VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I just purchased this two nights ago, and was happy so far. I went to another forum and was told I was stupid for buying this because I could of use DVDFab or DVD Shrink for free to convert my DVD's to a TS Video Folder with a vob files there. Plus if my DVD's are encrypted I cant even use the program.

I thought this program was a way to extract the video file contain inside the DVD without a loss in quality. I see DVD Shrink "shrinks" the DVD to DVD5 or DVD9 standards, thus resulting in a less quality. VOB2MPG out puts a raw mpg file that I think has no quality loss what so ever.

Should I ask for a refund, or does having and using this program make more sense in terms of getting the EXACT quality that the DVD contains. Also are there any free applications I can run to remove the DVD encryption. This is my personal library I'm trying to preserve.

Thanks in Advance,
    Last edited by cowboyup910; 30th Jun 2010 at 05:59.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well DVD Shrink will give you a VIDEO_TS folder - if that is what you want. With VOB2MPG you are right - there is no quailty loss. Your call really in terms of what it is you want... There are a number of tools in the VideoHelp tools section which offer free decryption.

As for a refund - I was told I was stupid for betting on England to win the World Cup..... No refund for me....
    SVCD2DVD v2.5, AVI/MPEG/HDTV/AviSynth/h264->DVD, PAL->NTSC conversion.
    VOB2MPG PRO, Extract mpegs from your DVDs - with you in control!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    cowboyup910,

I think I can answer your question to your satisfaction, if ChrissyBoy doesn't mind. VOB2MPG is a wonderful program for those like me who wish to watch movies directly from your HDD through your PS3, or through the USB on your HDTV, without having to worry about the hiccups that are usually caused by VOBs; because VOBs in essence are not completely free of playback issues when used in this manner. In this respect, VOB2MPG is THE BEST program I have seen, free or paid, for this purpose and ChrissyBoy deserves all of the revenue he can accrue from it.

If, however, you merely wish to find a free program that breaks encryption, I would highly recommend DVDFab HD Decrypter, which you should primarily use to copy the entire contents of the DVD to your HDD. It's the most preferred method as their individual chapter method sometimes produces erratic results that don't bypass all of the encrypted files (Make sure you keep the link for DVDFab HD Decrypter handy because they constantly update it with new versions to tackle the latest copy protection schemes).

With those files created by DVDFab HD Decrypter now on your HDD, if you need to extract either just the movie alone, and/or shrink it to fit correctly on a DVD, or you merely just want a snippet of it, this is where DVD Shrink becomes invaluable. To me it is also THE BEST program in it's class when you want only specific scenes from a movie or disc, especially when you use it conjunction with other programs like the aforementioned DVDFab HD Decrypter.

As I said before, at this stage, your movie should be where you want it, size and all, but if you still need to be able to watch it through a device like the PS3 or through the USB connection to your HDTV, this is where VOB2MPG comes in handy and is unsurpassed in speed and quality.

Last edited by SuperFist; 4th Jul 2010 at 12:07.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    thats exactly what i do. i RIP entire DVD to my computer and i set the program to DVD9 (using DVDFab HD Decrypter), so i can keep all its quality. then i use DVD Shrink and only re-author the DVD, maintaining the main title and i choose 'NO COMPRESSION'.

finally i encode to a smaller size with handbrake.

i just wish i knew first, lol. before i bought VOB2MPG PRO.
    Last edited by cowboyup910; 4th Jul 2010 at 18:40.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    PM me if you would like a refund
    SVCD2DVD v2.5, AVI/MPEG/HDTV/AviSynth/h264->DVD, PAL->NTSC conversion.
    VOB2MPG PRO, Extract mpegs from your DVDs - with you in control!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by cowboyup910 View Post
    You are also degrading quality of the video by using handbrake....the quality of the video WILL
    be less than it was before. Did the same person who told you that VOB2MPEG decrypts copy-protected
    DVDs also tell you that you can "encode to a smaller file size" without quality loss?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    You are also degrading quality of the video by using handbrake....the quality of the video WILL
    be less than it was before. Did the same person who told you that VOB2MPEG decrypts copy-protected
    DVDs also tell you that you can "encode to a smaller file size" without quality loss?

of course it loses some of its quality, but its by far less when i used fair use wizard or encoding using a dixv or xvid
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post

of course it loses some of its quality, but its by far less when i used fair use wizard or encoding using a dixv or xvid
    Fair Use Wizard can also encode to H264/X264.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    yep and the quality was horrible at my preferred target size 700MB. i tried for several months using different programs different encoders with different titles, and i was just shared what worked for me.
    Quote Quote