VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, I'm fairly new to ripping and bare with me if this question has been asked before, but I cannot find it.

I've encountered a few discs lately that seem to rip fine using mactheripper, they compress fine using dvd2onex, but when I try to burn them either using toast, dvd2one or even mac os, they go so slow I eventually give up on them with the estimated completion time being 10+ hours as opposed to the 5 minutes or so that other discs take. I first thought it was a bad blank disc, but that doesnt seem to be the problem. It happens only with specific discs I try to back up, it seems to specifically those with both RCE and RPC protection but I could be wrong. The most recent one was fantastic Mr. Fox. Both the ripped and compressed versions I've saved to my HD seem to play fine, but it's driving me nuts.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It doesn't sound like a burning problem. Try converting one into ISO format and use just a burning program. ISOs should burn at normal speed. It sounds like your programs are re-encoding them before burning.

They also probably aren't being decrypted properly. Some newer DVDs use advanced encryption and you might have to wait a while before the decrypters catch up. Sony and a few others are typically problematic.

And if you have Mac specific questions, usually better to ask them in our Mac Forum.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply redwudz. Unfortunately I cannot post duplicate threads, but maybe a moderator will see this and move it.

Anyways, I'm tending to agree with you. The interesting thing is that often when this happens, and it's happening with some frequency of newer dvd's, if I use mactheripper and rip the disk again it burns the way it's supposed to. If I do not re-rip the disc however every time I try it burns slow. Sometimes it takes two tries with mactheripper to get a copy that won't burn slow but that's rare. Also, the ripped copies on my HD that burn slow still seem to play fine.

I've since switched from mactheripper to ripit which seems to have solved the problem, but I've only done three discs with ripit. I believe ripit is open source, which seems to be the way to go with software that requires constant updating to remain viable.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'll move this to our Mac Forum.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    kookala, what version of MTR do you have? We are up to MTR 4.0.1.
    Quote Quote