VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I was curious what h264 originally stood for and was surprised it was not in the glossary. I ended up on wikipedia for a summary on h264. This is a bit odd since divx is listed in the glossary I thought h264 would be as well.

Anyway it is just a suggestion. Fyi anyone interested this is the article I found on wikipedia:

Originally Posted by wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H264

The H.264 name follows the ITU-T naming convention, where the standard is a member of the H.26x line of VCEG video coding standards; the MPEG-4 AVC name relates to the naming convention in ISO/IEC MPEG, where the standard is part 10 of ISO/IEC 14496, which is the suite of standards known as MPEG-4. The standard was developed jointly in a partnership of VCEG and MPEG, after earlier development work in the ITU-T as a VCEG project called H.26L. It is thus common to refer to the standard with names such as H.264/AVC, AVC/H.264, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, or MPEG-4/H.264 AVC, to emphasize the common heritage. The name H.26L, referring to its ITU-T history, is less common, but sometimes still encountered. Occasionally, it is also referred to as "the JVT codec", in reference to the Joint Video Team (JVT) organization that developed it. (Such partnership and multiple naming is not uncommon.
    P.S. - you don't have to use this definition of course but it was at least one that satisfied my curiosity. Thanks.

Edit - I guess technically this could be addendum to the mpeg4 definition that i do see is listed in the glossary. However it does not seem to include all of this so perhaps the mpeg4 definition could be updated or augmented as well?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks jagabo.

Perhaps all that would be needed would be a circular reference link to "see avc" definition then?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote