motion, so it shifts the whole frame, not a part/pixel/line of it, that's why the "black stripes" are unavoidable.
    The "calming" effect comes from MVDegrainMulti, it averages multiple frames.
    Those "bad line on MJ's nose" are not only on his nose, they are everywhere, allover the frames, and that's something you need TBC for fixing it.
    Maybe with blending they are less visible, but then.. the whole picture is "blured" and less visible, so that's you're choice.
    Try (instead of blending)increasing the denoising_strenght/frames to something like 2000/7, and increase the sharpening a little bit, do some experiments.
    I guess jagabo is right about the order, but i'm not shore.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by pirej View Post
    DepanStablize stabilizes the global motion, so it shifts the whole frame, not a part/pixel/line of it, that's why the "black stripes" are unavoidable.
    I like DepanStablizes, the only thing that's wrong with it, is when there's a "quick movement" the black stripes appear...

Is this a problem that can be fixed??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can lower the settings for dxmax/dymax, or use adaptive zoom, or crop more... or don't deshake

Read the info for depan tools
    Quote Quote  
  20. Time base jitter varies with every scanline and field. Blending fields averages the pixels between the two fields. So the jitter is reduced. But it also blurs the entire image and looks like double exposures when motions are large. Using a temporal denoising filter large enough to smooth out that jitter on MJ's nose will result in huge artifacts over the rest of the frame.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Thank you for your answers

It seems that I have to fix the time base errors first. Already worked on this some months ago... but it's not so easy...

When deinterlacing with blend mode, is it possible to adjust the strength of blending? The best would be to adjust the blend according to the motion: the more you have motion, the less you blend. I don't know if it makes sens though...

jagabo, could you confirm that fixing the colors first (before denoising) is important?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by mathmax View Post
    When deinterlacing with blend mode, is it possible to adjust the strength of blending?
    You can't in VirtualDub but you can in AviSynth using Blur(0, 1.0). Vary the last argument to get more or less blending.

The best would be to adjust the blend according to the motion: the more you have motion, the less you blend. I don't know if it makes sens though...
    The problem is determining what's motion and what's jitter. And you still have jitter in the motion areas -- although maybe it would be less noticeable. You'd probably have to write your own filter.

could you confirm that fixing the colors first (before denoising) is important?
    I usually do the levels and color adjustments first so the other filters have "more" to work with. For example, with a low contrast video a temporal filter may blend frames too much. Adjusting the contrast before the temporal filter will prevent that. Or consider a blur filter on a image that only has four levels, 0, 1, 2, 3. Bluring that will leave you with those four levels (with integers there's nothing between those four values) then contrast expansion later will still give you 4 levels, say 0, 85, 170, 255. But if you perform the contrast expansion first there is room between them for intermediate values.

But you may find in some circumstances it works better if you do the levels/color adjustments after other filtering. Or even a little before and a little after.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You can't in VirtualDub but you can in AviSynth using Blur(0, 1.0). Vary the last argument to get more or less blending.
    mmh... deinterlace in blend mode and Blur() don't seem to have the same effect. The first allow to get rid of the weavy lines, but not the second.

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The problem is determining what's motion and what's jitter. And you still have jitter in the motion areas -- although maybe it would be less noticeable. You'd probably have to write your own filter.
    ok.. are there tools, functions, plugins to detect motions?

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I usually do the levels and color adjustments first so the other filters have "more" to work with. For example, with a low contrast video a temporal filter may blend frames too much. Adjusting the contrast before the temporal filter will prevent that. Or consider a blur filter on a image that only has four levels, 0, 1, 2, 3. Bluring that will leave you with those four levels (with integers there's nothing between those four values) then contrast expansion later will still give you 4 levels, say 0, 85, 170, 255. But if you perform the contrast expansion first there is room between them for intermediate values.

But you may find in some circumstances it works better if you do the levels/color adjustments after other filtering. Or even a little before and a little after.
    Thank you for the explanation. In which circumstances can it be better to adjust the levels/color after filtering?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok.. are there tools, functions, plugins to detect motions?
    Maybe something from MVtools2.. i guess.
    Quote Quote  
  25. mathmax... you're stealing my thread!! haha
    But I'm actually also interrested in your questions and also waiting for the answers.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Come on people!
    I really need your help!
    Quote Quote  
  27. I guess you'll have to think for yourself.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Jagabo, just a question:
    You proposed me to adjust the strength of blending by changing the second parameter of Blur().
    But I cannot get rid of the weavy lines on the picture I posted just above by using the Blur() function, which is possible using deinterlacing in blend mode.
    So deinterlace in blend mode and Blur() don't seem to have the same effect...
    Quote Quote  
  29. They usually work about the same for me. Can you provide a short clip with the frame from post #76 above?
    Quote Quote  
  30. sure
    here the sample (look at frame 10, 11):
    http://www.mediafire.com/?qlnixksdylc4ofs
    Quote Quote