VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys, I'm looking to downsize a MKV file to a XviD AVI.

I've already used MKVExtract GUI to extract the h264 video file and AC3 audio. I then used avc2avi to put the video in an AVI container.

However when I go to open this AVI in VirtualDub Mod I just get the following error message:

"Coludn't locate decompressor for format 'h264' (unknown)."

The strange thing is I have already set the ffdshow VFW Configuration to decode H.264 with libvacodec.

I've read that the most likely thing for my error is that ffdshow isn't actually being used for whatever reason, but I'm new to all this and don't know what to do to get it working. Please can someone advise me on what to do?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would instead mk2avi, mkvconvert, xmedia recode or format factory.

Or try latest virtuldub instead of the old virtualdubmod.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When using the new Virtualdub...

Here is a brief explanation of how to use the input plugin system to open some file formats that VirtualDub doesn't handle natively.

WMV, M2TS/MTS, MP4 and Matroska (and potentially many other types) via DirectShow

Requirements:
    DirectShow input driver (place this in .\VirtualDub\plugins\)
    Haali Media Splitter (for MP4, M2TS/MTS and Matroska)
    ffdshow-tryouts (for MP4, M2TS/MTS and Matroska)

All you have to do is simply open the file in VirtualDub like you normally would. In case your file doesn't show up, select 'All files (*.*)' from the file type list and after selecting your file, select 'DirectShow input driver' from the file types list.
    Quote Quote  
  4. ok thanks for the help guys, i've now been able to do what i set out to achieve
    Quote Quote