VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all! I have a bit of a problem - Whenever I burn my .avi and .srt files onto a DVD for some reason my DVD player displays the <i> </i> symbols. However, when playing the file on the computer there is no problem. Anyone have any ideas why this might be happening?

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hi and welcome to the forum.

an avi isn't a dvd spec(playable) file. some players will play divx but unless you know for sure yours does, stick to dvd. use something like avstodvd or purchase convertxtodvd.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The .srt format of subs is plaintext, and normally doesn't allow any sort of formatting (sizes, styles, location or font changes/effects). There's an unofficial 'extension' of .srt that supports formatting, by way of HTML codes, which is what your .srt may be, from the description.

As it's unofficial, few programs (that I'm aware of) support it, and hardware players (like standalone DVD players) most likely won't. If that's the type of .srt you have, you'll either have to strip all the HTML coding - or if your player supports another subtitle format that does support formatting, like .ssa/.ass, convert it to one of those formats.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    When i burn Xvid to dvd with .SRT subtitles, they work & display correctly with the <i> </i>, <b> </b>, ect.

In MPCHC, Power DVD 9 & on my standalone Philips dvd player which play's Xvids with .SRT subtitles.

Although they do not work in VLC, just plain text shows up, no italics or bold text, but it does not display the actual <i> </i> symbols/text either.

So i am not so sure Ai Haibara's answer/conclusion is correct.

One would assume you meant Xvid or Divx by "AVI" and you never said what make & model SA dvd player you have.
    It could be your dvd player just can't handle or display SRT subtitles with <i> </i> .

Much more specific details would be required for anyone to even begin to try and help you with conclusive answers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's what I meant, though. While the 'extended SRT' version isn't largely supported, those players that don't support it will still display the subtitles, but treat the HTML code as plain text. Some software/players do indeed seem to skip the tags, but I usually hear about the ones that don't.

...now, to try to remember what ELSE I forgot to include in my first reply... :P

(edit: For some reason, there's an extra appearing at the end of my post, and it doesn't show up when I'm editing the post. Wonder if it's just my browser. )

If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote