VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How can I convert a .vob file to a format playable by my new BluRay player?

I tried converting it using AVIDemux, but I get massive audio sync issues. I even tried doing a stream copy into a MKV container and had no luck in doing so. I had the same audio sync problem.

I did some reading and found out that MPEG-2 streams can be variable frame rate? If so, how can I correct this so that I can successfully stream copy it into a MKV container?

The player supports MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 streams with AAC or AC3 audio using MKV, MP4, and AVI containers. I want it to be 100% of the original .vob because disk space isn't an issue.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by alexv305 View Post
    How can I convert a .vob file to a format playable by my new BluRay player?

I tried converting it using AVIDemux, but I get massive audio sync issues. I even tried doing a stream copy into a MKV container and had no luck in doing so. I had the same audio sync problem.
    That's because taking only one VOB is almost a guarantee you will have sync issues....it has nothing to do with the tools you are using. Extract to one mpeg file with something like Vob2Mpeg and go from there.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    That's because taking only one VOB is almost a guarantee you will have sync issues....it has nothing to do with the tools you are using. Extract to one mpeg file with something like Vob2Mpeg and go from there.
    I ripped it using RipIt4Me and DVD Decrypter. Then I used DVD Shrink to remove the extra audio tracks and subtitles. I also turned off the file splitting feature in DVD Shrink so I ended up with a 4gb VOB file. The VOB file itself plays perfectly with no sync issues. So your saying to use Vob2Mpeg and then import the MPEG into AVIDemux?
    Quote Quote  
  4. MPEG-2 by its very nature is already a very lossy format.
    VOB is just a container of streams, in this case: an MPEG-2 encoded video file and an AC3 (or PCM uncompressed) audio file.
    The only 'other' format with high quality that I can think of is h.264, but be aware that you can't obtain a quality higher than what your MPEG-2 has.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If it is a new DVD....you better consider using tools that are not 3 to 5 years out of date....and a 4GB VOB file would always be bad news in my book. A VOB file exists for DVD proposes only and in the proper DVD structure a VOB file is limited to 1GB.
    Just start from scratch with an up-to-date ripper like DVDFabDecrypter....then use DVDShrink to remove the un-necessary stuff....output it to a proper DVD structure....then use Vob2Mpeg on that folder.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by subc View Post
    MPEG-2 by its very nature is already a very lossy format.
    VOB is just a container of streams, in this case: an MPEG-2 encoded video file and an AC3 (or PCM uncompressed) audio file.
    The only 'other' format with high quality that I can think of is h.264, but be aware that you can't obtain a quality higher than what your MPEG-2 has.
    Correct. I understand that. Then is there a way to do a stream copy to a MKV or MP4 container? The BluRay player I am using will play MKV and MP4 with MPEG-2 streams, but it won't play a VOB.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The Blu-Ray player plays DVDs, doesn't it? So why do anything at all to the DVD?

If for some reason you want a smaller size to fit on a DVD5, then reauthor your original DVD to make a smaller DVD. Use DVD Shrink to cut out the stuff you don't want and shrink the size. Or use DVD-Rebuilder to shrink it down. Or demux your big VOB file and add the audio and video to Muxman to reauthor it.
    I also turned off the file splitting feature in DVD Shrink so I ended up with a 4gb VOB file.
    A dumb idea if you wanted to get a playable DVD out of it.
    Last edited by manono; 19th Jun 2010 at 23:00.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you must have a single file, use MakeMKV to simply shift the video and audio content to an mkv container with no re-encoding, and therefore no quality change.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote