VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I have a Toshiba RD-XV47 video recorder which allows me to to record or transfer TV onto its HDD, or onto DVD or VHS media. There does not appear to be a USB socket for transferring data from its internal HDD to an external HDD.

I mainly record MotoGP races and I have quite a collection going back 2-3 years but now the Toshiba's internal HDD is almost full.

How can I copy or transfer these recordings to a low-cost external HDD?

I know that I could transfer them in real-time onto DVDs and then copy them from these DVDs onto an external HDD but this would be extremely time-consuming .

Thanks for your help and advice.

Ray
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Short answer is that you cannot. These devices are primarily designed to allow you to record to DVD only. They use proprietary disk formats to make them difficult to read, so you can't just pull the disk out, plug it into a PC, copy off the files, then put it back. If the unit does not have a simple transfer mechanism, then the simplest solution is to burn to DVD or delete older material. The amount of time you will waste trying to find and alternative solution will be better spend with a handful of DVD-RW discs transfering the material off the drive.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Gunslinger,

Thanks for your fast response proving that you really do live up to your strap-line.

I half expected that would be the answer. The Tosh was the first HDD video recorder I have bought (mainly for its versatility) but I overlooked the need to connect to an external HDD. For this reason, I wouldn't buy another without this feature.

Is there an HDD video recorder you know that DOES allow transfer to an external HDD?

Ray
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't seen many, and none by name brands. The move more recently is away from DVD recorders and towards PVRs. Some of these support the ability to either transfer material from their own internal HDD to a USB drive, or to use portable USB drives for recording instead of having internal drives. I don't know what UK brands support this type of feature though.

There may be a solution for the Toshiba, but you will have to dig into some of the more hard-core forums and be prepared to do things to your machine that will void the warranty.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Gunslinger,

I shall research things more here in the UK. I have read of a low-cost Digital Flat-Screen TV that records TS files direct onto USB Memory Sticks and USB external HDDs. Maybe I'll upgrade my office TV to this and record from that TV.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Ray
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by raybattersby View Post
    Is there an HDD video recorder you know that DOES allow transfer to an external HDD?
    The Tivo brand of DVR will do this.

Tivo will allow you to transfer some high definition recordings over to your PC and it will allow you to transfer all standard definition recordings to your PC.

For me personally...... I record shows on my Tivo. Then transfer them to my PC. Then I offload that content to an external hard drive(a 2 terabyte drive).

I never have to worry about running out of recording space. I have archived tons of sporting events over the years.

This solution works very smoothly and easily for me. Let me know if you would like any more details.

TC
    My Dell PC system info.....3.4 Ghz Quad Core i7 processor....... 12 gigs of ram DDR3...... Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.......video card Nvidia GTX 650
    Quote Quote  
  7. What model TIVO is that TC?

Also, Panasonic dvd recorders have dvd writers as do some other dvd recorders.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pretty much any Tivo in use today will allow transfers.

The original Tivo was called "Series 1" and it was made back in 1998 or so. Then Tivo started making "Series 2" models sometime around 1999. Then Tivo came out with Series 3 and a few other newer models. Anything that is Series 2 or newer will definitely allow transfers. I am not sure about those ancient Series 1 models.

If anyone is serious about going the Tivo route I would highly recommend it. You do have to spend a little extra money but it is well worth it. To do transfers you need a software add on which is a one time fee of $25. Also, there is some video editing software called Video Redo which is super easy to use and it will allow you to strip out any unwanted content(such as commercials). You can get VideoRedo for approximately 75 dollars.

For me I simply transfer the shows off my Tivo to my PC, edit out the commercials, and then store them. My PC is connected directly to my TV so it is very, very easy to find any file and play it back.

The picture looks fine. In fact, some people have told me that they cannot tell any difference between my recorded content vs live TV.

I do not know if I am explaining this very well but it is indeed quite simple once you get the hang of it.

TC
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That doesn't sound right to me. TiVo is largely a locked system, and it's hard to transfer files over, from what I've seen through the years. Maybe something has recently changed, but that would be it.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by raybattersby View Post
    I know that I could transfer them in real-time onto DVDs and then copy them from these DVDs onto an external HDD but this would be extremely time-consuming .
    Are you sure it has to be realtime? The Pioneers I've worked with do higher speed burns from HDD to DVD... though I don't know anything about that Toshiba.

Of course you might also have the problem of programs on the HDD that don't fit on a single DVD if they're particularly long and you'd have to bring them over in pieces.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Tivo is not a locked system. Hell it's open source. You can transfer over your files with software like kmttg or directly from a web browser using your tivo.com password and media access key (available by viewing your account at tivo.com). To transfer files from a tivo you need to network your tivo and computer either wirelessly or with ethernet.

I love my TiVo HD. Shortly after getting it I upgraded the hard drive from 160GB to 500GB. You can go higher if you want but 500 was enough for me.

The only things that you can't transfer are when shows are marked with a copyright restriction flag. Some cable pay channels flag their content that way and then you can't transfer it. Doesn't affect me as I don't have cable. Only broadcast TV for me.

@True Colors
    You can accomplish what tivo desktop can do and more with free software and not have to pay that $25 to tivo. Kmttg can easily transfer your files from your tivo to your computer and pytivo will serve any video that ffmpeg can handle to your tivo. Granted it does take a little bit of effort getting it set up right but after you get it set up you don't have to mess with it again.
    Last edited by freebird73717; 30th Jun 2010 at 13:04. Reason: added more info
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    That doesn't sound right to me. TiVo is largely a locked system, and it's hard to transfer files over, from what I've seen through the years. Maybe something has recently changed, but that would be it.
    Sorry, but you are way off on this one. Perhaps you are thinking of something other than Tivo.

Tivo is open. Very open. In fact, I am unaware of any other video recorder on the market which allows you to transfer recorded content from your DVR to your PC as easily and freely as Tivo does. Once you get the software installed it is literally a simple matter of performing a few clicks to transfer content from a Tivo to your PC.

For high definition TV recordings, some things are blocked by Tivo from being transferred.

For standard definition TV recordings you can transfer anything that you want. I have at least 100 archived shows to prove this.

At one time I had the same problem as the original poster. I started using Tivo to record my shows and transfer them to my PC. Then transfer those files onto a terabyte drive. It works very smoothly and easily and I have not had a single problem with storage space since then. To be honest with you I never even think about storage space any more. It's just not an issue. It will probably take me a few years to fill up this TB external drive.

TC
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    True Colors use kmttg to transfer your files and you will be able to transfer HD shows just fine. I do it all the time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Tivo has the software to interface with the DVR available on their website. I use a netbook and connect via the router to the tivo - transfer the recordings to an external HDD after testing playback.

The downside: The older series 2 that I have records best quality at 480x480 - the only way to directly make a playable DVD without re-encoding is VideoReDo, all the others re-encode to 720x480.

Not certain how the high-def tivos do their thing - but my local cable isn't HD.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  15. My Humax 9200T Freeview PVR has a USB socket for transferring recordings to a PC but only at USB 1 speeds - VERY slow. It was also picky as to which USB chipsets it would work reliably with. There is a well documented and fairly easy mod that you can do to it to bypass the built-in USB and transfer at USB 2.0 speeds but it does invalidate the warranty (although it's easy to reverse.)

Why doesn't the OP just get a Freeview or Freesat tuner for his PC / laptop? I've used several Hauppauge tuners over the years and still use my ageing PVR150 for capturing from the Sky+ box downstairs (works a treat in 64-bit Win 7!) and my Nova-T USB2 Freeview tuner as a backup to my Humax. A digital PVR straight onto your computer. It's then easy enough to edit out ads etc. and either author to disk, save to disk, or re-encode to more efficient format and keep without taking up as much space.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was actually hoping to be wrong on this one.

There were many issues with TiVo some 5-6 years ago, and I've not paid attention much recently.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  17. Tivo stock price was $20 in May, it's just $7.25 today. I wonder how long it's going to last?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Isn't TIVO and Dishnetwork in a lawsuit over patent infringement? There are rumors that Dish may buy TIVO? If dish buys TIVO what happens to all the TIVO's out there?
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wulf109 View Post
    Isn't TIVO and Dishnetwork in a lawsuit over patent infringement? There are rumors that Dish may buy TIVO? If dish buys TIVO what happens to all the TIVO's out there?
    Good question. There was also this

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/320713-FCC-allows-blocking-of-set-top-box-outputs

which has at least the potential to become the beginning of the end for non-cable-or-sat-supplied devices that record -- not just Tivo.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The DVD recorder is a dead option,none will record in anamorphic if you can even find one. The DVR option is not liked by Hollywood and will probably dis-appear over the next few years.
    Last edited by wulf109; 1st Jul 2010 at 18:02.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yep. Dish copied tivo. Dish lost. They are now appealing.

http://www.von.com/news/2010/03/court-slaps-dish-hard-in-tivo-patent-lawsuit.aspx

I've heard no rumors of dish buying tivo.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If memory serves me, I had one of those Tosh's. In the end, I could not turn it on without a VHS tape being present, could not get ANY dvd-R's that it would accept and it would only accept 2X and pure 2X dvd-RW which are also rare beasts. And it only dubs from HDD to disk in real-time - at least the Sony I now have will let me dub a whole dvd in 10 minutes.

I do not know any low price solution that you seek - even $ky recorders do not have such a function so will only re-record in real time.

There are sat receivers with built-in (optional) HDDs called Dreambox that will allow you to connect a lan cable and transfer the recording (ts files) from it to your PC quite quickly.

But just a quick thought (probably wrong on this) but aren't the USB interfaces on dvd-recorders meant for input and not output ?
    Quote Quote  
  23. This is all quite frustrating but thanks for your ideas. From what I've read, you must all be bigger whizz-kids than me. That's an interesting discussion about TIVO which seems to be a dead duck here in the UK (although I think they've just announced a new one).

I have a feeling that this inability to move files across to an external hard disc at USB2 speeds is all about media industry suits not wanting to release control of their programmes. Like King Canute, they think they can stop the tide of technology.

They're wrong.

One day, some bright little company will provide the gizmo to do it, make a killing and the rest will be forced to follow suit.

All I want to do is plug a portable USB HDD into a DVR and transfer the recordings across - but not at real-time speeds. I mean, a HDD inside a DVR is surely the same basic beast that's inside a PC isn't it? So all we're talking of here is an interface. And if it's not hardware the issue must be industry politics.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's the unique OS and formatting that makes transfers next to impossible,not the hardware. I have a Dish 211HD receiver with an external USB HD and my computer won't even recognize the the drive let alone see the OS and files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No one will 'invent' this as there would not be seen to be a sufficient demand for it to be adopted as a standard. The Dreambox is as close as you will get as that also has its own OS (linux) built-in.

Your typical user will record to the internal HDD (which is only intended to be temporary storage - if that failed tomorrow you would be fooked) and if he wants to keep something on a little more permanent basis he will dub it to dvd.

The unit (Dreambox) I mentioned is not your typical device. It is more aimed at enthusiasts - again, the typical user would have a problem converting those .ts files to something more standard. Not that I am suggesting for one minute that a .ts file is not standard but it is something that a typical user would not comprehend. And even that has a limitation. I believe that one can only record a maximum of 4 gig per .ts file
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The DVD recorder is a dead option,none will record in WS if you can even find one.
    Not true - my 3 year old Pioneer happily records anamorphic widescreen if that is what you feed it
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Model number?

Anamorphic or WS letterboxed?
    Quote Quote  
  28. RECORDING TO USB DEVICES

Further research has identified a Freeview Device that includes 3 x USB slots for recording TV programmes onto USB devices such as memory sticks AND also USB HDDs (provided all are formatted to FAT32). The recordings can also be played on TV or on PC/Laptops etc.

The device is sold in the UK under two brand-names; the Grundig GUDB20USB3 and the Digital Vision GiGo DV-DTR1 USB PVR. It costs as little as 60 POUNDS STERLING from Tesco (http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.206-1980.aspx)

Here are some informative links:

Technical review of Digital Vision GiGo DV-DTR1 USB: http://www.reghardware.com/2009/07/24/review_digital_video_recorder_digital_vision_gigo_dv_dtr1/

Amazon Customer Reviews of GiGo device: http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B002P8R74M/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

PLAY.COM Reviews of Grundig Device: http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/11700791/Grundig-GUDB20USB3-Digital-Fre...1|cat:Freeview

My only concern is that there is NO DIGITAL TV SIGNAL where I live so I use SKY to receive digital channels. Can this device be connected to my TV/SKY box setup to record to an external USB HDD? If it can, this is a very low-cost solution for my needs.

I'll let you know if I ever find out.

There are also a number of LCD TVs sold as FOEHN & HIRSCH (e-Buyer.com brand-name) and TECHNIKA (Tesco brand-name) that can record TV onto USB memory sticks. Whether they can record to USB External HDDs is unclear.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looking at the connections you can.......

But you would achieve this by connecting an RF (aerial) cable from the $ky Box to this unit. Now there are two caveats to this. Firstly, the box may be expecting a digital signal down the RF wire and the $ky box will no doubt be outputting an analogue signal. Secondly, the RF signal will be quite poor so you lose most, if not all, the benefits of the digital transmission. I also doubt if you could use the scart sockets on this as they are probably wired for output only.

So my analysis of this is (partially) possible but impractical.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Thanks DB83.

Mmm! Should I rush down to Tescos and buy one now? Maybe I'll sleep on it first.

TV is one technical area that's still a bit of a black hole for me. I've designed engines and three dimensional camshafts but SCARTs and HD etc? Far too complex. And one rule I've learned is if something is VERY complex, it'll be unreliable. Or...there's somebody determined to shroud the simplicity with complex jargon and hardware.
    Quote Quote