VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I just bought a 8 GB Sandisk Cruzer USB Flash drive to play my xvid shows off of, but every time i plug it in, the dvd player wont recognize it, and sometimes when it does, it will just load the file and stay that way when i press play...

i have to plug then unplug the drive 4 or 5 times before it will work properly

are there any settings or software i need that im not aware of?

Please help me as i dont want to have to return the usb drive... im also wondering if Sandisk has a problem working on Philips players?

appreciate any advice
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My Sandisk 8GB works fine with my Philips 5990. About all I can suggest is to reformat it. Maybe with Swissknife: http://download.cnet.com/CompuApps-SwissKnife-V3/3000-2248_4-10070864.html

Do other USB drives work with no problems? Maybe the drive is defective.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have an 8 GB TDK thumb drive that works with no problems. Does the Sandisk drive have U3 software on it? If so, remove it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks guys... yes, it did have the U3 s'ware and i got rid of it right after i opened it up

i can try the reformat and see if that helps...

So what is the best way to use the USB w/ my dvd player?

Should i be turning on the player w/out a dvd in it, let it load to say "no disc" THEN plug in the flash drive? or should i have it plugged in before i power on the dvd player? it's just strange how it takes 4, 5, or 6 times of plugging this in to finally recognize it

quick update-- i reformatted it on windows but still does the same... i click on a video and it will just freeze.... but i plug this into my pc and works perfect... hmmm
    Last edited by bufbt; 5th Jul 2010 at 11:42.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by bufbt View Post
    Should i be turning on the player w/out a dvd in it, let it load to say "no disc" THEN plug in the flash drive? or should i have it plugged in before i power on the dvd player? it's just strange how it takes 4, 5, or 6 times of plugging this in to finally recognize it
    I just plug the thumbdrive in, whether there's a disc in the drive or not, whether the player is on or not (I have to turn the player on manually, it doesn't automatically switch on when the USB stick is inserted). If there is no disc in the drive it notices the USB flash drive when I plug it in and it automatically shows the file listing. If there's a disc in the drive I have to press the USB button on the remote. I'm running one of the mod firmwares but I think this behavior is the the factory firmware.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think I remember reading that a normal Windows format won't remove or have any effect on the U3 software (/partition?). I think using SwissKnife to reformat the drive may work (to get rid of the U3 software), but I'm not sure. Also, unfortunately, SwissKnife doesn't work under Vista or higher, IIRC.

I probably should ask if you're sure there's nothing about your videos the 5990 might not like, too.

I usually just plug in my pen drive when the player's on. It doesn't matter if there's a disc in the drive, as jagabo mentioned, as far as I know - just switch between the drives using the USB button on the remote. Of course, make sure to switch away from the USB drive when you want to unplug it from the 5990.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote