VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have a word file which is being used a list of particular items.
    There are many tables with multiple rows and columns.

Sometimes if I add to many lines of text to a row it will obviously make the table bigger and could extend it to the next page.
    No single table is a full page so that is not a problem that way....but each page will have multiple tables so the last one on a page can be a problem if it is to big.
    Is there an option I can set to stop a table from spanning 2 pages and automatically push that whole table to the next page if necessary?

I can put page breaks in manually but when I make future changes to the document (which will constantly be happening) then it can screw it up.

I figure there should be a simple way to do this maybe something similar to 'widows and orphans in typesetting'.

Any info? TIA!!

-Andy
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Select the rows (but not the last row) and go to Format -> Paragraph and choose "keep with next"

That will lock the lines together so they move to a new page if one of them falls over.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by byteguy View Post
    Select the rows (but not the last row) and go to Format -> Paragraph and choose "keep with next"

That will lock the lines together so they move to a new page if one of them falls over.

I am using Word 2007 ....I don't see how to do that in this version....

<<<edit>>>I found the option but had to select the whole table for it to work.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Goto Page Layout, click on Paragraphs, click the second tab, "Line and Page Breaks", click on "Keep with next". Should work.
    Last edited by PhoneMatt; 30th Jun 2010 at 17:59. Reason: forgot a word
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by PhoneMatt View Post
    Goto Page Layout, click on Paragraphs, click the second tab, "Line and Page Breaks", click on "Keep with next". Should work.
    I think rather it is Page Layout, Paragraphs, "Line & Page Breaks" - "Keep lines together" (or maybe BOTH this and the above).

You may also want to include clicking the + box table handle (top left corner of any table) and right-clicking. Go to "Properties", 2nd tab "ROW", uncheck "Allow to break across pages".
    This will keep a SINGLE ROW from being split as well.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    I hate hate hate tables in Word..if you just need tables use Excel. Word formatting is also a frustrating exercise..throw in some bullets and numbering for a thrill.
    Quote Quote