VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I own both an Ilo DVDR 04 and a Panasonic DVD Recorder DMR EZ17and both truly suck. The Ilo started not finalizing discs as I am in the process of replacing the drive to see if that really works. The Panasonic is now giving me unsupported disc errors (Verbatim DL) that I've used before. Tried several blanks and it won't work. The Panasonic in the past has frozen up where I would have to hold the power button to get it to shut off and that's when it's in any mode, not just DVD. I have been very gentle with both and at this moment would like nothing better than to just throw both against a wall and send the companies the pieces. So tell me if a reliable recorder exists. I have owned a Pioneer CD Recorder for several years now and it gets used a lot more than the two DVD Recorders combined, still works. Yeah, cd is different, but come on.
    Last edited by V Bot; 10th Jul 2010 at 21:25.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
  2. One thing I have found is that the more you use a piece of electronics the longer it lasts, I think they suffer from cooling down/heating up and it is crucial you have space (using hockey pucks) between items, not stacked as the heat finishes them off, especially since all manufacturers went cheap. Also your average Jo does not care about archiving onto discs so PVR's have taken over. In the archive stakes vcr's were better !

Of the current dvd recorders out there probably Panasonic or Toshiba, but y'know its a bit of a lottery, certainly an item to buy the extended warranty.Pioneer no longers makes them but older models are avilable from places like B&H Photo, How many discs have you recorded on your machines?
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would say at least 30 discs made on each. My Ilo, I hacked and made it region free and Macrovision free. It still worked fine after. I ordered a Lite-On from Newegg, in hopes of it working and being compatible. I have read that it may lose some capabilities (FF), but that's okay, I just want to be able to record some store bought VHS that aren't on DVD. Right now I have ran my VCR through the Ilo (RCA) to my Panasonic, which by the way has actually recognized a DVD+R and will see how long that lasts. The New Burner drive will be here on Monday. I still want to buy a new recorder as I use DL discs for football games.
    Last edited by V Bot; 10th Jul 2010 at 21:50.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried 2 LG's and returned them both as they were unreliable. I then went to a Panasonic DMR-ES10 and was about to give up on that too untill I started using TDK Gold DVD-R's 1-16x from the 100 spindle pack's.. Been fine ever since and perfect on a DMR-ES10, ES-15, Ex77 and now EX79... The only failure I have had was the EX77 and they are used VERY hard - nearly a DVD per day and it was the DVD Ram drive in the EX77 that failed.. Try as many types of DVD's as you can and from different packs as they behave differently, even if a 10 spindle v's 100 spindle can be made in diff factories and diff quality levels... Compatability is a LOT better in PC DVD drives than STB Burners....
    Quote Quote  
  5. Is there such a thing as a reliable DVD Recorder?

Sure IF the operator is reliable

THe DVD drive can be replaced in the D04. The D04 is a very tight fit but a PC drice will fit in a properly modified unit many users use the unit without the front trim or out of the case. It is not a DL machine with any drive A drive Will either be recognized or not. With ANY drive the unit WILL NOT have any additional features or operate any faster

I woould suggest a little more an better research
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've definitely researched the DVDR04, the drives I've seen that are compatible with it are very old. That is why I am going to try a new Lite-On. I wouldn't really trust a used drive on eBay much. I guess if it doesn't work, I'll have another drive for my desktop. I know a DL won't work, so that will be out of the question. I also realize that a drop-in method of a new drive in the DVDR04 may require some modifying on my part, which shouldn't be much of a problem. I work with metal just about everyday and consider myself pretty good with fabricating.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It was obvious to most people(me included) that DVD recorders were never going to be as durable and reliable as a VCR.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    It was obvious to most people(me included) that DVD recorders were never going to be as durable and reliable as a VCR.
    I have found my Topfield PVR 5000 (SDTV only) is dead reliable and my newer Beyonwiz PVR (HDTV and SDTV and analog input) is also very relaible. (both have 500GB hdd). I have only had 2 DVD recorders and from my experience they have been a waste of money and time. PVR's are the natural replacement for the VCR IMO. I can transfer the output as a MPEG2TS file over ethernet to my PC and make a DVD if needed.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not really.
    See the DVD Recorder Reviews Guide for more info.

The Philips 3575 is reliable, but doesn't have all features like I wish it did.
    (No input NR, no PAL DVD playback.)
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  10. DVD recorders are one of the most complex consumer products ever offered, buffeted at every turn by unpredictable variables like mfr cost-cutting to meet unrealistic retail price expectations, constantly evolving media quality/specs that outpace recorders, and a wholesale change in the USA broadcast standard right as the product was at the peak of its cycle. Its not surprising the reliability experience has been really poor for a significant number of unlucky people. Since 2008 DVD recorders have been a dead issue: no one in North America was willing to pay the price for a good reliable one, so a few of the better mfrs either went out of business (or began outsourcing) and those that remained ceased offering anything but DVD/VHS combos poisoned by nasty dtv tuner/timer interactions. The two units you happen to own are considered mid-pack in terms of reliability. ILOs are cheaply made, popular chiefly because they're hackable and the bargain brand in Europe. Panasonic used to be fairly reliable until the EZ series which has more issues than usual (they add electrical problems where earlier models only had mechanical issues with dust).

Reliability of DVD recorders is measured on a different scale, you can't apply experience with other products. While some DVD recorders have gone five years without a hiccup, on average even the most expensive ones don't hold up under heavy use for more than two years (at which point they'll need to be repaired or more likely discarded). In todays market the most reliable options would be global-market DVD/HDD recorders from Panasonic (EH-69) or Pioneer (DVR-560), available from importers in the USA for approx $500. These do not have tuners for ATSC broadcasts, you need to use cable/satellite or an external ATSC box. For about half that cost, you can get the excellent Magnavox H2160A (160GB HDD,$198) or MDR513H (320GB HDD, $269) from chain stores like Wal*Mart or Target. These are only very slightly less reliable than the high-end Panasonic or Pioneer units, and the only DVD/HDD models available with USA ATSC tuners. These are further developments of the Phillips 3575/3576 design mentioned by LordSmurf. Reports from the field the last three years indicate these two models are holding up remarkably well, and if they do fail inexpensive DIY parts replacement is possible ( you can use any HDD, and new burners are a reasonable $67).

For the moment, you may be able to get your EZ-17 running better if you clean the dust from its disc clamp: this is an extremely frequent, common and annoying Panasonic issue. For detailed instructions on what to do, google "Panasonic DVD recorder spindle cleaning" and look for assorted forum posts by a guy with the handle "DigaDo". Spindle cleaning almost always restores useful operation of Panasonics, which otherwise are known for very reliable burners. Note DL discs are problem-prone when used in recorders, after awhile the machines just "forget" how to use them, so even cleaning may not restore that function in your EZ-17. If you mostly burn DL media so you don't run out of recording time, consider one of the DVD/HDD models above: the HDDs hold between 60 and 120 hours, which you can edit and selectively burn to cheaper standard DVDs however you wish.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Note DL discs are problem-prone when used in recorders, after awhile the machines just "forget" how to use them
    The burner is dying. DL is first to go, as is RW media.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I totally agree with Orsetto, if you want reliability get a international EH Panasonic or Pioneer. The Magnavox is also a excellent choice and well worth the price although not as refined as the P or P.
    If you need the tuner(or want to spend less than $400) go with the Maggy otherwise try a international model. I know what you're going through, I had 6! EZ-17/27's that all died after about a month of regular use, they suck! I've been using ES/EH series Panasonics since '05 and haven't had one(of about a dozen) quit yet, that says it all.
    The new EZ-28 is much better than the EZ-17 but not as reliable as the Maggys or for sure the ES/EH series.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some interesting stuff here. I'm currently cleaning the Panasonic's spindle, already cleaned the Ilo, but think it's more than a spindle or laser (Dr Evil) thing with the Ilo. Tomorrow I should be receiving the new drive. Hopefully it works. I'm gonna have to look into the Magnavox as my other half works for Walmart and we get a 10% discount. Might have to do a site to store purchase. I really want the Panasonic to be revived for it is my only way of recording to DVD+R DL. I still think the Ilo had a better picture quality, it cleaned up an SLP recorded VHS tape pretty good. The Panasonic pic looks a little splotchy. Even in HQ mode.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Panasonic DMR-E20 from 2002, DMR-E55 from 2005 or so.....working.

Won't work with re-recordable media, but works with RAM....always did.

Just let old Magnavox go out for tests... still works.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes the old E series Panasonics were also very reliable, in fact it wasn't until '07 with the introduction of the EZ series(and also the '05 ES-40v and ES-20v) that Panasonics became so buggy.
    BTW the international Panasonics(and I believe) Pioneers will record to DL media but unfortunately not the Magnavox
    Personally for me I rarely use DL discs because I can get ~3hrs of good looking material on a standard DVD using FR. That's only with a clean source, with a noisy VHS source I wouldn't use anything less than 2hrs/SL DVD using SP or ~3 1/2 w/DL.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    The burner is dying. DL is first to go, as is RW media.
    Generally true, but unlikely with a Panasonic EZ-17. Panasonic issues with DL or RW are almost always dust-related spindle problems, but Panasonics also have a somewhat archaic reaction to "+" media of any kind: they don't like it much. Since the only decent DL media is the Verbatim +R variety, any minor wear issues in a Panasonic burner will be exaggerated by its use. Then there's the latest variable of Verbatim abandoning its exclusive AZO/MCC dye formula in recent consumer retail batches, instead selling the same generic CMC discs as TDK but in Verbatim packaging. If that trend spreads across the entire Verbatim product line, it will be no better than any other bargain-brand media.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I cleaned the EZ-17, reads a Verbatim DL or two, but not all. I guess it's a chance you take when buying blank media. I'll have to try DVD-Rs, I use DVD+Rs because my older players accept them better.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    UPDATE on the new burner install, It worked!!! Now, i just need to fashion a bracket to actually mount it inside the Ilo DVDR04. We have a Break at work, so I'll be able to bend/break it with no problem. Of course, it will be pretty thin gauge material. So it could be bent by hand over something with a 90 degree edge. If anyone is interested, I bought the Lite-On ihap122 from Newegg. I still say the Ilo had a better pic than the Panasonic. Thanks everyone here for their input. I always check this site at least once a day. I may have to buy an extra Lite-On.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
  19. *** VBot***

Newegg lists a ihap122-04 [IDE]-- [ NO ihap122 without the -04]

You say it worked Does it work on all [ALL] functions
    A number of drives are recognized but fail to work on all functions

No additional brackets are needed to install a desktop drive in a liteom/ilo

EDIT
    I would agree the hacked liteon /ilo does a very good job on VHSd

EDIT TO be more specific
    Some drives will operate on all functions [WHEN USING A BURNED DISK BUT W NOT A COMMERCIAL DISK]
    Last edited by LCSHG; 14th Jul 2010 at 17:20.
    Quote Quote  
  20. V Bot

WHY NO REPLY

To a simple question So I would consider the drive Does no work --[at least on all functions]
    I do have a good number of liteon drives [NEW in the bok for the liteon/ilo ] but was Just coutios Other users Might be interested
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'll let you know, anything specific you're interested in it's functions? As for what I've done with the new drive is record a VHS that I ran through a Color Corrector. Even though the new drive accepts DVD DL in a PC, it doesn't work in the Ilo as it was originally programmed not to record DVD DL. Anyway, I don't shy away from questions, I am busy working. Like I said I check this site just about every day. Get back with what you're interested in it doing and I'll help.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
  22. V Bot

Thanks For the reply but it didn’t answer the question. The liteon/ilo units never were DL and will not operate any faster than 1x and 4x with any drive.
    I didn’t realize I needed to spell out the functions So Will the drive operate correctly on all the functions The liteon/ilo had When NEW and with the original DDW drives. Such as FF, FR, Stop ,Pause, Chapter Advance, Play a burned or commercial l disk without a hang, requiring a restart.

I just would like to know if the drive will operate correctly on all functions. As when original
    THE liteon SHW160p and others are recognized but fail on FF, which is ok for some users. There are
    Some Ssony drives that were made by and clones of the liteon , also work. Some others were reliably reported to work on all functions.
    Unfortunately some sites report drives that work , Do but not on all functions and as said , thats ok for some use but many want a drive that works on all functions

Thanks for the offer to help ---Always looking for new ways
    I have replaced a large number of drive’s in the liteon/ilo

PS
    I still have many Original DDW drives Some that seem to work ok but I considered them unreliable I don’t know why, as they have the dame guts as the later ones and the Sony drives made by liteon. Could be its relation to the firmware

I don't sell drives or as a rule replace them but will try to g pass info
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Pal, you're asking for my input. There's no need to try and down talk. I need to know what you're looking for because I may not test that particular function, get it? Anyway, I will still help you out. You may not deal with people on an everyday basis. It's okay. I understand. Look at both of your last posts. (Why no reply/Spell it out).

If you read my previous post, you'd see that I know the Ilo doesn't work with DL. I was simply stating that a new burner with DL capabilities (IN A PC) still won't work on a unit not designed for that in the first place.

It works on ALL (That is ALL/EVERY ONE) functions.
    Last edited by V Bot; 25th Jul 2010 at 13:43.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote