VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My system is a win7-x64 with ATI HD 4550. This card supports hardware accellaration - DXVA - for the following video formats:

h264 (mkv, mp4, avi), VC-1 (wmv) & MPEG2 (dvd)
    http://www.missingremote.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2564&Itemid=230...1&limitstart=1

H264
    - the newest ffdshow filter supports DXVA and i can play at least mkv, mp4 & avi files using DXVA with ffdshow with i.g. Zoom Player... it seems to work
    - a nice guide for h264: http://www.thehtpc.net/htpc/ffdshow-dxva-w...les-i-think-so/
    - another option is to use MPC-HT for h264

The formats MPEG2 & VC-1: MPEG2, DVD and HD WMV work with WMP 12 but not with other Players?

I'm looking for a guide/hints on which filters/codecs to use and how to configure any other player than wmp 12 to play the latter formats using DXVA.
    Thanks a lot in advance.
    Last edited by nic; 22nd Jun 2010 at 02:22.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried MPC-HC? It works fine with DXVA and H.264

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. thanks. yes i did, as i mencioned above. h264 works well with the newest ffdshow with MPC as well.

But no success with vc-1 and mpeg2
    Last edited by nic; 22nd Jun 2010 at 01:36.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, I missed the mention of MPC. But in ffdshow video decoder configuration have you checked the VC-1 codec to see what's decoding it? Same with MPEG-2, though that should have worked. Mine is set at wmv9 for VC-1 and plays them with Zoom or MPC with no problem. MPEG-2 is set to the libavcodec.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks
    But are you sure ffdshow plays vc-1/mpeg2 on your system using DXVA and the display card GPU? It does not seem so. But maybe you do not notice it if a case you have a monster CPU

Because, as far as i understand it wright, you have to set vc-1 to "disable" in the standard ffdshow "Video decoder configuration" and tick it as active in the "DXVA Video decoder configuration":

http://www.thehtpc.net/htpc/ffdshow-dxva-with-subtitles-i-think-so

The entry "DXVA Video decoder configuration" is a new one, only present in the newest ffdshow tryouts:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/files/SVN%20builds%20by%20clsid/generic%20builds

Otherwise, i think, ffdshow decodes vc-1 using the standard decoder "wmv9", as it does on my system as well, but with a heavy CPU load of 100%.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To use your cards acceleration you will need to not use any other codec. You will need to use the ATI codecs. Now that isn't to say that if you use ffdshow and zoom player you will not be using hardware acceleration, you will just not through the original ATI way.
    Quote Quote  
  7. thanks, bigstusexy, but i do not understand what you want to say

Is your answer about getting DXVA with vc-1 and mpeg2? If so: please give us some more detailed hints/steps on how to do it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When you use a play like Media Player Classic, or VLC (not sure about zoom player) they have built in, internal codecs which you will have to turn off. You should see come codecs if you have program that lists all the codecs you have (like graphedit) from ATI, you will have to run the video from these codecs to take advangae of ATI's accleration. If you use FFDshow to decode these files you can take advantage of DXVA but it will be only what they provide and how they provide it. ATI says that their AVIVO HD provides superior results (no idea if its true) and I do not know if using FFDshow's will provide that.

So for acceleration to work it seems like you have to have hardware support, codec support and possibly the correct output(system) support.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nic View Post
    My system is a win7-x64 with ATI HD 4550. This card supports hardware accellaration - DXVA - for the following video formats:

h264 (mkv, mp4, avi), VC-1 (wmv) & MPEG2 (dvd)
    All works in PRO version of SPlash now but WMV is not supported yet
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I always advice, check your configuration with DXVAChecker. It shows does your gpu even return vc-1, mpeg2 dxva guids.
    Quote Quote