VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. When i play a video, be it a rip from VHS, digital tv or even a bought dvd on my PC, the video is pixelated (flyscreen like) and fuzzy. If i play the same video on another computer or a tv or projector, it crystal clear.

Any ideas what may be causing this.

I have tried different graphic card (a little bit better after this)
    different media players (WMP, Nero 8 player, VLC player, Power DVD 10, Sony Vegas (shows the worst) and TMPGEnc Xpress (pretty bad)
    Re-installed windows before

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you watching the video blown up, or at 100% (native) resolution - i.e. 720 x 576
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. 100% or even preview screen. WMP says it 200% to fit on screen???
    Quote Quote  
  4. i was told on an MJ forum to download the K-Lite codec pack?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Personally, I would not download and install any codec pack. You don't need one. A codec pack is a lazy answer that is at best going to do nothing to help you, and at worst install a large number of codecs that you don't need, and whose settings you don't understand.

I have never found a software player that gives an image as clear as a TV on a computer monitor. Ever. That includes everything from Total Media Theatre (very good) through PowerDVD (different incarnations) and down through various free options like KM Player and VLC. For the most part the quality is the same, as the underlying playback engines are either the same or very similar.

The first thing I would be checking, from your description of the video, is that you aren't running in 16bit mode. Check both your graphics card settings, and your player.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. can u use vnc viewer to check my settings? i have looked around with no joy
    Quote Quote  
  7. I give up. This is insain. I cant find what is causing this. My laptop plays it better then my Geforce 9800 and PC
    Quote Quote  
  8. Is your monitor OK?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Reinstall video driver? Check the settings, etc, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  10. done all that. i have 2 lg flatron w1942t and both have same problem
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is your monitor set to its default resolution ? (1440x900)
    Quote Quote  
  12. yeap. I tried my puter on a CRT monitor today... Qualty was FREAKIN amazing....

I have 3 LG Flatron W1942Ts

i changed color quality from 32bit to 16bit. MASSIVE improvment. Shouldnt it be other way around
    Quote Quote  
  13. yeap. I tried my puter on a CRT monitor today... Qualty was FREAKIN amazing....

I have 3 LG Flatron W1942Ts

i changed color quality from 32bit to 16bit. MASSIVE improvment. Shouldnt it be other way around
    Quote Quote  
  14. NOOOooooo

it looks great on VLC and WMP in 16 bit color but even worse in vegas, TMPGEnc and VirtualDUB
    Quote Quote  
  15. If you haven't already, get the latest WHQL certified drivers for your graphics card. Also, try disabling any video enhancement settings in the graphics driver applet. If that doesn't fix the problem, try different output devices in the media player software. For example, in VLC: Tools -> Preferences -> Video -> Output.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I tried disabling any video enhancement settings. Made it worse. If i change settings in VCL it may help with that programe but not help in vegas etc

i dont know if this helps at all.

Quote Quote  
  17. How about a screenshot/picture of what this "pixilation" looks like?
    Quote Quote  
  18. problem is my screen caps look amazing. A bit interlaced but great quality
    Quote Quote  
  19. Make sure you graphics card is set up to output at the monitor's native resolution. Also make sure the refresh rate isn't too high. Try 50 or 60 Hz, whatever your monitor accepts.
    Quote Quote  
  20. A screen cap

Last edited by blacksheepdownunder; 21st Jul 2010 at 11:37.
    Quote Quote  
  21. to me that looks like a very old VHS tape with deinterlacing turned off.
    Quote Quote  
  22. While playing in VLC, select Video -> Deinterlace -> On, then Video -> Deinterlace Mode -> Bob (or one of the other options).
    Quote Quote  
  23. Thats DIGITAL BROADCAST. From my digital tv box into a canopus ADVC300.

I would be happy with the quality of the screen caps but that NOT what im seeing
    Quote Quote  
  24. Mate, why the heck are you reencoding digital broadcasting?
    It's digital already, most likely MPEG2 or MPEG4.
    You can capture it directly as a stream to your computer or on the HDD of your receiver.

If you are capturing from VHS through the ADVC300 then the output is DV AVI, interlaced, PAL, bottom field first. Try deinterlacing and see if that helps.

I don't see any "pixilation" in the cap. If you are seeing something different try to take a picture with a digital camera and post.

Otherwise I am at a complete loss as to what could possibly be going wrong, if anything.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The issue, as has been stated, seems to be the relationship between your graphics card and your monitor. If your card does not support the native resolution of your monitor, the monitor could display artifacts as it is is changing the ratio. Put that into figures then if your card only outputs 1024*768 then your monitor must be set at 1024*768 (regardless of the ratio of the source material).

Does this monitor come with drivers ?. You must not rely on native windows drivers even if they state they support your equipment.

On the 'digital' issue, I may be very wrong on this but the recording may be digital but the output from the recording device could be analogue which then needs a conversion through the ADVC
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by dvd3500 View Post
    Mate, why the heck are you reencoding digital broadcasting?
    It's digital already, most likely MPEG2 or MPEG4.
    You can capture it directly as a stream to your computer or on the HDD of your receiver.

If you are capturing from VHS through the ADVC300 then the output is DV AVI, interlaced, PAL, bottom field first. Try deinterlacing and see if that helps.

I don't see any "pixilation" in the cap. If you are seeing something different try to take a picture with a digital camera and post.

Otherwise I am at a complete loss as to what could possibly be going wrong, if anything.
    how can i get it from the digital broadcast like that? the Austar box doesnt give you the option
    Quote Quote  
  27. OK. I have sorted the problem down to this. High quality rips look GREAT through VLC and Media Player. BUT when i open them in Premier Pro or Sony Vegas. They look like S%&t. They are ok when paused (only interlace flicker) and preview is set to best quality. As soon as i play, the quality drops to half and it looks like fly screen. Any ideas
    Quote Quote  
  28. Premiere and Vegas are probably performing a simple discard-field deinterlace when playing the video. Who cares what the video looks like then? What matters is how the final output file looks.
    Quote Quote  
  29. How can you edit and clean up with filters if it looks like crap. You don't know what the product will look like
    Quote Quote  
  30. that was a genuine question. I am trying to enhance videos to bring out detail, color correction, remove noise etc. Do i just keep rendering samples? that gets insain as it takes time to render.
    Quote Quote