VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi have a Pionner DVR 640 - the dvd part is cactus- wont even read any CDs/DVDs - have tried cleaning the laser manually using a cotton wool bud dipped in 'Ethanol but still no go. I can get my hands on a DVR 630H - would the DVD in that unit fit in the DVR 640? so i wont lose any recorded programs on the hard drive in the 640H.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by justmehere2010 View Post
    Hi have a Pionner DVR 640 - the dvd part is cactus- wont even read any CDs/DVDs - have tried cleaning the laser manually using a cotton wool bud dipped in 'Ethanol but still no go. I can get my hands on a DVR 630H - would the DVD in that unit fit in the DVR 640? so i wont lose any recorded programs on the hard drive in the 640H.
    Good question. My guess would be No . . . but you'd have to ask someone like Orsetto, for the definitive answer. The 63x series was problematic for a few reasons, and I believe that component (although it also does DL) may be different. I just saw at least one "low-mileage" 640 up on eBay, within the last couple days. It wasn't cheap either, but I'm glad I put aside a spare 640 (lightly used) back when I had the chance.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I believe this is the DVR-530H-S 630H-S service manual:
    http://www.filestube.com/db7608037aa6aa5b03e9/details.html

You may like to compare the part number and interface type with your own.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The burners in the x30 series are not compatible with the x40 series chassis and cannot be interchanged.

The x40 burners are one-off oddball proprietary burners made by Sony, there is no way to replace them short of genuine Pioneer or Sony service centers, which will charge an obscene amount of money- it is cheaper to buy a new recorder. The final recorders marketed by Pioneer before they went out of the business were the 560 series and the LX series. Some stores still have stock of the Sony x80 and x90 series, which are operationally the same as the Pioneers except for lacking the DVD-RAM recording option.

As seeker47 noted, the Pioneer x30 series can be problematical, although this is more of an issue with the North American units. If you live in a PAL country, and can obtain a good-condition Pioneer 530 or 630 at a good price, it can be a good choice. The USA/Canada 531-533-633 variants are a very bad risk.
    Quote Quote