VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!
    I have recently learned of virtual dub mod and would like to learn how to use it for all my video and audio editing.My question to you is , Is there any guide on how to use virtual dub mod that will teach me to use it in simple terms.

thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    There's a whole list of guides at the bottom of the VDM toolpage. Also look in 'HOW TO' and VD(M) guides are referenced there. Be aware that VDM is a rather old version of VD. There is also AVIDemux that works similar to VD.

And welcome o our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, s_joy09. VirtualDubMod is now 4 major and dozens of minor revisions behind the official VirtualDub. Also, VirtualDub's plugin capability means that most/all the special formats that we used to need the Mod version for are now probably better handled by the original as well.

Do you have specific uses/file types that you'll primarily be working with?

Best,

Calidore
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Firstly I'd want to thank you for the info, Yes the file type I need to work on is an .avi file of which the video needs to be croped a bit and the original audio needs to be changed and re-enhanced and re-placed with the video too. any suggestion on how to do that with Virtual Dub (now that you have mentioned of it).

Thanks again,Bye.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cropping video is easy: With the .avi loaded, click on Video | Filters, then click the Add button and choose "null transform" from the list. Then click the Cropping button and set the X and Y borders where you want them.

For the audio, it depends what exactly you mean by "changed and re-enhanced." You'll have to be more specific there. VirtualDub has a number of built-in audio filters, and if necessary, it's also a snap to export the audio to a separate file and re-import it after running Audacity or some such on it.

Best,

Calidore
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The exact nature of what I need to do with the Audio will be like this.
    Listening to the audio of the video makes one feel like as if the sounds are coming through a tunnel,so the thing I think I need to do is,
    First, extract the audio,and then run it through some Audio editing software so that I could decrease the treble and increase the Bass (I need some thing that will let me work with the equalizer) and then re-join it with the video again.
    Can this be done? if yes How?

Thanks,bye& T.C
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes it can be done.
    You open the video virtualdub, and click file/save wav, then edit that wav file with Audacity(i think it has equalizer and stuff.. ), save it as wav or mp3 or whatever you need it to bee.
    Open the video again with virtualdub, and go to audio/audio from other file(selc the edited audio file), and then .. save avi!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pirej's advice was accurate, but since you're new to VirtualDub, I'm going to itemize the steps and add a couple things (and change one).

After loading the video into Virtualdub:

1) Click File | File information and note the audio track format (MP3, AC3, etc.)

2) Instead of File | Save WAV, use File | Export | Raw audio. I suggest this because the first option does not convert the audio to an uncompressed WAV file, but simply saves the audio track as is with a WAV extension and file type, which can confuse both audio software and novice-type people. With the Export option, you'll still have to add the correct extension (hence step 1), but the audio track will be saved properly.

3) Have your way with the audio file.

4) Prepare the video for saving (set the cropping borders, pick a codec, etc.)

5) Click Audio | Audio from other file and load the new audio track.

6) Assuming you saved a compressed final version from the audio software you used, click Audio | Direct Stream Copy to avoid compressing it a second time.

7) File | Save as AVI

8) Watch and listen to make sure everything's right.

Don't let the number of steps bother you--it's pretty straightforward, and VirtualDub is very easy to use. Good luck!

Best,

Calidore
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Or you can just open the avi in audacity and do what you want with the audio and then > File Export > Save as > yourfile.mp3

Open video with Virtualdub > choose Audio > Audio from other file > yourfile.mp3 > Audio > Direct Stream Copy > Video > Direct Stream Copy > Save As AVI > yourfile.AVI
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post
    Or you can just open the avi in audacity
    To do that you need to use the "beta" version of Audacity, 1.3.x, and follow the instructions it gives to install ffmpeg for input and output.

With that you can open and save almost any audio format file.

See the Audacity wiki at http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=Audacity_Wiki_Home_Page for tips on audio filtering.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I guess you're right. I installed 1.2.6 and it said it would take about 20 minutes to open the same file that both 1.3 BETA and Goldwave opens in about five seconds.

No reason not to have 1.3 BETA with the plugins anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks a lot Guy's, you all have provided me with a lot of knowledge regarding Virtual Dub & Audicity. All that is left now for me is to apply them in my project.Can I get back to you all if any thing goes wrong? or Let you know how it turns out!
    Thanks again,Bye&T.C.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!
    Guy's I am in trouble, according to all of your suggestions I have downloaded all these programs:

01.VirtualDub1.9.9_2
    02.VirtualDub Batcher_v12
    03.VirtualDub Batcher 2
    04.VirtualDub-DVR-1.8.6
    05.VirtualDub-MPEG2
    06.Virtualdub Plugin pack
    07.AC3ACM
    08.FLV_Input_Driver
    09.DubMan-0.83
    10.Mp4inputdriver
    11.VDBatch-v1_0_2
    But I don't know how to properly install them, Please shed some light, I am feeling undone .

Thanks & T.C
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All you need is...

Virtualdub 1.9.9

you don't install it, you unzip it where-ever you want. I have an unzipped folder that I keep all my programs that don't install.

Example: C:\unzipped\VirtualDub-1.9.9

Input Plugins...

MPEG2 (by fcchandler)

WMV (by fcchandler)

AC3 (by fcchandler)

QuickTime (by tateu)

Flash Video (by Moitah)

DirectShow (by phaeron)

Put the quicktime.ini in the Virtualdub folder and all the .vdplugin files in the Virtualdub Plugins folder.

How to use the input plugin system to open some file formats that Virtualdub doesn't handle natively - WMV, M2TS/MTS, MP4 and Matroska (and potentially many other types) via DirectShow

Requirements:

DirectShow input driver (place this in .\VirtualDub\plugins\)
    Haali Media Splitter (for MP4, M2TS/MTS and Matroska)
    ffdshow-tryouts (for MP4, M2TS/MTS and Matroska)

All you have to do is simply open the file in VirtualDub like you normally would. In case your file doesn't show up, select 'All files (*.*)' from the file type list and after selecting your file, select 'DirectShow input driver' from the file types list.

When installing ffdshow, only configure VFW encoders...

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I still didn't understand the installation part.All I got is that, VD is used by unpacking it,but what about the plugins and all the rest of the stuff's I have downloaded (please see my previous post on this page). Do I copy them or unpack them and how do I open VD to work in it.

Could someone PLEASE give me a step by step instruction on Installation, PLUGINGS, and ffdshow so that I could use the program.

Please Help! this Newbie.

thanks!
    Last edited by s_joy09; 24th Jul 2010 at 12:54.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My first reaction is, where did the "_2" in your "VirtualDub1.9.9_2" come from? If you downloaded that anywhere but Virtualdub's homepage (virtualdub.org), delete it and redownload it from there. If you changed the name yourself for some reason, never mind.

Since you're new to this, let's forget about the plugins for now. (My suggestion about homepages applies to those also. Videohelp's Virtualdub page has "official" links to many plugins, and there's no need to get them from anywhere else.) If you end up needing a plugin to load a file, Virtualdub will tell you, and we can deal with it then.

So, just unzip Virtualdub wherever you want it, run it, and load your video. If the video doesn't load for some reason, tell us exactly what Vdub said.

Also, I just realized that we don't know anything about your system. What kind of computer and operating system are you working with?

Best,

Calidore
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    but what about the plugins and all the rest of the stuff's I have downloaded (please see my previous post on this page).
    You don't need any of the other stuff.

Download and install 7zip to unpack your files
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/sevenzip/files/7-Zip/4.65/7z465.exe/download

Download Virtualdub to My Downloads or Unzipped folder (you'll need to create these folders in C:\)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualdub/

Unpack Virtualdub to Unzipped folder using 7zip (right click on VirtualDub-1.9.9.zip and select 7zip > Extract Files)

Download the plugins to C:\Virtualdub 1.9.9\Plugins and use 7zip to extract the files (you can delete all the zip files when done)

Move the quicktime.ini file to C:\Virtualdub 1.9.9

Go to C:\Virtualdub 1.9.9 > right click on VirtualDub.exe and choose "Send to Desktop (create shortcut).

Go to desktop and rename shortcut to Virtualdub 1.9.9

You're all set.

I would download the plugins from the links that I posted earlier. They are from the Virtualdub forums and are updated plugins. The ones in the plugin pack on this site are two to three years old.

Do not install the mp4 plugin. It is broken and abandoned.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why not just name the folder C:\VirtualDub, without the version number, instead? That way, when a new version of VirtualDub is released, you can update it without worrying about possibly wanting to rename the folder. :P
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Because the unzipped folder is not just for Virtualdub but all programs that don't have an installer. If you named the folder Virtualdub then every time you overwrote the folder then you would have to reinstall all the plugins.

I usually use Winzip which automatically sends these programs to the unzipped folder that it created.

Some people, including myself like to keep multiple versions on their PC. I have Virtualdub 1.9.9, a few different test versions and VirtualdubMod. It's easier for me just to copy the plugins folder to each version that I unzip. I like to know which versions I have. I can always delete the versions I don't need anymore.

I don't like to clog up my C:\ folder with all my programs. If I want to back up all my unzipped programs, all I have to do is copy the unzipped folder. Same goes with my downloads folder. I keep a shortcut to My Downloads in my Quick Launch bar so I can get to it easily while I'm downloading files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I do much the same, starting with folders for 32-bit and 64-bit VDub, as well as VDubMod. What I do, though, whenever a new version is released, is just unzip the archives to folders on my desktop (right-click drag the archive to the Desktop, then use 7-Zip > Extract to (foldername)). Then all I have to do is copy the updated files/folders to my VirtualDub folders. No plugin overwriting/erasing.

For Vista, I've been installing all my video-related programs to subfolders of a directory off C:\, rather than let the programs with installers install to Program Files. Saves some sanity, that way.

It's the older systems where I kept more versions of VirtualDub around. That reminds me... I probably should make sure the 'main' VD is up-to-date on all of them...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well Guy's after all your effort this is what I did. I am going to put it down accordingly,guy's please, let me know if I had done it properly or not and where it had gone wrong.

01. Created a folder and extracted the VirtualDub1.9.9 in it.ex-c:\VirtualDud.
    02. After extracting the VirtualDub Plugin pack in another folder,I have copied everything from the Plugins32 folder to the
    Plugins folder of the extracted VirtualDub. ex- c:\VirtualDub\plugins.
    03. Then I cut out the Quicktime.ini from c:\VirtualDub\plugins. and pasted it in the c:\VirtualDub. folder.
    04. Extracted the AC3ACM and from it opened x86 folder and installed it by right clicking>install.

Couldn't do any thing with:FLV_Input_Driver,VirtualDub-MPEG2 and the others.

Awating your reply.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well Guy's after all your effort this is what I did. I am going to put it down accordingly,guy's please, let me know if I had done it properly or not and where it had gone wrong.

02. After extracting the VirtualDub Plugin pack in another folder,I have copied everything from the Plugins32 folder to the
    03. Then I cut out the Quicktime.ini from c:\VirtualDub\plugins.That I had pasted earlier in 02 and re-pasted it in the
    c:\VirtualDub folder.
    04. Extracted the AC3ACM and from it opened x86 folder and installed it by right clicking>install.

Couldn't do any thing with:FLV_Input_Driver,VirtualDub-MPEG2, others

Awating your reply.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    I do much the same, starting with folders for 32-bit and 64-bit VDub, as well as VDubMod. What I do, though, whenever a new version is released, is just unzip the archives to folders on my desktop (right-click drag the archive to the Desktop, then use 7-Zip > Extract to (foldername)). Then all I have to do is copy the updated files/folders to my VirtualDub folders. No plugin overwriting/erasing.

For Vista, I've been installing all my video-related programs to subfolders of a directory off C:\, rather than let the programs with installers install to Program Files. Saves some sanity, that way.

It's the older systems where I kept more versions of VirtualDub around. That reminds me... I probably should make sure the 'main' VD is up-to-date on all of them...
    I do the same thing with programs I download except that I download most stuff to My Downloads folder, use 7zip to unzip and then drag to the Unzipped folder. The OP didn't seem too computer literate so I thought it would be easier to just download to the unzipped folder and unzip it there.

I didn't know you could just unzip files with installers. I thought they had to be installed to work properly. I never backup my Programs folder because a lot of the programs don't work without being reinstalled.

There is a Virtualdub 1.9.X-Test27 on the Virtualdub forum...

http://forums.virtualdub.org/index.php?act=ST&f=15&t=17508&

...that allows you to use an external encoder to save to different file types using ffdshow, X264, NeroAacEnc, Lame, MP4Box and MKVmerge.
    Last edited by DarrellS; 25th Jul 2010 at 16:47.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by s_joy09 View Post

03. Then I cut out the Quicktime.ini from c:\VirtualDub\plugins.That I had pasted earlier in 02 and re-pasted it in the
    c:\VirtualDub folder.

Couldn't do any thing with:FLV_Input_Driver,VirtualDub-MPEG2, others

Awating your reply.
    You don't need Virtualdub-MPEG2 or the other programs from the Virtualdub Tools page. All you need is Virtualdub and the input plugins.

If you installed the plugins pack then the FLVinput Driver should already be there. I would've installed the updated drivers. Make sure you delete the MP4 plugin or it will conflict with the QT plugin. You'll also need the updated Directshow Input Driver since the old version is buggy...

http://forums.virtualdub.org/index.php?act=ST&f=7&t=15093

Haali Media Splitter

http://haali.su/mkv/

ffdshow (to open files that Virtualdub does not support)

http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/

If you're installing 32bit codecs in 64bit Windows 7 then you can't just right click the .ini and install. You have to install to the SysWOW folder.

Installing the 32bit version codec on Windows 64

Extract all the files to a folder

Open up a command prompt (start > run > cmd > Ctrl+Shift+Enter)

Change directories to sysWOW64 ("cd C:\windows\syswow64")

Type the following (replace example_path with the actual path to the extracted files), then hit enter:
    rundll32.exe setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 0 c:\example_path\AC3ACM.inf

This method can be used to install 32bit codecs that install via a .inf file.
    Last edited by DarrellS; 25th Jul 2010 at 16:44.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes I have downloaded the Haali media spliter, ffd show beta7 and the Direct show input driver 0.8.

1. Haali media spliter setup options: Here it wants to Disable MPC internal Matroska spliter , and Gabest's Matroska spliter.
    WHAT should I do?

2. ffd show wants to be Installed in the MPC folder. WHAT should I do?

DarrellS, could you please tell me what to do with them? for you information I am using Vista ultimate x86. I am telling you this because after unpacking the DirectShow Input driver, I saw that there was a X64 folder, so I didn't copy those to my VirtualDub'c Plugins folder.

Sorry to be bothering but You've all been just great, thanks for the support.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For question #1, yes let it disable splitters in MPC. You want Haali doing the splitting.
    MPC uses it's own codecs and filters and most are turned on by default. You may have to turn certain ones off to get correct playback.
    I wouldn't worry about it right now.

I've never seen ffdshow try to install in MPC folder. It should install in it's own folder.

C:\Program Files\ffdshow

During installation, don't let it configure any codecs. Configure the VFW encoder after installation using the jpeg I posted above to configure the codecs (if you don't have an H264 decoder then you'll want to set H264 to Libavcodec also).

You need to install all the Virtualdub plugins in the Virtualdub plugins folder. The Directshow Input Driver is for Virtualdub and goes in the plugins folder.

I looked at your computer details and it said you were using Windows 7 so I assumed you were using a 64bit OS. Disreguard the codec instructions I posted earlier.

You will probably want to install quicktime alternative also to help open MOV and MP4 in Virtualdub.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DarrellS, did everything as you have told me to. Ran VirtualDub and tried to load some videos too, but except for mpeg1 and mpeg2 , I was not able to get any work.

For files with Xvid.avi I get this massage-----
    Could not locate decompressor for format 'XVID'(unknown)
    VirtualDub requires a Video For Window (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video.Direct Show codecs such as those used by Windows Media player are not suitable.

For FLV ----Virtual Dub error massage states.
    Unable to locate a video codec to decompress the video format 'FLV1' (unknown).

I thought with ffd show we were supposed to get over this problem,or is it because of some other reason.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just as a side note - ffdshow beta 7 is slightly outdated. It's based on rev3154, I believe, from December of last year. The latest build of ffdshow is rev3507 (2010-07-07), more or less. If you'd rather have the more recent version, just visit VideoHelp's Tools page for ffdshow (which should be auto-linked in this post, already), and click on "Download (direct link)."

You'll need to enable ffdshow's VFW decoders for Xvid and FLV1, among others. (I may not get this entirely right, as I'm sitting at a computer that doesn't have ffdshow installed, at the moment.) Go to your Start menu, find the ffdshow folder, and click on VFW decoder configuration. Make sure 'Codecs' is highlighted in the pane on the left-hand side of the configuration window. In the list on the right, look for 'XVid' and 'FLV1', and set their decoder dropdowns to something other than 'disabled.' Both should probably use 'libavcodec,' I think.

DarrellS: It depends upon the installer and the program inside, really. What I meant, though, is that I tell the installers (for the video software) to install to a different location outside the Program Files directories, when I'm running them. Originally, when I installed AutoGK under Vista (our original Vista tower), I went ahead and let it install to Program Files. Ended up having to type my admin password every time I wanted to use it.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You need to install the XviD codec. I would also install DivX, DivX 3.11, X264VFW and WMP9VCM

You need to configure ffdshow to open all the files that Virtualdub will not open natively. That's why I asked you to look at the jpeg I posted. It has...

Other MPEG4
    FVFW,FFDS
    H.263
    FLV1
    Theora
    VP3
    VP5
    VP6
    VP6F
    VC-1
    SVQ1
    SVQ3
    QTRPZA
    FFV1

set to open with Libavcodec

WMV1/7
    WMV2/8
    WMV3/9

to open with WMV9

You can either get to the VFW configure from Start > Programs > ffdshow > VFW Configuration or

Virtualdub > Video > Compression > ffdshow Video Codec > Configure.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks DarrellS , you've been great My VirtualDub is working properly now.
    The reason for me to have VirtualDub was to remove the Blockyness of a FLV video file

Can you help me with the video, Teach me How I can remove the Blockyness from it.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote