VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've just muxed some elementary streams into .m2ts file with tsmuxer, created it into a bluray structure (bdmv), and then created an ISO img of it with ImgBurn and played it back with an appropriate program.

The problem is that the channels at a point in the movie (around the middle) get mixed up. I think the center channel swaps to the left speaker. This is a 5.1 track PCM.

The audio elementary stream came from a raw .dts track which I decoded into PCM. Then, re-encoded into a WAV file so it can be read by tsmuxer (otherwise tsmuxer doesn't want raw PCM tracks)

The original elementary stream sounds good and does not have this issue. I'm simply trying to pinpoint at what point the audio screws up. Can the muxer screw up the audio? Can someone recommend me another .m2ts muxer other than tsmuxer?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have fed the muxer a single file it is unlikely that the problem occurs during muxing. More likely to have happened during your demuxing and re-encoding.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Well I can't preview the final WAV file that will be muxed. It's 8 gigs and no audio editor opens more than 8 minutes of it. I want to see if this is the step that screws up the mix but I can't unless someone knows a program.

Perhaps my next alternative is to encode the PCM file back into DTS-HD master audio.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You should be able to play the file in something like VLC or The KM Player though.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Event3horizon View Post
    Well I can't preview the final WAV file that will be muxed. It's 8 gigs and no audio editor opens more than 8 minutes of it. I want to see if this is the step that screws up the mix but I can't unless someone knows a program.

Perhaps my next alternative is to encode the PCM file back into DTS-HD master audio.
    Well, there's your problem, and it probably starts happening at the 1 or 2Gig mark. The WAV file format doesn't support files greater than 4 Gig and that's rare in itself because of signed vs. unsigned, so many can't or shouldn't be made past the 2 Gig mark (though some are still able to be created..), and so your file is just "unreadable" or let's say "unmanageable" after that point. Sometimes that point comes even at the 1 Gig mark.

It would seem a waste of time to try to track down the "offending" section. Best to just create a file type that IS fully supported to its end length.

If you need LPCM, you could just create a raw PCM track. Since it's headerless, you'll want to make sure you know the specs of the file (sample rate, bit depth, # channels and their ordering, and byte ordering/signage). You could try WAV64/RF64. Possibly FLAC. Or DTS-HD (IIRC, it's lossless also).
    Or you could do a slightly lossy version (AC3, DTS).

Just make sure that your chosen filetype is fully supported from encoding onward.

EDIT: reading between the lines, it sounds like you DID create a PCM track. Then, yes, you SHOULD probably go back to a DTS-HD file.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Ok well, I rencoded the PCM file to a .DTSHD file (DTS-MA) using the appropriate tools. I then muxed it with TSmuxer into a Bluray structure, and then in turn took that structure and made it into an ISO with ImgBurn. I then played it in my blu-ray player (powerdvd8) and OF COURSE, there is no audio. The video works good. The player even says that the track is "DTS-HD 5.1, etc." Ironically, if I open the .m2ts file directly with nero showtime, it plays well! But I'm certain that if I burn this to blu-ray and play it on the PS3 it will behave like powerdvd does.

So next thing is, I just found a little program called pcm2tsmu.exe that its sole purpose is to make a .pcm file READABLE in tsmuxer! I'll try it out and see if it will work.
    Quote Quote  
  7. OK!! I found out the problem and it was stupid and simple, my powerdvd8 program was MUTED in the windows 7 mixer. I played around with this and totally forgot. Haha! So muxing the .dtshd track worked and I finally burned the dual layer Bluray which came out perfect. Unfortunately the track i muxed with the result of pcm2tsmu.exe yielded a track with static. Don't know why. But raw PCM files and tsmuxer simply do not mix,
    Quote Quote