VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi

I have been asked recently by my company to look at getting LCD TV setup in Reception on wall which we can stream Powerpoint from PC in office upstairs wireless to.

Does any one know the best and cheapest way to be able to do this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Probably would help if the details of the TV are known. Some of the newer TV's can accept streams without much involvement.
    Otherwise, you might just be able to use the SD card slot if it has one.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sorry don't have specfic make, as looking into which TV's are availble for this.

So ideally i need to have TV with in BUilt wireless and that can strean a powerpoint to wireless.

So after LCD TV that can do this and how it work exactly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You probably cannot stream powerpoint to the TVs. You can stream video, so you will have to convert - either prior on on-the-fly - the presentations to a video format the TV can play. Or do as we do, and have a PC connected via VGA so actual powerpoint presentations can be run.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by sebbie View Post
    Sorry don't have specfic make, as looking into which TV's are availble for this.

So ideally i need to have TV with in BUilt wireless and that can strean a powerpoint to wireless.

So after LCD TV that can do this and how it work exactly.
    If you actually do not have the TV yet, look into the new Samsung TV's that have ethernet built in. Take look here:
    http://www.samsung.com/us/pdf/dlna_guide.pdf
    There are probably other brands now as they had this feature last year. They did have a wireless adapter then also. It would probably be advisable to make the file a video instead of Powerpoint, as stated above.
    Quote Quote  
  6. That defeats the object as the TV will be in Reception which is not manned.

So we want pc upstairs to change the presentation without moving it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    we have lcd screen in reception areas of our theatre, connected by cat 5 from a computer in another area runnin gpowerpoint.

vga over cat5 is your best bet, depending on the distance you may need a booster along the way. that way you only need run a cheap small cat5 cable.
    Quote Quote  
  8. What kind of connections does the TV have? If it has VGA you can run a cable direct.
    Another option is converting PPT to MPEG and playing it on a DVD player so it will loop.
    http://www.geovid.com/presentation_to_video_converter
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hook up a wireless media player with a DLNA client (like the WDTV Live) to the TV. Convert your Powerpoint presentations to video files, then use a DLNA client (like Windows Media Center) to push the videos to the client.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Burn PowerPoint onto a DVD, then you can view the presentation on TV through a DVD player.
    The DVD slideshow GUI (freeware) can do this too.

Tutorial:
    http://www.blip.tv/file/3107809/
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    burning powerpoint to dvd is not much use if you need to update the presentation during the day, which would be fundamental for foyer type work, i still say run a cheapo cat 5 cable and get a vga to cat5 box

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=1&criteria=usb&ModuleNo=45472&C=SO&U=Strat15
    Quote Quote  
  12. Or wireless HDMI.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Right i need to push a powerpoint presentation to TV that will be in our reception down stairs.

PC will be based up stairs. The presentation will need updating for different customer that come in.

So would be helpful if people actually suggest and pointed me right direction regarding TV and parts would need to do this wireless?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    So would this work with streaming powerpoint presentation?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Assuming the distance is less than 10 metres and nothing in between is too obstructive (lots of electronics or steel frames may cause interference)
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  16. And assuming the presentation doesn't require very smooth animation or video. I haven't used that type of device but from everything I've read, they are limited to a few frames per second when running at HD resolutions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Could a SlingBox do this?
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  18. One would need the SlingCatcher at the TV :
    http://ca.slingmedia.com/go/slingcatcher-tech-specs
    But it could do the task, however requiring an investment in hardware and the SlingCatcher is expensive, evidently: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SlingCatcher-SLING-MEDIA-Sling-Catcher-SC100-NIB_W0QQitemZ1105...26995217860878
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, it's 5 years later and I found this thread. I am IT director for a small school. The director would like to put a flat screen on the wall and have an update-able powerpoint presentation on endless rotation displayed on the TV. This would be on the wall just outside the receptionists workspace. There's no spare ethernet around...

Here are two potential ways I think I can do this:

First -

1) use wireless HDMI extender between the wall-mounted TV (with onboard wifi and ethernet port in case I ever do bring a run to where the TV is) and the receptionist's computer so that the TV becomes a 'second monitor' associated with the receptionists' computer.

2) create, present the powerpoint presentation from the receptionist's computer and put it on the 'second monitor' so she can just use her computer and main monitor 'normally'.

Second -

1) use wireless HDMI extender between the wall-mounted TV and a dedicated computer .. the TV is still a 'monitor' associated with the computer but now it's not the receptionist's computer.. it's a dedicated standalone computer just for managing this slide show that gets periodically updated throughout the day.

Do either (or both) of these scenarios work?

Any recommendations on TVs or wireless HDMI extenders?

Many many thanks in advance!

Joshua
    Quote Quote  
  20. Use a NUC or other small form factor PC with HDMI output at the TV, and wireless networking to get powerpoint files to it and to control it.

Most wireless HDMI implementations are meant for short range transmission in the same room.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To add to what jagabo wrote, if you read reviews of the wireless HDMI systems, someone walking between the transmitter and receiver can disrupt reception.
    Quote Quote