VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do I rip a DVD to a 740 or 1080. Does DVD come as 740 or 1080 format? Do I need a special program? I am a little confused, about HD vs standard DVD format. Thx in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD is standard definition. NTSC DVD is 720 x 480, and PAL is 720 x 576. See What is DVD top left corner for more details. Bluray is 1080 HD. You cannot rip DVD to HD.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've never tried this but if you back up the file that's 720 or 1080 to a dvd as data and play it back on an upscaling dvd player or blu-ray player, it should be able to play at that definition. Though I'm not 100% sure of this.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nouseforaname View Post
    I've never tried this but if you back up the file that's 720 or 1080 to a dvd as data and play it back on an upscaling dvd player or blu-ray player, it should be able to play at that definition. Though I'm not 100% sure of this.
    You can not play 720p or 1080p video on any upscaling dvd player and very few if any blu-ray player i know of will play 720 and 1080 on a dvd as data,some will play m2ts and mkv thru usb.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnso
    very few if any blu-ray player i know of will play 720 and 1080 on a dvd as data,some will play m2ts and mkv thru usb.
    There's always avchd.

And fyi the ps3 will play a raw m2ts file as is off a dvdr or dl disc.

But if the original poster is thinking they can simply rip a dvd and magically make it a bluray than no it can't be done. You can author dvd into bluray with some work but it won't magically be high def. It will just be in a bluray format.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Originally Posted by nouseforaname View Post
    You can not play 720p or 1080p video on any upscaling dvd player and very few if any blu-ray player i know of will play 720 and 1080 on a dvd as data,some will play m2ts and mkv thru usb.
    My upscaling dvd player can upscale to 720 or even 1080p. And I know that the PS3 does upscale dvds to whatever you like as well. I know you know what upscaling is obviously. All it does is stretches the original video to 720 or 1080p. I do agree with the fact that you're saying 720 or 1080p videos will not play back on an upscaling dvd player.

Like I said, I wasn't sure of it myself. The videos I watch at 720 are all .mkv and my dvd player doesn't support that media extention. I just stick with the 720 or 1080 on my computer.

EDIT: Oh right. I'm sure you guys have heard of this but I've never used it. There's some sort of media player you can connect directly to your tv. All you do is back up whatever files to an external hard drive and connect it to the media player. Plays all formats from what I've heard.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Along these lines. Instead of starting a new thread. I have a huge dvd file that I would rather not squish down. Even to put it on a DL-DVD I'd have to encode it. So I thought I would just convert the DVD files in AVS to Blu-ray. Should I go 720p or 1080p. Yes, I realize the resolution is not gained but does either conversion yield better results.
    Don't give in to DVD2ONE, that leads to the dark side.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If this 'huge' dvd file is over 8.5 gig it can hardly, IMO, be called a dvd. Unless it has some quirky copy-protection creating an illusion of more files that fit even on a DL disk.

Re-encoding mpeg-2 loses quality. Even pumping up the bitrate as necessary for a 'hard' up-scale will still result in quality loss. Higher bitrate at 720p could give marginally better visual quality than the same bitrate at 1080p simply due to less pixels being created. Others may differ.

But.....

A good up-scaling player will still do a better job than your own 'hard' up-scale.

Just my 2 cents.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Marco33 View Post
    Along these lines. Instead of starting a new thread. I have a huge dvd file that I would rather not squish down. Even to put it on a DL-DVD I'd have to encode it. So I thought I would just convert the DVD files in AVS to Blu-ray. Should I go 720p or 1080p. Yes, I realize the resolution is not gained but does either conversion yield better results.
    You've been a member since 2002 and have over 1000 posts yet somehow (my problem, I admit) I don't recall seeing you ever post here. You must know how we feel about grave robbing and you still thought it was a great idea. Okay....

DVD video is valid for BluRay. Technically the spec seems to demand interlaced video for 480 content, although some authoring tools will let you do 480p any way. I can't prove it, but I do think I've actually seen 480p content in a BluRay I ripped a couple of years ago, but I don't remember which one (one of the Battlestar Galactica ones). You could just make a BluRay with your video using a simple tool like tsmuxer GUI to do it. If you have to upconvert, I'd recommend going to 720p, but such upconversions are usually not too good. But you can try and see what you think.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Along these lines. Instead of starting a new thread. I have a huge dvd file that I would rather not squish down. Even to put it on a DL-DVD I'd have to encode it. So I thought I would just convert the DVD files in AVS to Blu-ray. Should I go 720p or 1080p. Yes, I realize the resolution is not gained but does either conversion yield better results.
    You've been a member since 2002 and have over 1000 posts yet somehow (my problem, I admit) I don't recall seeing you ever post here. You must know how we feel about grave robbing and you still thought it was a great idea. Okay....

DVD video is valid for BluRay. Technically the spec seems to demand interlaced video for 480 content, although some authoring tools will let you do 480p any way. I can't prove it, but I do think I've actually seen 480p content in a BluRay I ripped a couple of years ago, but I don't remember which one (one of the Battlestar Galactica ones). You could just make a BluRay with your video using a simple tool like tsmuxer GUI to do it. If you have to upconvert, I'd recommend going to 720p, but such upconversions are usually not too good. But you can try and see what you think.
    Most of my posts are from back in the day when backing up your disk was more difficult.

Why not report my post to a real MOD and let them decide if I’m “Grave Robbing”.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's just weird because this post is years old. I received an email saying I got a reply and I'm like wtf? I've not been on here in a long time.

Well, whatever. Hope you got your problem resolved.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    If it is actually DVD-video, you don't have to re-encode it to put it into Blu-ray format. Most DVD-video is already compliant to the specifications of Blu-ray, it will just remain standard definition, with no visual quality loss. The only exceptions to this are DVD's that use MP2 audio. The subtitles from DVD's work ok in the few examples of this conversion that I've made.

Since you have only the one DVD, use DVDtoBD Express to repackage the movie into Blu-ray format.

If you were making a compilation disc, using several movies, you could make an oversized DVD in AVStoDVD, then import this into DVDtoBD Express. BD Rebuilder has also recently added the ability to make a compilation output with a menu, but I haven't tried it with DVD input, only Blu-ray.
    Edit: Oops, I did make one in BD Rebuilder using the 4 Bourne DVDs...forgot about that one.
    Last edited by Kerry56; 8th Feb 2014 at 15:09.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Many DVDs are actually NOT to Blu-ray specs.
    It only supports 720x480 resolution.

I'll be looking into an xBD type option in the future, to see if 352 and 704 is possible.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Should have said full resolution DVDs are compliant to Blu-ray specs. 720 x 576 is also Blu-ray compliant. See http://www.blu-raydisc.com/assets/Downloadablefile/BD-ROM-AV-WhitePaper_110712.pdf
    Not all Blu-ray players support 50i playback, especially those sold in the US.

I was thinking of commercially made DVDs, and they are almost always 720 x 480 or 720 x 576, depending on NTSC or PAL format.
    Last edited by Kerry56; 9th Feb 2014 at 11:12.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can't "rip" it to HD, though you can convert it to an HD format. However, it's never going to be better video quality than the original source which is standard DVD. It will just be a different format. Most bluray players upconvert standard DVDs to a reasonable HD quality, so I don't know why you would want to.
    I love children, girl children... about 16-40
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

A good up-scaling player will still do a better job than your own 'hard' up-scale.

Just my 2 cents.
    I don't want to get involved but I've posted here before about the upscaling so I just wanted to say something again. I agree 100% with what DB83. It saves a ton of time, it won't be blu-ray great but you will noticed a great difference from playing a dvd in an upscaling dvd player compared to playing one normally.

If you want a very dependable, very sleek looking upscaling dvd player with the capability to upscale to 1080p via HDMI, I suggested looking into Oppo. I own one -- it was pricy back then but who knows how much they cost now. It may not be true 1080p but the fact it has HDMI is very useful since tvs now don't have many composite or component input. It's cheaper than a PS3 for sure but you won't be able to play any games
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by ricoman View Post
    You can't "rip" it to HD, though you can convert it to an HD format. However, it's never going to be better video quality than the original source which is standard DVD. It will just be a different format. Most bluray players upconvert standard DVDs to a reasonable HD quality, so I don't know why you would want to.
    Agreed but let's say I have about 10G of DVD format video I want on one disk. Lose quality to shrink it to a Dl-DVD or possible video loss when converted to Blu-ray. I know how to go to DL-DVD so for my knowledge I would try to get it on Blu-ray and decide for myself.

Currently I'm fixing the 16x9 flag problem with Ifoedit. Next problem Bd-Express seems to have trouble with the sound. Isn't any even though is shows it converted it and the file is there, problem for another time.

BTW, thanks for chiming in everybody.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Agreed but let's say I have about 10G of DVD format video I want on one disk. Lose quality to shrink it to a Dl-DVD or possible video loss when converted to Blu-ray. I know how to go to DL-DVD so for my knowledge I would try to get it on Blu-ray and decide for myself.

Currently I'm fixing the 16x9 flag problem with Ifoedit. Next problem Bd-Express seems to have trouble with the sound. Isn't any even though is shows it converted it and the file is there, problem for another time.

BTW, thanks for chiming in everybody.
    I'd just put whatever files larger than 10gb on a blu-ray disc since it wouldn't be compressed as it would be on a dual layer dvd.

Just curious... but doesn't everyone here have lcds? I mean they have media ports on the back/side now so that you can just plug a usb stick in and play the video directly, losing no video loss depending on the format.

OR... and this is very unrealistic, you can steal the projector from a movie theatre and take that home since the resolution is way beyond 1080p lol That'll solve everyone's problem here. Or having free money thrown off a building.

Good luck with the conversion. Let us know how much it degraded.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BDRB seems to have a way to convert and save to BDR.Click image for larger version

Name:	BDRB screenshot.JPG
Views:	505
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	23494
    I love children, girl children... about 16-40
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote