VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I like Sly, but that is one of the worse movies he ever made (next to the one with Dolly Parton where he was a country singer). It really isn't worth wasting a dvd on never mind a BD disc.
    I love children, girl children... about 16-40
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ricoman View Post
    I like Sly, but that is one of the worse movies he ever made (next to the one with Dolly Parton where he was a country singer). It really isn't worth wasting a dvd on never mind a BD disc.
    Add Demolition Man to that list.

Dr_Layne
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by [_chef_] View Post
    Originally Posted by Sephiroth666 View Post
    Strange. That Pioneer BDR-205 is deactivated at NewEgg. No new models listed either. I remember reading somewhere before that the Plextor ones are rebranded Pioneer, but the damn things are double the price of an LG. Hardly worth it.
    The 206 is out soon, with BDXL write support.........
    I just saw a Pioneer 2206 on the shelves at Fry's . . . after that section being empty of Pioneer BD for quite some time. Is that the same model, or not ?
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Strange. That Pioneer BDR-205 is deactivated at NewEgg. No new models listed either. I remember reading somewhere before that the Plextor ones are rebranded Pioneer, but the damn things are double the price of an LG. Hardly worth it.
    I just saw a Pioneer 2206 on the shelves at Fry's . . . after that section being empty of Pioneer BD for quite some time. Is that the same model, or not ?

Same exact drive, the 2206 is the retail version:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Professional/Computer-Drives/BDR-2206

http://pioneer.jp/bdd/products/bdr_2206/

Also, Newegg has the 206 in stock:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129061

As does Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046K062C/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bbanderic View Post
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post

As does Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046K062C/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Good to know. Only a $20. spread between retail and OEM, if you bought from NewEgg, or a $30. spread if you bought from Amazon. But check out the user comments at Amazon: the 12/26 one entitled "BEWARE Drive locked to 2X read speed for Blu-Ray backup", and the one dated 12/9 that says "Thinking of watching Blu-ray movies on your PC? You'll be sorry if you don't have already a HDCP monitor and HDCP video card. HDCP stands for High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection, a copy protection scheme to eliminate the possibility of intercepting digital data midstream between the source to the display. This drive will be great for everything else but watching Blue-ray movies."

According to the first of these user reviews, the drive firmware is encrypted. That would mean the mfr. has effectively shut the door, and you can toss any notion of using some hacked FW alternative or MediaCodeSpeedEdit.

In that case, Forget It ! Why then would I have much reason to bother with this ? Higher capacity optical data storage is unlikely to provide sufficient incentive to buy one of these, IMO. (Would the answers be any different with the 205, which is apparently still available ? Or, is this going to be the case with all of the competing BD burners ?)

[EDIT: should have gone on to read the comments to the comments ! One states that "You only need to install the proper software to bypass the restrictions." And there are some programs here in the tool section, such as BDRip -- which presumably do not exist in vain -- so I will wait on further research and the more informed comments that are usually available here at VH.]
    Last edited by Seeker47; 2nd Jan 2011 at 11:18.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Should be S206, NOT 2206............

Well, different name schemes again in different world regions.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post

As does Amazon:

Good to know. Only a $20. spread between retail and OEM, if you bought from NewEgg, or a $30. spread if you bought from Amazon. But check out the user comments at Amazon: the 12/26 one entitled "BEWARE Drive locked to 2X read speed for Blu-Ray backup", and the one dated 12/9 that says "Thinking of watching Blu-ray movies on your PC? You'll be sorry if you don't have already a HDCP monitor and HDCP video card. HDCP stands for High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection, a copy protection scheme to eliminate the possibility of intercepting digital data midstream between the source to the display. This drive will be great for everything else but watching Blue-ray movies."

According to the first of these user reviews, the drive firmware is encrypted. That would mean the mfr. has effectively shut the door, and you can toss any notion of using some hacked FW alternative or MediaCodeSpeedEdit.

In that case, Forget It ! Why then would I have much reason to bother with this ? Higher capacity optical data storage is unlikely to provide sufficient incentive to buy one of these, IMO. (Would the answers be any different with the 205, which is apparently still available ? Or, is this going to be the case with all of the competing BD burners ?)

[EDIT: should have gone on to read the comments to the comments ! One states that "You only need to install the proper software to bypass the restrictions." And there are some programs here in the tool section, such as BDRip -- which presumably do not exist in vain -- so I will wait on further research and the more informed comments that are usually available here at VH.]
    If you look at the specs for the 206 it says read speed for BD-ROM, BD-R/RW is 8X which is as good or better than any drive on the market. I wouldn't read too much into the few reviews on Amazon as both negative comments have been disputed. Also, that guy complaining about 2X read speed doesn't give any info on the PC in which the 206 is hooked up to, he could very well be using older hardware causing slow read speeds. No way in hell is that drive locked to 2X

I have the 205 with the newest firmware (1.09), installed in my i7 PC and the read speeds are 8X all day.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you look at the specs for the 206 it says read speed for BD-ROM, BD-R/RW is 8X which is as good or better than any drive on the market. I wouldn't read too much into the few reviews on Amazon as both negative comments have been disputed. Also, that guy complaining about 2X read speed doesn't give any info on the PC in which the 206 is hooked up to, he could very well be using older hardware causing slow read speeds. No way in hell is that drive locked to 2X

I have the 205 with the newest firmware (1.09), installed in my i7 PC and the read speeds are 8X all day.
    O.K. But, 205 vs. 206 / 2206: are there any restrictions or limitations introduced with this new model that might present an argument for getting the prior model (or one from a different mfr.), instead ?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post

O.K. But, 205 vs. 206 / 2206: are there any restrictions or limitations introduced with this new model that might present an argument for getting the prior model (or one from a different mfr.), instead ?
    According to the specs...no.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I also bought an LG WH10LS30 recently from BestBuy (the sales guy warned me it only read BDs despite what was written otherwise on the box). It came with PowerDVD9 and other stuff, and it works like a charm burning Verbatim and LG BD-Rs with the latest ImgBurn on the H55 mobo Core i5 (built from scratch) Win XP Pro system it was put into.
    Like 84lion's case though, it balks at burning the same BD-Rs when connected via a USB enclosure to an ancient HP Pavilion desktop. I suppose cheaper BD-Rs like his Philips are going to need all the system help they can get to be burned successfully so a USB v1 connection won't cut it. So there.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    O.K., the 2206 was recently on sale (at Fry's -- but about the same as the NewEgg price, minus the shipping), so I bought one. The computer it will likely go into is a future project, though.

I bought this with the recognition that it might wind up being a BR player only, with some possibility of use for data backup. The f/w on this burner is reportedly encrypted. So, forget about any RPC-1 type interventions, and MediaCodeSpeedEdit does not cover Blu-Ray, in any case. Does this constitute an unbreakable chain, insofar as backing up one's commercial discs are concerned ? What -- if any -- are the rip options in that situation ? AnyDVD ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    O.K., the 2206 was recently on sale (at Fry's -- but about the same as the NewEgg price, minus the shipping), so I bought one. The computer it will likely go into is a future project, though.

I bought this with the recognition that it might wind up being a BR player only, with some possibility of use for data backup. The f/w on this burner is reportedly encrypted. So, forget about any RPC-1 type interventions, and MediaCodeSpeedEdit does not cover Blu-Ray, in any case. Does this constitute an unbreakable chain, insofar as backing up one's commercial discs are concerned ? What -- if any -- are the rip options in that situation ? AnyDVD ?
    I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, but with AnyDVDHD, you can rip anything, though certain discs with Cinavia protection have the protection copied to the backup discs which have audio difficulties on some PS3's and and a few newer standalone bluray players with Cinavia in its firmware. Slysoft is supposedly working on this, but so far it's been a tough nut to crack.
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ricoman View Post
    ]
    I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, but with AnyDVDHD, you can rip anything, though certain discs with Cinavia protection have the protection copied to the backup discs which have audio difficulties on some PS3's and and a few newer standalone bluray players with Cinavia in its firmware. Slysoft is supposedly working on this, but so far it's been a tough nut to crack.
    I think you just answered it.
    So, DVDFab is not keeping pace on this with AnyDVD ?
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm ready to buy my first Blu Ray burner... is there that big of difference between Pioneer BDR-205 - Disk drive - BD-RE - 12x/2x/8x - Serial ATA - internal - 5.25" - $139.95 or the

or the Pioneer Internal Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Writer BDR-206 (Black) -$ 118.18 as far as the price ? Sometime the newer one may not be the best of the two. Or the LG Electronics 10X Blu-ray SATA Writer Drive with Software WH10LS30K - Bulk (Black) - LG for $101.99

Which of the three do you guys think I should purchase ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    IMHO I'd buy the Pioneer from Newegg instead of Amazon. Just my 2 cents!

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use an LG Blu-ray burner. Has never failed a burn of data or other wise. Have made at least a dozen home made movies from various files, mpeg, avi and ripped Blu-ray's. Came with a update utility to keep the firmware up to date to ensure it will handle the newest disc's. Also works very well with 3rd party software. I can't say enough about the drive.
    If it feels good, do it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have the Pioneer 205 and love it. It was the best reviewed BD burner at the time. I can't find a review for the 206 but it appears to be a good performer:
    http://club.myce.com/f87/pioneer-bdr-206-riplock-318810/
    I also have a Pioneer 115 DVD burner and it may be the best I've ever had, (and I've had some legendary burners: NEC 3500, LG 6147, BenQ 1640) so I would trust them for sure. Good luck with your choice.
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
  19. I have a cheap ATAPI DVD A DH20A4P Burner and I'm going to buy the Pioneer Black Blu-ray Burner SATA BDR-206BKS - OEM (out of stock of the 205) on the 205 Newegg.com website it says Deactivated. This item is currently out of stock and it may or may not be restocked. I was just needing to know are they easy to swap out ? I had to replace the one that came in my computer and just had to unplug the cable and plug it in to the new DVD/CD Burner. Will I have to do the same thing when installing the Pioneer ?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just plug and play with SATA drives. Should only take a few minutes.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Thanks, I was hoping that was all I had to do. When backing up to my hard drive with DVD Shrink it takes a long time. It seems when I first bought my burner it was a lot faster.... I thought it may just started worn out.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM

According to the specs...no.

I have the BDR-2206 from Frys. NeroDiscSpeed shows 2x for reading DVDs. This limit holds for AnyDVD, DVDFab, ImgBurn. I seem to recall it being faster when I installed it but now it's a dog. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drive. My system is Core i7 with 6GB RAM so that not it.
    Quote Quote