VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello I am new to this forum, I have a question that has probably been answered but I cannot find it. I just bought a Dell Inspiron 1764 with I5 and Vista 7. Not a bad laptop, but come to find out it does not have a Firewire. I have a Canon Mini DV that uses a firewire. So I am trying to figure out how to download my movies to computer. It does have 4 USB which I have read will degrade the video if I use a converter. It also has an HDMI but I am not sure if I can use that. So I was wondering if there is an external hard drive that would work or maybe an external firewire hub. There is no place for an internal port. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by danman46 View Post
    Hello I am new to this forum, I have a question that has probably been answered but I cannot find it. I just bought a Dell Inspiron 1764 with I5 and Vista 7. Not a bad laptop, but come to find out it does not have a Firewire. I have a Canon Mini DV that uses a firewire. So I am trying to figure out how to download my movies to computer. It does have 4 USB which I have read will degrade the video if I use a converter. It also has an HDMI but I am not sure if I can use that. So I was wondering if there is an external hard drive that would work or maybe an external firewire hub. There is no place for an internal port. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    You can't. Find a computer with an IEEE-1394 port and capture there. Then copy the file to your new laptop.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote