VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Howdy, about two years ago (ish) I bought a Panasonic DMR-EZ48V for the specific purpose to converting most of my old family VHS to DVD. For the most part, the unit has worked fine. But what I have noticed is that the dvd's I burn will work perfectly when I play them back on the Panasonic DMR-EZ48V but when I try to play them back on my MacBook or Xbox 360 or basically anything else, it will play but then get to points where it is very choppy or skips. I have just used a stack of Memorex DVD-Rs to burn on.

I have read on here this evening about how bad this unit is but for what I want it to do it work decently so far so am I doing something wrong or what can I do to get my dvd's to work on other players?

Thanks,
    Brian
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The first thing to know is that you did indeed finalize them? Try using different brand of disc. I have a ES40V and have had very few issues and Memorex is one of them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes I did finalize them.

What brand of disks would you recommend?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you have something else, TDK or SONY. I just picked up a spindle of TDKs at Office Depot for $23.50. I assume it's more likely that the other devices are the issues. Some drives just don't like some discs. I must ask what are you dubbing them at, SP?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Most of them are in SP but I have done a few in the 4 hour one (can't remember the abbreviation off the top of my head). I didn't do many at four hour ones because the quality just wasn't there.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    At this point I'd try a different brand of disc and try a "+" as compared to a "-"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also where do they tend to skip? If its consistently at the end of the discs its probably bad media. Its been reported that the end of the discs are more faulty on lesser quality brands.

One approach is to target your encoding bitrate so that it doesn't fill up the entire disc to avoid the end of the disc.

Of course the better approach is to invest in better media. Like verbatim or taiyo yuden media (now jvc/ty).
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  8. It is pretty random when they do skip but once they start it is hard to get past the point. It is always no more than 10 minutes in so I do not think it is the end of the disk thing. I have a Sony DVD I can try on that I plan to do once I get back home on Sunday. If the Sony works then then I will just choose a different brand of media and re burn everything lol.

Oh also, is there any rule for marking the DVDs? Are sharpies fine or should I use the labels circular labels that are ran through the printer? Or how do yall mark them?

Thanks for all of the help!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just use sharpies for everyday things.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Memorex, TDK and Sony are all going to be Ritek or CMC media now.
    Switching "brands" won't change discs.

Learn more about blank DVDs: http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hmmm so it might be a + or - issue not a manufacturer?

Another idea I had, if I can't stamp out this playing issue, was go straight from VHS to computer. I would be alright with them all on my computer verses DVDs. Any anyone enlighten me on how hard or easy that would be to do?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Go out and get a Verbatim 100 pk spindle at Office Max for $16.99 with online coupon, $21.99 w/o coupon reg price $35.99 or so. For the record, I use +Rs, as they are more compatible with my older DVD players.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
  13. I think it was the media. I just did a burn with a Sony DVD+R and it works fine from what I can tell. I will fully watch the movie again when I have more time but it looks like either the Panasonic didn't like memorex or didn't like that it was DVD-R vs DVD+R... Thanks for all of the help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by V Bot View Post
    Go out and get a Verbatim 100 pk spindle at Office Max for $16.99 with online coupon, $21.99 w/o coupon reg price $35.99 or so. For the record, I use +Rs, as they are more compatible with my older DVD players.
    Don't buy Value Series or Life Series, however.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Originally Posted by V Bot View Post
    Don't buy Value Series or Life Series, however.
    I almost picked the Life Series, thank goodness I followed my gut. Thanks for the info. I got the Purple Pack of 100. can't beat $16.99. Now to find some good DVD+R DL.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote