VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I encoded a 720p/30fps source with CCE for DVD playback and I end up getting jagged lines every time. Look at the 3-point line in the picture below. When I play it back using Windows Media Player, PowerDVD, or VLC player on my PC the problem doesn't appear. However, when I author the video and burn it to a DVD I get those broken lines when I try watching it on my TV. In CCE I made sure that the progressive flag was tagged and set the block order to zig-zag. The result I get is a 720x480 16:9 progressive image with a Top Field First scan order (according to Mediainfo). Could this be a problem with the video or my TV? I'm playing it back on an old plasma Panasonic TV (not HD). Here's the Avisynth script I use for CCE.

LoadPlugin("DGAVCDecode.dll")
    AVCSource("Source.dga")
    Colormatrix(mode="Rec.709->Rec.601")
    LanczosResize(720,480)
    ConverttoYUY2()
    If the problem is my TV, I'd like to some how still get rid of those jagged lines. If it's not my TV, can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? This is bothering me to no end. I'm willing to post more of my settings on CCE or anything else if needed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lakers.png
Views:	642
Size:	712.8 KB
ID:	2660
    Quote Quote  
  2. What did you use to author?

How does the burned DVD look when you play it on the PC? or with a different DVD player/TV - e.g. go to a friends house and check it out
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What was your 720p source? There are many discussions on this issue. Here's one:
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/top-or-bottom-field-first-t81249.html

DVD for TV is encoded as interlaced, not progressive.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 20th Mar 2014 at 16:07.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Your video is being discard-field deinterlaced somewhere along the line. Not by the AviSynth script, probably not by CCE, probably by the DVD player or TV. How do the VOB files look if you open them on the computer? Try encoding interlaced in CCE, not progressive.
    Quote Quote  
  5. What did you use to author? How does the burned DVD look when you play it on the PC? or with a different DVD player/TV - e.g. go to a friends house and check it out
    I used Muxman to author the DVD. Haven't been able to try it anywhere else except my home.

Your video is being discard-field deinterlaced somewhere along the line. Not by the AviSynth script, probably not by CCE, probably by the DVD player or TV. How do the VOB files look if you open them on the computer? Try encoding interlaced in CCE, not progressive.
    Okay so I've tested the DVD on my PC using VLC player and there was no problem with it until I switched the deinterlace method from none to discard. This is where I see the jagged lines again. So it seems my DVD player or TV may be the problem. I'll try encoding it interlaced to see what happens.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If retail SD-DVD and BluRay (these are all mostly interlaced sources) play normally on your SD or HD tv, then your DVD players and tv's are working correctly. Your PC's media players are also playing properly (their output is progressive). The interlace problem usually occurs with software processing. There's seldom a need to deinterlace and/or re-interlace video in PC processing; when required by some software filters, re-interlace or reweave has to reassemble the frames exactly the way they were originally, and the re-weave is usually where things can go wrong. I've processed a lot of video and never encountered the need to deinterlace, except for some temporary viewing analysis, but the deinterlace was for temporary display only and didn't modify the original video.

There are samples of deinterlace problems at www.digitalfaq.com, but the best examples of interlace difficulty I've seen are at http://www.100fps.com. The latter deals with DivX processing, but the similar problems would apply to any interlaced video.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 20th Mar 2014 at 16:07.
    Quote Quote  
  7. So I encoded it as interlaced in CCE and it didn't work. I'm still getting those jagged lines on my TV. Should I convert to interlaced with avisynth and send that to CCE? Adding to my script AssumeTFF, Separatefields(), Selectevery(4,0,3), or something along those lines?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by seven_deuce offsuit View Post
    So I encoded it as interlaced in CCE and it didn't work. I'm still getting those jagged lines on my TV.
    It shouldn't really matter, but did you try both TFF and BFF?

Originally Posted by seven_deuce offsuit View Post
    Should I convert to interlaced with avisynth and send that to CCE? Adding to my script AssumeTFF, Separatefields(), Selectevery(4,0,3), or something along those lines?
    You would have to add Weave() to that sequence to get interlaced frames. But it will reduce the frame rate in half giving you 15 fps interlaced. You could double the frame rate first to get a 30i video to test. See if that shows the same problem.

What kind of connection are you running between the DVD player and the TV? You might try something else. Component vs HDMI for example.

Many DVD players will send only one field to the TV when paused. Maybe that's your problem? Does the same thing happen when the video is in motion?
    Last edited by jagabo; 15th Jul 2010 at 09:20.
    Quote Quote  
  9. After many trials and errors, I have yet to find a single method that works. Using the script below for all except one encoding, I still get those broken lines on my TV paused or not.

LoadPlugin("DGAVCDecode.dll")
    AVCSource("Source.dga")
    Colormatrix(mode="Rec.709->Rec.601")
    Lanczosresize(720,480)
    ConverttoYUY2()

I then send this script to CCE-SP2 using these settings:

Advanced Settings

Name:	CCE-SP2 Advanced.PNG
Views:	855
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	2690

Picture Quality Settings

Name:	CCE-SP2 Picture Quality.PNG
Views:	1552
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	2691

For Picture Quality Settings, I've also tried checking both alternate and zig-zag while unchecking Progressive frame. I've even tried converting it to interlaced with avisynth adding to my script ChangeFPS(59.94), AssumeTFF(), Separatefields(), Selectevery(4,0,3), and Weave() while checking alternate and unchecking Progressive frame in CCE. None of these methods have worked. I'm connecting my DVD player through component to my SD TV. I don't have HDMI or an HDTV.

I've also tried using Restream. Here's a sample of one of the files I've encoded.

Name:  Restream.PNG
Views: 2414
Size:  9.4 KB

I've tried checking Progressive sequence with Frametype progressive and top field first checked, and also tried unchecking top field first with Frametype progressive and progressive sequence checked. Still no go.

I'm at my wits end with this and still have no idea what the problem is.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by seven_deuce offsuit View Post
    I'm connecting my DVD player through component to my SD TV. I don't have HDMI or an HDTV.
    What type of display is your SD TV? If CRT I think it's very unlikely the TV is the cause of this problem.

Is the DVD player set up to output 480i or 480p? If 480p, try changing to 480i. And try using s-video or composite cables instead.

As a test, try slowing the frame rate down to 23.976 fps and encoding progressive with 3:2 pulldown flags. That is the way most commercial movie DVDs are produced.

If you have access to another TV and/or DVD player try those.

If you post the brand and model number of the TV and DVD someone may have some specific information about them.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Also check the source. 720p30 is a weird value, it should be 720p60 if recorded from TV. Maybe it's already been drop field deinterlaced
    Quote Quote