VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hate when I put in a DVD, traditional players force you to watch the beginning logos and FBI warnings. For example windows media player doesn't let you skip to the root menu until these segments have finished playing.

Can anyone recommend a player that allows you to go around all those traditional restrictions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    About all you can do with most software players is to hit the FF or the 'skip to end' icon. Some players may let you hit 'enter' a few times during initial playback and may be able to skip to the main movie. But Hollywood doesn't want you to do this, so players tend to adhere to their desires. Advertising, Advertising. Disney movies tend to waste quite a bit of time showing previews.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One thing I like is a lot if not most of the FOX produced discs do let you skip their intros.

A get around for this is to rip the disc and play it off the computer. If you rip in iso mode you preserve everything. Use vlc or mpchc to play the iso. Then you'll be able to play it like a regular disc with the ability to skip whatever you want.

Use dvdfab decrypter or anydvd to rip. Dvdfab decrypter has a free version but anydvd is payware.

If its an older disc you could possibly rip it with dvd shrink or dvd decrypter directly. However neither have been updated in many many years. An advantage of using anydvd is it will unlock the disc for you and you can either rip with anydvd directly or use any other ripping program while anydvd is running in the background to do the decrypting - the program you choose will then be able to do the ripping even if its really old and not updated (the anydvd program is actually doing the decrypting, the program you use afterwords will be doing the ripping function).
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't accept there aren't any programs that can do this. There HAS to be some renegade non-commercial DVD player by an independent programmer that does this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by joshua4 View Post
    I don't accept there aren't any programs that can do this. There HAS to be some renegade non-commercial DVD player by an independent programmer that does this.
    Wow.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So you want a soft player ? VLC, The KM Player, MPC HC. All of these will skip the warnings and previews. If you search has gone no further than WMP then you really haven't done any looking at all.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote