VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings,

While the PCH A200 was acquired very recently for easy access to family movies ( both VHS transferred to DVD and mini DV transferred as AVI on the PC ), I soon realized this device could also facilitate access to my collection of honestly and legally purchased DVD's ( both movie and life music performances). After endless hours of trial and error , DVD Fab Passkey 7 and DVD Schrink 3.2 ( select main movie, surround audio,no compression and local language subtitles) proved a consistent and fast duo ( < 10 min for a 7 Gb main movie title ) for transferring from DVD to PC. ( VOB/IFO format).
    DVD Schrink compression being equally fast did not provide an acceptable quality. Other recoding tools ( handbrake for example ) are maxing out my 4 core Intel Core I7 860 for about 20 minutes as result of a full recode from mpeg2 to x264 into mkv container.

Here is the question - after this long preamble :

Any tools out there for simply (!) transcoding mpeg2 into something smaller, comparable to DVD Schrink , but better quality.

Where I got so far : used Rejig to achieve 50 % size reduction on video stream, splitting the video into .m2v and audio into .dts file.
    Subtitles are not extracted...
    How can I remux it all together ( schrinked mpeg2 + dts audio + subtitles ) ?

Thanks in advance for suggestions and recommendations.
    Periculum in mora
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by b1tbull View Post
    Any tools out there for simply (!) transcoding mpeg2 into something smaller, comparable to DVD Schrink , but better quality.
    First find out what formats your PCH A200 can play.

Quite likely more recent formats can be used with higher compression for similar quality.

However, any transcoding will take much longer than simply extracting MPEG2 from a DVD.

Where I got so far : used Rejig to achieve 50 % size reduction on video stream, splitting the video into .m2v and audio into .dts file.
    Subtitles are not extracted...
    How can I remux it all together ( schrinked mpeg2 + dts audio + subtitles ) ?
    Rejig should extract subtitles from the DVD.
    It converts them to SUP format.

Otherwise, Rejig can also author a simple DVD from these files, without menu, the movie just plays.
    Click the "DVD author" button.

If you want a single file, maybe make this into an ISO.

If you want menus, use something like GFD.

I'd look at how big the DTS audio was. I'd prefer to transcode and mix that to AC3 stereo at a lower bitrate than to reduce video quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Alan,

Thanks for the feedback.
    I do not care about the menus and like the size/quality obtained with Rejig, but subtitles are not extracted ???
    Any other tools out there to extract them ?
    The Popcorn Hour A200 plays anything ( besides the kitchen sink )...
    Iso would be fine , if only I could get the pieces back together after shrinking the main movie.
    I do want to keep decent surround so DTS is fine - size overhead is minimal compared to video stream.
    Periculum in mora
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Alan,

Thanks for the feedback.
    I do not care about the menus and like the size/quality obtained with Rejig, but subtitles are not extracted ???
    Yes it does.
    See below, select them from the "streams".

Any other tools out there to extract them ?
    PGCdemux.
    DVDsubedit.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	subs.png
Views:	158
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	2512  

Quote Quote