VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. First off I use a 64bit vista OS.
    Ok well i bought this off of ebay the other day instead of amazon for a slightly lower price and get it in a bit sooner. I got it in the mail a few days ago was excited to get it and I installed it onto my computer not to long afterwards. It installs no problems check all the drivers and it says everything is installed correctly the drivers are digitally signed but when I run the program that comes with it "One Touch Video Capture" it doesent show up at all it just shows a black screen. I have also tried opening it up in Ulead to see if I could at least edit the setting there but it won't let me but I can actually see the input from the device through there but if I try to record it says that there's no device selected or something of the nature. I can also get this to work right off the bat for my other computer although it's very slow so I can't record anything without putting it on the lowest setting and having quality that's so poor I can't even see what's going on. So if anyone can help me with this or has had the same problem in the past i'd appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    did you download and install the vista64 drivers?
    http://www.diamondmm.com/VC500.php

strange because the spec sheet only lists - "OPERATING SYSTEM WINXP WINVISTA32 MCE" - maybe they got it to work with vista64 later.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    did you download and install the vista64 drivers?
    http://www.diamondmm.com/VC500.php

strange because the spec sheet only lists - "OPERATING SYSTEM WINXP WINVISTA32 MCE" - maybe they got it to work with vista64 later.
    EDIT: Alright I got them installed but i'm still not getting any visual input from the thing. This is very annoying.

I noticed that as well I have another backup comp that's a 32bit XP and it runs perfectly with this but I also have friends that have bought this with 64bit vista and 64bit win7 and got it to run right on the first try without problems.
    Last edited by ZEROthefirst; 17th Jul 2010 at 16:28.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The VC500 did not load correctly and function on a Windows 7 Ultimate OS on an i7 PC with lots of capability. The problem turned out to be the device name, OTG102, which was the same as eHome infrared sensor from Microsoft. Since this device is not used in my system, I uninstalled the eHome infrared driver and the VC500 installation went the same as before but I installed the correct driver, placed in the correct category, and the EZ Grabber works now. How is it that the industry cannot agree on unique names for different devices?:
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    warning - reviving old thread. sorry.

Originally Posted by John Chapman View Post
    but I installed the correct driver, placed in the correct category, and the EZ Grabber works now.
    can someone elaborate on "correct driver," "correct category"?

i've installed VC500 in a windows 7 OS. more specifically, I installed the components from the CD that came with the device. i'm not using the "one touch" button on the cable, but rather the EZ grabber capture, edit, and produce software.

I saw the OTG102 in my device manager, so am I to remove it per this thread, then reinstall the VC500 software off of the disk (or should I download the driver from Diamond?). and, how do I designate/ensure a "correct category" as described in your post?

If John Chapman is unavailable, can anyone provide assistance? thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    He said his problem was caused by a conflict with an eHome infrared driver.

You're not able to capture using the VC500? Is there a yellow triangle next to OTG102 in Device Manager?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi -

first - i need to make a correction - the software's name is ArcSoft Showbiz, not EZ grabber.

no, there's no yellow triangle, but when i turn on the ArcSoft, click on Capture, i get an error message:

Capture Module The device is not available, or being used by another application. Please close any applications that may be using the device and try again.
    i also do not see any video playing within the ArcSoft window when i've got the VCR plugged into the USB port.

this seems to come up in people's experiences with this product, but i'm having difficulty understanding what puzzle piece is missing in my situation since i'm a technovoid. ha ha.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Very easy fix!

Install and open the EZ Grabber software it comes with. Set it up there, and once you see the screen close the crappy software. Open in Virtualdub and voila!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by premiumcapture View Post
    Very easy fix!

Install and open the EZ Grabber software it comes with. Set it up there, and once you see the screen close the crappy software. Open in Virtualdub and voila!
    i'm sorry for my feeble questions, but is EZ Grabber the software that controls the (a) Diamond one-touch video capture cables or (b) ArcSoft ?

the only CD that came with the cables/one touch device has the name "ArcSoft" and that's what i've been referring to in my earlier posts.
    Quote Quote  
  10. https://www.diamondmm.com/diamond-vc500-one-touch-video-capture-edit-stream.html

Arcsoft was replaced in later software versions.

Click the link above and go to the downloads page to get the update. Under no circumstances use the bundled software to capture - quality is terrible.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by premiumcapture View Post
    https://www.diamondmm.com/diamond-vc500-one-touch-video-capture-edit-stream.html

Arcsoft was replaced in later software versions.

Click the link above and go to the downloads page to get the update. Under no circumstances use the bundled software to capture - quality is terrible.
    off to go do just that. thanks - will report back.

QUESTION: before i download, do i choose ISO or ZIP? there's two versions on their site.
    Last edited by platform; 2nd May 2015 at 12:05.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Grab the ZIP, simply because it's a smaller download...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    Grab the ZIP, simply because it's a smaller download...
    i did just that, and am extracting the zipped contents.

edited to add:

okay, i can now see my video and everything looks okay.

thank you everyone!!
    Last edited by platform; 3rd May 2015 at 07:09.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok. i have now moved on to the next step and have some questions.

i've captured the files and they are saved on my laptop. i'm able to even view the content - my laptop automatically launches windows media player to view the videos.

1) what software should i use to edit the videos?
    a) i would like to trim off some excess "blank" footage and save just the portion that has content. while capturing, there were times when i didn't turn off EZ Grabber right away and it continued to capture blank footage.

b) once i am happy with the footage, i wish to make a copy of excerpts of the footage to be used in a video that tells a story.
    c) i asked about what software to use being that i wasn't sure if EZ Grabber came with editing software, and if it did, what is the name of that editing software. i have a windows 7 OS and have microsoft office, windows media player, etc.

2) after i complete steps 1a & 1b above, i would like to move the videos off of the hard drive because i am running low on hard drive space on the laptop and i have a few more videos that i need to capture off of video tapes.
    a) should i simply cut and paste the results from 1a above to a DVD-r disk? i don't necessarily want to watch it off of the DVD in a standard DVD player just yet.
    b) regarding just having the video files on a DVD-r in a file format, i wish to have the files in that format so that i can edit it from that format later on.

c) or would it be better to copy the footage onto a DVD-R and finalize the DVD-R to be played from a standard DVD player?

thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Too many questions at once for me.

What format / type of compression did you capture to? 720x480 uncompressed AVI? Some sort of MP4? DVD-compatible MPEG-2?

What types of edits do you want to make? Simple trims / cut / joins? Dissolves? Something more complex?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi thanks for your reply.

EZ Grabber saved it as "Movie Clip". "Movie Clip" are what's listed as "file type" when i do a file listing of the folder contents. i haven't converted to any other file format, however suggestions are welcome.

i want to trim off the blank footage.

i want to pull out small snippets of footage.

a friend will be creating a video for me using the snippets.

i will save the snippets on a flash drive for her to work with.
    Quote Quote  
  17. You've been a member here for 9 years and that's all you've learned? Turn on your file extensions so you can see what kind of a 'Movie Clip' it is. If that's still too much for you then open it in MediaInfo and copy and paste a text readout of what it is. View->Text. As it is now, you're just wasting people's time.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    You've been a member here for 9 years and that's all you've learned? Turn on your file extensions so you can see what kind of a 'Movie Clip' it is. If that's still too much for you then open it in MediaInfo and copy and paste a text readout of what it is. View->Text. As it is now, you're just wasting people's time.
    manono, please forgive me. if you prefer to ignore me, that's fine. you do not need to post if it's wasting your time.

the date i registered on this site is correct, however, i have not needed video assistance too often as i work full time outside of my home and have 3 young children, a husband and a cat. we captured our lives on the video cam and had never sat down to convert them into files until now.

i did my share of searching the site for using specific search terms, but was unaware that the devices i have to my avail were outdated. i do not do video extraction on a full time basis - just a regular person who is very non-techy when it comes to computers.

thank you for your post. for the record, the file type is .mpg

attention vapoeon800 "Brad" - if you'd be so kind as to comment on my queries, that would be great. your earlier posts were extremely valuable and helped me get a lot of my videos converted.
    Last edited by platform; 26th May 2015 at 05:05.
    Quote Quote  
  19. MPG is a lot better than 'Movie File'. There are several ways to do cuts such as you describe. I often use MPEG2Cut2 for the job. It can both trim off the ends as well as cut out pieces for saving, also as MPGs. No reencoding. Even the ArcSoft Showbiz software you mentioned earlier can do what you want.

...you do not need to post if it's wasting your time.
    I said 'people's' time. Meaning everyone reading the thread that might be able to help were they given the proper information.
    Quote Quote