VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am currently trying to rip die hard to my hard drive and having major problems with it, i have tried anydvd hd rip to image and by 50% it was taken over 800 minutes, tried dvdfab (just the movie) and make mkv and after an hour on both, they both failed right at the end, i am thinking the disc is faulty, not sure what else it could be.

Any ideas for anything else i could try would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Well i used the blu-ray to hard drive option rather than the iso option from anydvd hd and it ripped without any problems, so i will see later if i can turn it into mkv without any probs
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ok so i used handbrake to mkv die hard but it only done 75 mins of the film then obviously stopped so i dont know what happened, so i am going to try a another couple of things, so suggestions are still very welcome.
    Last edited by adamf154; 15th Jul 2010 at 21:22.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  5. Read the first post already tried that didn't work
    Quote Quote  
  6. This film really doesn't want to be decrypted, its on the hard drive and it seems to work ok, has anyone else had problems like this
    Quote Quote  
  7. I've had similar problems a few times, and I'm fairly sure it came down to faulty discs, although you can try cleaning it. Die Hard came out on Blu-Ray at the end of 2007, so it's not a protection issue.

I recall a couple of stubborn discs that had a problem with the layer change, which caused a sync discontinuity in the DTS-MA or TrueHD audio. (Die Hard has DTS-MA). Everything I tried on them failed until I used ClownBD to extract movie-only and audio selection to output as 5.1 AC3. (AnyDVDHD running in the background). I know the problem was sync discontinuity because eac3to said so when it analyzed the audio, and successfully re-synced. Alternatively, if the problem isn't the audio but something else, the *m2ts may still be extractable.

You might try that, if ClownBD completes, you should end up with usable files. Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ripbot and BDrebuilder both convert BR to MKV
    Quote Quote  
  9. I too have had issues with Die Hard 4. I ripped it to my hard drive using DVDFab and towards the end of the video the video gets pretty screwed up. Perhaps I have a faulty disc even though it plays fine on my PS3.

I have not yet encoded it or done any further processing.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	die_hard_4_issue.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	2941  

Quote Quote  
  10. It seems I have run into the same issue with Avatar... not sure what exactly is happening... if the bitrate is just too high for my computer (which I sincerely doubt) or DVDFab is just having issues with it. I don't think its my blu ray drive as i've only had it a week or two. Even against my better judgement I'm going to encode it with Ripbot to see if it still looks like that afterwards.
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit -- Intel Core i7 930 (2.80ghz - not OC) -- 6gb triple channel ram -- 2 500gb hdds and a 2tb hdd
    Quote Quote  
  11. AnyDVDHD, IIRC, required several updates before it could finally decrypt Avatar reliably and I think DVDFab initially had trouble with it. It had the latest protection when it came out. Might not have anything to do with your problem. Die Hard 4 should not be a decryption problem.

I notice you're using MPCHC. I've seen those symptoms when trying to play a fragmented Blu_Ray rip in MPCHC, and mind you they always fragment when ripping. If I've neglected my maintenance and my capture drive has too much on it, I'll often transfer the rip to another drive, after which it's one nice contiguous file. OTOH, your rig has a lot of juice, so I dunno. Try another player? Check for fragmentation?

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  12. I should have noted that I get the same results when viewing the video in VLC and MPCHC so I'm thinking the file must be fragmented. I'm actually rather new to ripping, is there a thread that would lead show me how to check for fragmentation?

I also downloaded AnyDVD HD so I'll attempt to rip using that, although like you said you don't think it is a decryption issue. I'm curious as to what else could be causing it, both movies play fine in my ps3.

I don't think its my drive, I have a LG WH10LS30K 10X Blu-ray Burner. Maybe I need to upgrade my driver?
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit -- Intel Core i7 930 (2.80ghz - not OC) -- 6gb triple channel ram -- 2 500gb hdds and a 2tb hdd
    Quote Quote